Is your steelbook rusting?

n3wk1d

Premium Supporter
Sep 26, 2010
Singapore
Not sure if this should be the correct place to post this but I think some awareness is needed since more and more new comers are entering this steelbook arena. :D

My buddy in Singapore sent me a photo of his rusty steelbook and I was shocked to see how badly it is.

The title is famous "gladiator" from uk first release. I'll post up the picture soon.

If any of you guys have experience or having any steelbook in your collection is rusty, please share them here. We need a solution to treat them so they won't spread.

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
To those of you who have steels with rust... how are you storing them? Mine were stored in boxes in a rather cold/damp room for almost 10 years with no sign of rusting thankfully... however, they're now displayed on a bookcase in my bedroom, but directly behind the bookcase is a radiator, and I only just realised yesterday how warm the steelbooks get from the radiator heat, which obviously worries me... does anyone think this could possibly damage them in some way over time? :ohno:

They have paint on them, which prevents rusting. I would presume those that have rusted steels have more to do with where they came from, how much paint was originally used, if the metal was properly prepared before hand etc.

That or if there is some exposed metal parts and then being in wet environment.

They have paint on them, which prevents rusting. I would presume those that have rusted steels have more to do with where they came from, how much paint was originally used, if the metal was properly prepared before hand etc.

That or if there is some exposed metal parts and then being in wet environment.
Does it seem like its the steelbooks from outside the usa that are having the problem

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I was looking my steelbooks yesterday, and I realize that each time I look they look more weird. I collect steelbooks about 6 years, and only two years ago I decided to remove them from the original packing and displaying on shelfs. So a while back, I noticed a few of them, mostly the oldest ones, from Zavvi, which I opened when I bought, (espeacilly Bugs Life and Back Swan) looks like the painting was getting off, and (maybe) a rust taking place. I live in Brazil, but I don't live anywhere close to a beach. I set up my room with that anti mold pot, which basically sucks the moisture from the air, and I also installed an air conditioning, that I leave in the anti moisture function. And from the anti mold thing, I can see there isn't much moisture here. And even then, I see some other steelbooks getting this way, like Interstellar, Wall-E, Contagion, etc. The wird thing is, it's looks like it only happens (or starts?) on the spine, where is exposed.

So, I'd like to know, does anyone know what else could I do? Does plastic covers or that hard plastic slips would work for better or for worse? Which one would be best? Thanks.

It's so sad to see this happens, because, I know it isn't just me, and we invest so much money and time on this, and it looks like we can see everything going down so fast, which makes me reflect on future purchases, even that I don't want to give up on my steel collection :dunno:

IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0680.jpg IMG_0683.jpg IMG_0684.jpg

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I was looking my steelbooks yesterday, and I realize that each time I look they look more weird. I collect steelbooks about 6 years, and only two years ago I decided to remove them from the original packing and displaying on shelfs. So a while back, I noticed a few of them, mostly the oldest ones, from Zavvi, which I opened when I bought, (espeacilly Bugs Life and Back Swan) looks like the painting was getting off, and (maybe) a rust taking place. I live in Brazil, but I don't live anywhere close to a beach. I set up my room with that anti mold pot, which basically sucks the moisture from the air, and I also installed an air conditioning, that I leave in the anti moisture function. And from the anti mold thing, I can see there isn't much moisture here. And even then, I see some other steelbooks getting this way, like Interstellar, Wall-E, Contagion, etc. The wird thing is, it's looks like it only happens (or starts?) on the spine, where is exposed.

So, I'd like to know, does anyone know what else could I do? Does plastic covers or that hard plastic slips would work for better or for worse? Which one would be best? Thanks.

It's so sad to see this happens, because, I know it isn't just me, and we invest so much money and time on this, and it looks like we can see everything going down so fast, which makes me reflect on future purchases, even that I don't want to give up on my steel collection :dunno:

View attachment 369074 View attachment 369075 View attachment 369076 View attachment 369077 View attachment 369080 View attachment 369081 View attachment 369082
I’ve had these issues before but it’s only been with Matte Steelbooks. Glossy ones don’t seem to suffer with the same problems. It is disappointing, I don’t think there’s anything you can do. Mine were kept in poly sleeves and it still happened. I presume it’s just the finishing of the steel, glossy definatly holds up better than matte.

I’ve had these issues before but it’s only been with Matte Steelbooks. Glossy ones don’t seem to suffer with the same problems. It is disappointing, I don’t think there’s anything you can do. Mine were kept in poly sleeves and it still happened. I presume it’s just the finishing of the steel, glossy definatly holds up better than matte.
I thought about that when I first saw these a while back, and saw that's onlyhappening to Matte Steelbooks. But now I see on Glossy too, just a small and single dot in one or another, and this Interstellar, which ooks bad. :dunno:

I thought about that when I first saw these a while back, and saw that's onlyhappening to Matte Steelbooks. But now I see on Glossy too, just a small and single dot in one or another, and this Interstellar, which ooks bad. :dunno:
I’m not sure why it’s happening. I know all metal rusts eventually but you wouldn’t expect it so quickly. I believe gloss is an acres treatment over a matte Steelbook so that explains why glossy is more hard wearing. I see it’s hallening on your glossy Steels too though. You could maybe try putting them in sleeves and seeing if it does help. I don’t believe it makes much difference but it’s worth a try. There is noting more dissapointing than seeing your Steels rust.

• Thanks
Reactions: guilago
I’m not sure why it’s happening. I know all metal rusts eventually but you wouldn’t expect it so quickly. I believe gloss is an acres treatment over a matte Steelbook so that explains why glossy is more hard wearing. I see it’s hallening on your glossy Steels too though. You could maybe try putting them in sleeves and seeing if it does help. I don’t believe it makes much difference but it’s worth a try. There is noting more dissapointing than seeing your Steels rust.
Yes, especially when you dedicated a lot (and I mean A LOT) of money, time, and see a lot of them getting this way :grumpy: it really makes me wonder about future releases

Reactions: Sigill
Just found this problem with my collection of steelbooks too, was sorting through my whole blu-ray collection and started on the steelbooks and saw that one had rust on it, so went through my whole steelbook collection closely and found about 15 steelbooks with rust on... I use to keep them in polybags years ago but then got rid of the bags but now I'm thinking of getting them again to at least stop any scratching when getting them off the shelves.

Having them in polybags will not cause any build up in the bag to increase rusting or cause it? I would like to have them in bags again for the scratching reason.

It seems to be older steelbooks, cheapy ones and mostly matt - especially older ones from Germany(the dvd steelbooks had a lot on) I've noticed. Bit pissed that my first release Zombieland steelbook from Germany has rust on it for example.

It's really put me off buying steelbooks now as I'd always be worrying they are going to rust. :cry::grumpy::arghh:

Sorry to hear others on here are having problems with the rust.

Last edited:
Humm, asked Scanavo about rust and steelbooks and they didn't give much information but it was interesting what they said about putting steelbooks in polybags:

As long as the SteelBook® cases are stored at a place without high humidity, extreme temperatures and the like, then they should not rust.

I have not heard about issues with rust on SteelBook’s before. My best advice is to keep them at a normal room temperature and out of direct sunlight.

I would not recommend to have your SteelBook’s in polybags, when you have them at home on shelves. If you’re travelling, then it could be a good idea you put them in polybags to avoid scratches.

As soon as I get my steelbook it's goes right into a protective steelbook cover and thankfully in the UK we don't suffer humidity problems which is a big big help. To date no problems with any steelbook. Also I keep them in proper cupboards with doors so no light gets at them.

^ I'm in the UK too, that's why I'm so puzzled as to why a lot of mine are rusting. I've added a few photos of some of mine with what looks like rust on, the Silent Hill one was the worse I've found so far. Quite a lot of my steelbooks have a few spots like in the photos appearing.

steelrust (1).JPGsteelrust (2).JPGsteelrust (3).JPGsteelrust (4).JPGsteelrust (5).JPG

Old dvd steels. Perhaps cheaply applied paint before perfecting methods.

Maybe buy a dehumidifier if effecting a lot of yours.

Also most poly bags are NOT acid free thus your adding acid over time

Comic book world has to replace poly bags like every 5 years unless using acid free Mylar

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Koo Koo
Yes, only regular size cassette tapes and only room for 864 but one way to store regular steelbooks by keeping them out of direct sunlight . . .
1536271204660.png

Storing them properly is of course important but steelbooks shouldn't rust if manufactured correctly and treated with respect . . . after all, in the manufacturing process they should all be primed, painted and then varnished from Matte through Satin, Zero to Full Gloss - and rust obviously doesn't attack varnish or paint.
I'd guess the trouble stars when there are dings and tiny scratches - maybe even too small to notice without a magnifying glass - exposing the bare metal.

Apart from keeping steelbooks out of direct sunlight - sensible advice for just about anything of value including fabrics, watercolour paintings etc. - and of course well away from damp. Handling them with cotton gloves seems sensible too . . .
. . and, as mentioned by the manufacturer, it's not recommended to use polybags to protect your steelbooks . . . rather, Mylar which has far greater resistance against fungus, mould, mildew attack . . . or to prevent scratches those translucent protective slips which prevent the steelbooks from rubbing against each other.

Worst attack I've come across has got to be this one:-
Before ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- after ----------------------------------------------------------------------
1536273753826.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Koo Koo
Yes, only regular size cassette tapes and only room for 864 but one way to store regular steelbooks by keeping them out of direct sunlight . . .
View attachment 391941

Storing them properly is of course important but steelbooks shouldn't rust if manufactured correctly and treated with respect . . . after all, in the manufacturing process they should all be primed, painted and then varnished from Matte through Satin, Zero to Full Gloss - and rust obviously doesn't attack varnish or paint.
I'd guess the trouble stars when there are dings and tiny scratches - maybe even too small to notice without a magnifying glass - exposing the bare metal.

Apart from keeping steelbooks out of direct sunlight - sensible advice for just about anything of value including fabrics, watercolour paintings etc. - and of course well away from damp. Handling them with cotton gloves seems sensible too . . .
. . and, as mentioned by the manufacturer, it's not recommended to use polybags to protect your steelbooks . . . rather, Mylar which has far greater resistance against fungus, mould, mildew attack . . . or to prevent scratches those translucent protective slips which prevent the steelbooks from rubbing against each other.

Worst attack I've come across has got to be this one:-
Before ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- after ----------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 391942

"Bioshock", couldn't have put it any better lol

On a serious note, thanks for all the good info on the topic.

Humm, asked Scanavo about rust and steelbooks and they didn't give much information but it was interesting what they said about putting steelbooks in polybags:

As long as the SteelBook® cases are stored at a place without high humidity, extreme temperatures and the like, then they should not rust.

I have not heard about issues with rust on SteelBook’s before. My best advice is to keep them at a normal room temperature and out of direct sunlight.

I would not recommend to have your SteelBook’s in polybags, when you have them at home on shelves. If you’re travelling, then it could be a good idea you put them in polybags to avoid scratches.
SteelBook Central's polys are all good though given they say "acid free", right??? :cautious:

@Wreck

Old dvd steels. Perhaps cheaply applied paint before perfecting methods.

Yep, the Silent Hill one was a dvd steelbook matt finish from Germany, worst one I've found, seemed cheaply made like the Scream dvd steelbook too. All my dvd steelbooks have rust on apart from one, thankfully I haven't got many of those. Indeed possible about the before perfecting methods idea.

Also most poly bags are NOT acid free thus your adding acid over time

Yep, staying away from the polybags now, I had them on my steelbooks a few years back but didn't feel comfortable with the things so took them off the steelbooks. Especially now a company that makes steelbooks say it's best not to... and the acid thing! :wow:

I had two steelbooks, spares, in a cupboard and had been there since I got them(a few years ago) and they have the beginnings of rust on them too.

Mine are all out on shelves in the spare room, no damp or water problems, away from the window but not direct sunlight. I hardly ever move them apart from when I want to watch one so they are all on the shelves most of the time with no movement. I have a feeling it's your idea of dings and scratches exposing the metal. I had a very small but deep scratch on one steelbook and it's now got the beginnings of rust on(my Captain America, sigh...). Must be on too small to notice scratches because a few of mine that I checked so closely when I first got them had no scratches on but they are rusting now.

It tends to be at the corners and edges where the paint would wear or scratch easily, don't have any steelbooks with rust on the actual flat front or back. It's all on the edges, corners, spine.

Handling them with cotton gloves seems sensible too . .

I have some I've never used, so will start to handle my steelbooks with the gloves on from now on.

Last edited:
Do you think they would sell on something like ebay? if I mention that a steelbook has rust on(like ones with rust starting, dots of rust), would anyone buy if it was an out of print one even with the rust?

I took a look at my collection a few days ago and found a few more with rust on that was not there the last time I looked and getting sick of the steelbooks now. I've stopped buying them completely and sticking to slipcovers/other non metal editions.

I'm only keeping the ones I really like that don't have rust on yet and selling the others that have no rust in case they start to rust in the future...

:offtopic::arghh: