Release date: May 21, 2018
Purchase link: Zoom UK
Price: £25
Group Buy: Hosted by Cooey HERE

1.jpg

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always look at it this way, with the price drop it works out cheaper (as long as you buy the group) than the individual 4k amarays.

Got mine today without a dispatch email as yet.

Pleased to see the 4k discs feature an unadvertised sound upgrade to DTS:X

The DTSX is the best thing about the JP1 disc, it doesn't look bad by any means but I don't expect to be blown away by an early nineties film even in 4K/HDR but the sound is very good

• Thanks
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Why wouldn't you not be blown away. The best 4k discs to date have been old films especially ones shot and edited on film. I would image the likes of Ben Hur and the Hateful Eight to be the ultimate in 4k presentation if they get around to them. The Wizard of Oz would be amazing and I cant' wait to see what Warner have planned for 2001....

Why wouldn't you not be blown away. The best 4k discs to date have been old films especially ones shot and edited on film. I would image the likes of Ben Hur and the Hateful Eight to be the ultimate in 4k presentation if they get around to them. The Wizard of Oz would be amazing and I cant' wait to see what Warner have planned for 2001....

Having watched Jurassic Park and highlight skipped Lost World and JP3, 4k on these films reveals why the Digital Intermediate was invented for effects heavy films. Jurassic Park is now a bit like watching a Nolan film with the IMAX aspect ratio shifts - razor sharp practical shot, to soft CGI shot, to razor sharp practical shot.

It's the best the film has ever looked and likely ever will (and I spotted a subtle digital amend when the Spitter's frill pops out - since DVD you can see strings extending it out, but they're definitely gone on the 4k version) and yeah, the sound is absolutely amazing. A huge upgrade over Blu Ray for sure, but not a Blade Runner quality upgrade. Very pleased all the same.

Disagree massively, the best discs I own are the likes of Black Panther, The Revenant, Blade Runner 2049 all new films

Disagree massively, the best discs I own are the likes of Black Panther, The Revenant, Blade Runner 2049 all new films

The Two best films I've seen to date on 4k are Bridge over the River Kwai and the Original Tomb Raider. Both serious restorations and also show what film is capable of if the encoding is handled right. Another gem was in the cinema the other night with the one of showing of The Dam Busters. Interestingly enough and this i wasn't expecting. They'd tidied up the matt lines on the special effects. The Revenant is excellent but i haven't seen the other 2 on 4k to comment. And just as I'm posting my 4k Jurassic Park films just arrived though the door.....

• Helpful Post
Reactions: tommyh84
Got mine today without a dispatch email as yet.

Pleased to see the 4k discs feature an unadvertised sound upgrade to DTS:X
It was known that they would have DTS:X. Having said that, I didn't specifically check to see if Zoom stated it or not. Either way, it's good to know it's that good :happy: Can't wait, it's going to be a huge upgrade to my DVDs.

Received them all today. At least 3 out of 4 are bent out of shape, 2 badly... freaking awesome packaging LOL
Oh well, reason I'm writing is I hadn't realized, and I should have, that all of these have Dolby Vision :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Received them all today. At least 3 out of 4 are bent out of shape, 2 badly... freaking awesome packaging LOL
Oh well, reason I'm writing is I hadn't realized, and I should have, that all of these have Dolby Vision :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Man that sucks, sorry to hear mate as there’s nothing worse than a bent steel especially a JP one :(

Unfortunately the Jurassic Park Trilogy and Jurassic World apparently dont have Dolby Vision (n). Pieter on the “other site” has confirmed this is a misprint :banghead: and he’s pretty consistent as a very reliable source when it comes to DoVi releases. If this is incorrect I would gladly appreciate if you update us, cheers. Me personally I have the original Zavvi JP Steels and the HMV JW steel which I’m going doing a disc swap with the 4K disc once my US Amazon 25th Anniv 4K Boxset rolls up.

Last edited:
Oh ok, my bad, I haven’t opened these. It’s just what is printed on the j-card. If that guy is right then it’s quite the printing mistake, not once, not twice, but four times! Oh well.
Quite the mess Sony did with the pseudo DV update!

Oh ok, my bad, I haven’t opened these. It’s just what is printed on the j-card. If that guy is right then it’s quite the printing mistake, not once, not twice, but four times! Oh well.
Quite the mess Sony did with the pseudo DV update!

Ah it’s all good man, quite the boo boo indeed :facepalm: and I would be none the wiser as well if I didn’t stay up to date with the crazy world of DV :wacky:. Speaking of which that you’ve mentioned, I’m still ever so patiently waiting for Dolby Labs to certify the LL DV firmware that the Sony X1E tvs require for playback of DV on the OPPO 203. Are you in the same boat as me or do you have an LG OLED setup? Anywho mate enjoy JP and JW in 4K HDR + DTS:X

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it) I'm not an Oppo user. Nothing against them, great machines, but I went with an all Sony setup, have myself an X800 paired to an X900E. So no DV issues at all here LOL
I'm hoping Samsung get's it together with HDR10+ and Sony updates 2017 models. Wishful thinking most likely.

:D I’m not quite sure myself as I’ve been waiting since CES Jan 2017 for this DV firmware to watch DV 4K Blu’s over HDMI so it’s starting to become tiresome waiting for Dolby Labs to certify the OPPO for LL DV so the last hurdle can be overcome :ohno::ohno:. Nice setup by the way :thumbs: I personally have a ZD9 + OPPO 203 combo which delivers on all fronts. Yeah DV is only coming to the Sony X1E’s tv which is a shame they didn’t share more of the love. Sammy and their HDR10+ yeah not sure how that’s going to pan out for them as they only have Fox, Amazon and limited support from WB so far, but guess we will wait and see. Exciting times ahead! So what are you going to do about your bent JP Steels? are you going to send them back for replacements?

Initially, after seeing the photos of the nordic steels, I wanted to get them some custom slips lol Lately I had been toying with the idea that that may not be enough and I might be better off with the UK/German steels and these 4K discs. And now that I have 3 bananas I'm sure I won't go with the slips. So I'll probably track down some other steelbook/s like the red jumbo trilogy or the German ones.
I emailed Zoom yesterday to complain, not heard back yet, but it was more to vent and request they start packing these better. It's not cost-effective for me to ship these back, wait 1-2 weeks for them to receive it, then 1-3 weeks to receive replacements, with no guarantees that they'll be mint next time around. So for the price I got these I'm inclined to just cut my losses and go with new steels sourced from the second hand market. If I lived in the UK or if these were embossed/debossed I would be taking a different approach. For this time, I'm happy with the 4K discs that much that I'm willing to let this go.

Oh, regarding TV's, players, and HDR, I'm not worried about lack of DV, I knew it when I purchased. I'll be buying a different setup in a year or two, most likely, when HDMI 2.1 is standard and the smoke has cleared on DV/HDR10+. For now I'm really happy with my setup. ZD9 of course is a little better :D Untouchable by OLEDs.

Ahh I see your dilemma as your in abit of a pickle with the replacement process. Honestly it wouldn’t be worth going through the stress and trouble as like you say there’s a good chance you will get a few more banana Steels :(. Also you would be without your JP 4K discs which would be the biggest blow! I think your rationalisation with getting the Germany / UK original Steels is a fantastic idea as it’s the path I took ;) and man on man the JP Steels are something else glossed and bossed to the nines and are a real beauty in hand which are easily candidates for one of the best Steels I have in my collection. I took your wave of thinking aswell and grabbed the US Amazon 4K set as it was the cheapest way I could acquire all 4 Jurassic 4K discs.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k