Kong: Skull Island - In theaters March 10, 2017

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Genre: [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Jordan Vogt-Roberts[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, Toby Kebbell, John C. Reilly

Plot: An action/adventure story centered on King Kong's origins.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
r2517Vz9EhDhj88qwbDVj8DCRZN.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Legendary just announced at SDCC that they're releasing a prequel to KING KONG called SKULL ISLAND! :)

Legendary surprised the Comic-Con crowd today in Hall H with a new take on the classic monster realm known as Skull Island. The announcement came in the form of a short trailer depicting a harsh, stormy, green land that culminated in the reveal of King Kong howling into the night. The king is back!

Skull Island is of course King Kong’s home, a realm of mystery and monsters. So while Kong is clearly going to be a big part of this film, the approach looks to also be an exploration of the island.

Does it exist in the same universe as Godzilla? It better!

This was the rare true Comic-Con surprise. We don't even know who's writing or directing the film yet, but we do know it has a release date: November 4, 2016.
Courtesy IGN
kingkong.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched several times and Love it, I don't mind the humor (if is used well, I don't want another Civil War), Kong is more lighter than Godzilla (yes, I prefer darker monster movies, that because I like more Godzilla than Kong), I will go with open mind and hope for a fun (but, inteligent) monster movie.

But I don't want a lot of monster movies with a lot of humor.

This is a mixed bag. The FX look really dodgy. And the director has a resume that suggests he has zero business directing a movie like this. (His CV is pathetic actually).

Although I've never heard of the director or his films but looking at the reception of his previous films he seems to get a good praise and he's also doing the metal gear solid film after this

I think just because he made a "coming of age" drama and a stand up film it don't mean he can't tackle a monster movie and looking at his next film MGS it suggests to me these are the types of films he wants to make. Good luck to him, I think this looks great

Look at James gunn, slither and super are very well made indie small budget films but to me so different to guardians and they had faith in him. And after watching those two (I love super) I would never thought he would have the right caliber for a marvel space film

@bloodsnake007 that end with him beating his chest to the drum beat was awesome

Also his blood red eyes whilst starting as Sam Jackson through the fire. I don't think the CGI looks that dodgy at all

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and tridon
Although I've never heard of the director or his films but looking at the reception of his previous films he seems to get a good praise and he's also doing the metal gear solid film after this

I think just because he made a "coming of age" drama and a stand up film it don't mean he can't tackle a monster movie and looking at his next film MGS it suggests to me these are the types of films he wants to make. Good luck to him, I think this looks great

Look at James gunn, slither and super are very well made indie small budget films but to me so different to guardians and they had faith in him. And after watching those two (I love super) I would never thought he would have the right caliber for a marvel space film

@bloodsnake007 that end with him beating his chest to the drum beat was awesome

Also his blood red eyes whilst starting as Sam Jackson through the fire. I don't think the CGI looks that dodgy at all
James Gunn has been ramping up with all his films up to Guardians. I did not think that was such a huge leap.
A guy who directs Funny or Die videos (?!!)....It means he just has friends in high places.

Reactions: Flloydo
James Gunn has been ramping up with all his films up to Guardians. I did not think that was such a huge leap.
A guy who directs Funny or Die videos (?!!)....It means he just has friends in high places.

See I couldn't see gunn ramping up to that one little bit

Yeah he made a small Sci fi/ alien/ monster comedy movie but to me so so so different to what he's doing with guardians i couldn't see the transition back then at all

But I like that marvel choose these smaller directors as well as house hold names and they see big potential in the leaser know ones and seem to treat them the same as a bigger name

Yeah I'm gutted Wright didn't make ant man but that one took me by surprise and i love it so I let that slip plus it still had scenes blatantley from Edgar's mind and vision

The Thor 3 director is also interesting, he's only made little indie New Zealand comedies with jermaine clement and a couple of flight of the conchords episodes but his films are all fantastic quirky little films (check out eagle vs shark and what we do in the shadows as an example - goth great) so the same arguement could be said for him that you said about this director but i don't agree with that. Many directors don't "find themselves" until their 3rd/ 4th/ 5th films even after complete genre changes

See I couldn't see gunn ramping up to that one little bit

Yeah he made a small Sci fi/ alien/ monster comedy movie but to me so so so different to what he's doing with guardians i couldn't see the transition back then at all

But I like that marvel choose these smaller directors as well as house hold names and they see big potential in the leaser know ones and seem to treat them the same as a bigger name

Yeah I'm gutted Wright didn't make ant man but that one took me by surprise and i love it so I let that slip plus it still had scenes blatantley from Edgar's mind and vision

The Thor 3 director is also interesting, he's only made little indie New Zealand comedies with jermaine clement and a couple of flight of the conchords episodes but his films are all fantastic quirky little films (check out eagle vs shark and what we do in the shadows as an example - goth great) so the same arguement could be said for him that you said about this director but i don't agree with that. Many directors don't "find themselves" until their 3rd/ 4th/ 5th films even after complete genre changes
Well, they also choose directors with no clout, so they are completely controllable.
Kevin Feige should get a director credit on all the Marvel movies.
In many of these instances where an unknown is directing Godzilla or Jurassic Park 3, they are hired to direct the actors. The rest is done by the higher ups. It is very much a puppet/puppetmaster situation.
By the time they hire the neophyte director, all the special effects and action scenes are well into the pre-vis stage.

A director's "CV" means nothing to me, and I'm surprised any other film fan would look that much in to it either... so many directors start out small, and more often than not their early stuff isn't that great, but like with most things you learn and grow and hopefully improve along the way. If their past entries were really anything to go by, then M. Night Syamalan should still be making mind-bending movies... which we all know he isn't. Even some of the best directors like Spielberg make a stinker every so often, but that doesn't mean they'll never produce something epic again (I even have hope for Shyamalan).

As for the director of Kong, Jordan Vogt-Roberts... he actually directed one of my favourite movies of 2013, Kings of Summer. I haven't seen any of his other stuff though, so obviously I can't comment on those... but to see that he went from directing numerous TV shows etc. to delivering something as great as KoS proves that it's worth giving people a chance IMO. I mean we'd probably miss out on so many amazing films if that wasn't the case, because loads of directors go from small to big, whereas I'm sure only a handful start out big and continue that way.

Fiery concept art from Kong: Skull Island :photo:

kong_fiery art.jpg

Source: ComingSoon.net
Empire has revealed this fiery concept art from Kong: Skull Island! Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts tells the magazine the movie is set at the height of the Vietnam War, when napalm was the weapon of choice.

“The script I first read took place in 1917,” he said. “But when I started talking to the Legendary guys, I was thinking, ‘What weird King Kong movie would I want to see?’ So I pitched them the Vietnam War connection, literally thinking they were gonna laugh me out of the room. And to Legendary’s credit, they said, ‘Cool. Let’s figure it out.’ The aesthetics of that time mixed with King Kong makes for an incredible genre mash-up.”