Is your steelbook rusting?

n3wk1d

Premium Supporter
Sep 26, 2010
Singapore
Not sure if this should be the correct place to post this but I think some awareness is needed since more and more new comers are entering this steelbook arena. :D

My buddy in Singapore sent me a photo of his rusty steelbook and I was shocked to see how badly it is.

The title is famous "gladiator" from uk first release. I'll post up the picture soon.

If any of you guys have experience or having any steelbook in your collection is rusty, please share them here. We need a solution to treat them so they won't spread.

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
i decided to do a little test.

i polished half of the steelbook. there is a subtle difference between 'before' (no polish) and 'after' (polished) which shows up more on matte finish steelbooks. i tried it on the cinderella case, but since it already has a high gloss finish, there was very little affect in appearance.

i know, i know...i have way too much time on my hands;)

ba4.jpg

ba1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: entreri
Do SteelBooks rust?

Not sure whether this has been discussed here on HDN already, but during the writing of my previous thread about SteelBooks being a posterity investments, I became curious whether SteelBooks rust?

As the name suggests, SteelBooks are most likely made of steel. They're clearly not made of stainless steel, or else they wouldn't be able to be painted easily. This leads me to believe that they will inevitably rust, unless they've been coated in a protective finish that prevents this from happening

I would guess that conditions would have to be rough in order for a SteelBook to rust. The SteelBook would have to be extremely mistreated, possibly with various scratches. They would also have to be exposed to water or moisture. Could a SteelBook rust in an extremely humid atmosphere, perhaps?

Does anyone own, or has anyone ever seen, a rusted SteelBook? If so, how likely is it that the hundreds of SteelBooks that we enjoy collecting will rust and become worthless? No doubt you've all thought about this at some point or another...

Rust is oxidation of ferrous metal, i.e. a chemical reaction between steel and oxygen. It will occur when bare metal is exposed to air, and does not require moisture, although that will greatly speed up the process.

That looks disturbing for a great steelbook to get a treatment like that i hope mine dont go like that have to be extra careful know i think as Zoneism has stated its probably due to the climate...

Just a little question. I've bought a couple of steelbooks secondhand in the past and they've had specks of rust dotted about on them, however I also have some much older Definitive Edition X-Men DVD steelbooks which I bought firsthand that are rust free, even with a couple of paint chips.

What can cause this to happen?

The only thing that will allow metal such as a steelbook to oxidize, (to my knowledge), is a lack of any sort of coating to prevent contact with moisture and air such as a coating or paint. So even the examples with chips without rust may have a coating that isn't visible that is preventing the oxidization.

So a redditer posted some picture of a Call of Duty Steelbook that has weird dark spots all over the front and back. I'm trying to help them figure out what's going on. I think it may be rust, but I'm not sure.

4TtyLsD.jpg
CXYzK56.jpg

This happened to my steelbook case of Black Ops. I got it on launch in 2010 and maybe within the year after that it got this but I never knew why. I tried Google but nothing. I tried alcohol, water but no luck. Afraid to use anything else in case it removes the color. I don't know anything about steelbook cases but I like collecting them. Recently I've used Reddit so I looked up this subreddit to see if someone has a solution. An explanation would be appreciated too. Because of this issue I've been keeping the discs in normal cases for games I constantly take out to play. Btw, the black spots also seem to have like little grains on them like the size of salt or something. Weird. Just a little though. I scratch but nothing removes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steelbooks/comments/3d99d2/steelbook_has_black_spots_why/

I have a steelbook that has started to rust on the edges. Heat (1995) Amazon.ca edition

Shame as its one of my favorite steels.