Slipbox King Kong (1933) (Blu-ray Slipbox) (HMV Exclusive Premium Collection) [UK]

lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: February 27, 2017
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99

King Kong.jpg King Kong 2.jpg
The newly remastered film is presented in it's 1933 entirety and includes scenes that were originally considered too shocking for the 1938-1956 re-releases. A film ahead of it's time, King Kong defied the technological limitations of the 1930's. Special effects pioneer Willis O'Brien's revolutionary stop-motion animation was not only technically brilliant but also highly imaginative. With equal parts adventure, horror and old-fashioned romance, king Kong is a milestone of moviemaking that has endured for more than seven decades.

Blu-ray contents:
  • Commentary with Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston, Fay Wray,& Merian C. Cooper
  • I'm King Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper
  • RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong,Eighth Wonder of the World
  • "Creation" Test Footage with Commentary by Ray Harryhausen
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • The Lost Spider Pit Sequence
DVD contents
  • Commentary with Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston, Fay Wray,& Merian C. Cooper

Last edited:
I don't currently own this on Blu (I've actually never seen the original Kong before :bag:), and although I'd prefer to have the digibook, it's obviously pretty hard to get hold of over here in the UK, so this edition will do me just fine instead! :D

Those are so amazing! I really want to get King Kong, Robin Hood and Excalibur. I would've loved if they included a Booklet in all editions instead of the art cards.
They are really nice in hand mate... could maybe do without the foil/shiny parts though IMO. I mostly like them for the fact that they use the original poster art if I'm honest lol. I'd also prefer it if they all came with booklets rather than post cards. Either way, I'll definitely be picking up more of them! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and dan8885
They are really nice in hand mate... could maybe do without the foil/shiny parts though IMO. I mostly like them for the fact that they use the original poster art if I'm honest lol. I'd also prefer it if they all came with booklets rather than post cards. Either way, I'll definitely be picking up more of them! :)

I also really like them because of the original one sheets from the movies. On the other hand, they're expensive for what it is. Most movies from that line you can get for around 5 GBP.
So I think they overpriced it a little bit for "just" a Slipcover and the cards or booklet. Especially when they always complain that catalog titles don't sell well. And for me, I need to "import" them what makes it even more expensive. I really hope HMV do another 3 for 25 GBP for them like they did early January, I missed. That's a fair price.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles

Which titles are in the full line? Is there a list somewhere?

I also really like them because of the original one sheets from the movies. On the other hand, they're expensive for what it is. Most movies from that line you can get for around 5 GBP.
So I think they overpriced it a little bit for "just" a Slipcover and the cards or booklet. Especially when they always complain that catalog titles don't sell well. And for me, I need to "import" them what makes it even more expensive. I really hope HMV do another 3 for 25 GBP for them like they did early January, I missed. That's a fair price.
I'd also like them to be cheaper (who wouldn't lol), but I figured I pay that much for releases by Arrow, Criterion, Indicator etc., so why not these? Plus I got them through the 2 for £25 deal anyway, so it wasn't too bad in the end. I'd be very tempted to pick up most of the others if they did end up in the 3 for £25 deal though!

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
You can see the full collection on HMV's site here bud...
http://store.hmv.com/blu-ray/the-premium-collection-on-blu-ray

Definitely some cool-looking releases in there. I've never seen Excalibur or Them, but those look especially great! Forbidden Planet and Gremlins 2 are ones that I'd definitely consider, but unsure about the replay value. I definitely don't like Gremlins 2 as much as the first film and I rarely ever watch it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
@Noodles Me likey! :drool: Can't wait to add this to the Collection! :hungry: Thanks for the pic Amigo! :photo: :thumbs:
No problem buddy. :thumbs:

Definitely some cool-looking releases in there. I've never seen Excalibur or Them, but those look especially great! Forbidden Planet and Gremlins 2 are ones that I'd definitely consider, but unsure about the replay value. I definitely don't like Gremlins 2 as much as the first film and I rarely ever watch it.
There's a lot of films in the selection that I've never seen before too... Forbidden Planet being one of them, even though I've owned the old ES exclusive steelbook since it was released years ago! I've always had a soft spot for Gremlins 2, as it's the one I remember most from my childhood. My 7 year old niece recently fell in love with the first Gremlins though and added loads of Gremlins items to her last Christmas list, so that made me super proud haha.

There's a lot of films in the selection that I've never seen before too... Forbidden Planet being one of them, even though I've owned the old ES exclusive steelbook since it was released years ago! I've always had a soft spot for Gremlins 2, as it's the one I remember most from my childhood. My 7 year old niece recently fell in love with the first Gremlins though and added loads of Gremlins items to her last Christmas list, so that made me super proud haha.

Man, if your 7-year-old niece fell in love with Gremlins, she's one brave little girl! Gremlins used to scare the bejeezus out of me as a kid! :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and harry
Man, if your 7-year-old niece fell in love with Gremlins, she's one brave little girl! Gremlins used to scare the bejeezus out of me as a kid! :p
Haha same here dude! She's an odd one... she scares over some ridiculous things (for example; she's terrified of Sonny from I Robot), yet loves stuff like Gremlins. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon