John Carter (3D Blu-ray Viva Metal Box) (Future Shop Exclusive) [Canada]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Saybinator-June 5 release date.

It will be a 3D Blu-ray Combo with a MSRP of $39.99

john_carter1.jpg

The same description was used on FS site for the previous 'Viva Metal Cases'.

Per Saybinator at FS Forum, this will have Exclusive artwork only in Canada:

Update from our contact at Walt Disney Home Entertainment:

The Disney Global Product Team has confirmed other markets may have a collectable packaging in some format, but NONE of them will have a John Carter Collectable Package with the Artwork I previously posted.

Future Shop will have Global Exclusive Artwork on John Carter Collectable Packaging.

So like it or love it, exclusive artwork for Canadians!

John Carter Collectable Packaging will be up for pre-order soon.

Details TBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill share an opinion on the flip side. The artwork is amazing on almost all viva's and quality of the case is pretty decent IMO. I dont see any flexing happening like you say. I hope studio's keep cranking these out... the artwork blows a lot of steel books and their mediocre artwork out of the water.

Way too much hate on these Viva's in the name of uniformity for people collections and exaggeration of their quality being poor when its not. If there is NO competition for Scanavo we the consumer will regret it deeply. Monopolies only ever served the corporation and its interests well.

There are a lot of SB snobs, personally I think vivas are on par if not better than steels

Reactions: Jason Bourne
Well its opinion, but all vivas are the same in form ... I like the difference of all the different types of printing Steelbooks have.

exactly! I enjoy all of the different forms of steel/metal. Just never understood the hate on one form or the other for whatever reason. Like "jcm" put it.. a lot of SB snobs, lol, and I never understood why. When a viva is clearly nicer then sb version i buy the viva if the sb is nicer then the viva version (case in point Lion King Asia steelbook and Lion King ca/usa viva) then ill get the sb.

Reactions: jcm
I think Vivas strongest point has been art selection. (besides Lion King ;p)

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

exactly! I enjoy all of the different forms of steel/metal. Just never understood the hate on one form or the other for whatever reason. Like "jcm" put it.. a lot of SB snobs, lol, and I never understood why. When a viva is clearly nicer then sb version i buy the viva if the sb is nicer then the viva version (case in point Lion King Asia steelbook and Lion Kind viva) then ill get the sb.

what I mean is , steelbooks come in many diff forms .... matte, gloss, varnish, crackle, raised lettering, diff print types etc. So far I've only seen one uniform for viva. THere are some nice vivas out there tho... just wondering when they will spring something new on us.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

what I mean is , steelbooks come in many diff forms .... matte, gloss, varnish, crackle, raised lettering, diff print types etc. So far I've only seen one uniform for viva. THere are some nice vivas out there tho... just wondering when they will spring something new on us.

Oh k i see what you mean. Yes, that is very true. The finish and style is always the same indeed on the viva's. But what a nice style it is :)

Something different would be a nice change of pace. Im sure whatever company that makes these doesn't have the same kind of luxuries (money, tech, etc.) as a company like say Scanavo has to be creative and create all those different kinda of finishes, etc. Just guessing.

Yeah I agree with your thoughts on the diff forms with steels. What I meant by "snobs" I meant they only buy steels and put down any other form of metal packaging suggesting lower quality.

+1

I'm waiting they release lenticular label for 3D effect for 3D blu-ray release just like they stated at their website here :scat:

wow, nice find Elena. Would love to see a steel done like that. I wonder if its something similar to like what was done on the IM2 metalpak from USA?

Or MAYBE these new MM exclusives with 3D Lenticular???
Ok, they advertise as Steelbooks currently... but that would not be the first time they do not know the difference at all ;-)

maybe Wreck can see/ask if these new MM exclusives (with 3D magnetic Lenticular "thing") are indeed Steelbooks :ohno:
Or the new Viva "feature" EEK!

Or MAYBE these new MM exclusives with 3D Lenticular???
Ok, they advertise as Steelbooks currently... but that would not be the first time they do not know the difference at all ;-)

maybe Wreck can see/ask if these new MM exclusives (with 3D magnetic Lenticular "thing") are indeed Steelbooks :ohno:
Or the new Viva "feature" EEK!

its very much possible as people are still confused as to what those lenticular's on steel are all about at MM.

Anyone know if Viva's can be dismantled?

I know steelbooks can be pretty easy but I cannot find a safe way with these...

Yes they can

I had a pretty dinged up viva and decided to disassemble it and I found out how to take it apart.

If you have dings on the spine:
You need to open the viva and the center portion on the spine pops out fairly easily if you use a plastic knife. (don't worry it pops back in and you can't even see that it was ever removed) Then it gets a little complicated, you have to work the pins out (I used a small screwdriver) but BE CAREFUL (they go back in way easier than getting out). Once you get the pins out you essentially have 4 parts (the front panel, the back panel, the spine, and the inside piece of the spine) This will allow you to have room to work if you have a ding on the spine (just work it out on a flat surface with what you usually would for a steelbook (ie a piece of plastic or wood. Its ok to if it gets scratched because it is covered up with the insert piece of the spine

If you have dings on the front or back panel:
You can seperate the panels from the plastic by simple bending back the clips that were closest to the spine (which bend back when putting back together) and it comes apart like a steelbook. I was able to work the dings out through the plastic by using my fingers and sometimes the hard plastic end of a toothbrush (it takes some getting used to so practice if you have some really messed up vivas)

For dents on the edges:
This takes a little more work, but what works best is to build a wooden form to fit inside the case and outside and it simple pops out. (use a thin cloth as a buffer so you don't scratch the artwork) Its basic metal working but I would practice if you don't have experience.

For creases:
Sorry there is no hope, you can get them out if you are good at metalworking but the artwork will be ruined so it is pointless

Reactions: cassopeia and bd251