Release date: September 19th, 2016
Purchase links: Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £29.99
Notes: Includes UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray discs

11322120-1064410212496438.jpg

11322120-1604410212666037.jpg

11322120-1214410212552235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was hoping this would be in a gloss finish as white - and black - steelbooks somehow look far better and more luxurious in a glossy finish.
Then again, with all the fine intricate detailing in the artwork, I can kind of see the reasoning behind the reported matt varnish . . .

It's only two so far, dude ;) . . . but with a perfect choice of gorgeous top class original poster artwork, 4KUHD disc, new Extras not on previous editions and 20 quid price I'd be totally out of my tree to be complaining here :happy:
Granted, the front and back of this the very first 4KUHD U.K. steelbook doesn't exactly gel but that hardly matters and I reckon it's an interesting and superior item especially when compared to the very first U.K. regular steelbook (SWEENEY TODD) for which I have little affection.
No Blu-ray logo on the spine which I don't mind in the slightest and wouldn't have minded the absence of the studio logo too to join the club made up of all those clean uncluttered U.K. steelbook spines with titles only (like those examples posted in the BRONSON thread).

labyrinth-full-artwork-png.741997

Last edited:
Reactions: Flash
It's only two so far, dude ;) . . . but with a perfect choice of gorgeous top class original poster artwork, 4KUHD disc, new Extras not on previous editions and 20 quid price I'd be totally out of my tree to be complaining here :happy:
Granted, the front and back of this the very first 4KUHD U.K. steelbook doesn't exactly gel but that hardly matters and I reckon it's an interesting and superior item especially when compared to the very first U.K. regular steelbook (SWEENEY TODD) for which I have little affection.
No Blu-ray logo on the spine which I don't mind in the slightest and wouldn't have minded the absence of the studio logo too to join the club made up of all those clean uncluttered U.K. steelbook spines with titles only (like those examples posted in the BRONSON thread).

labyrinth-full-artwork-png.741997

I think it looks totally stunning, i've already pre-ordered and hope to see The Dark Crystal get this treatment too. Love the Drew Struzan art. Hopefully it's gloss, which would make it perfect to me.

I think it looks totally stunning, i've already pre-ordered. Love the Drew Struzan art.
That makes it 3 who've bought this :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I can see how you'd arrive at that conclusion based on the style of several of his works (including his poster work for INDIANA JONES) but, in actuality . . .

It's not the art that's the issues. It's that this has been chosen for 4k treatment. Of all the possible films to showcase 4k they chose a 30 year old puppet movie. At best you'll see how crappy it looks in more detail.

• Thanks
Reactions: JCC
I will also be buying this. Just waiting for the price to be 20 quid. Wish I would of ordered this the other day. The film is a classic.

It's not the art that's the isses. It's that this has been chosen for 4k treatment. Of all the possible films to showcase 4k they chose a 30 year old puppet movie. At best you'll see how crappy it looks in more detail.
A whole raft of 4KUHD films have been/are about to be released here in the U.K. and granted nearly all are of more recent vintage than LABYRINTH (such as DEADPOOL, THE REVENANT, GHOSTBUSTERS 1 & 2 and GHOSTBUSTERS 1 - 3 COLLECTION, SICARIO, HANCOCK, CREED, CONCUSSION, THE MARTIAN, SALT, THE CRIMINAL, PAN, CHAPPIE, KINGSMAN, THE FIFTH WAVE, BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE, MAN OF STEEL, DIVERGENT, GRIMSBY, THE EXPENDABLES 3, THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE, JASON BOURNE, IN THE HEART OF THE SEA, POINT BREAK (2015), ID 4, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (2014), PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, SMURFS 2, MAD MAX (2015), LEGO MOVIE, JOY, FANTASTIC 4 (2015), LIFE OF PI, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, SCORCH TRIALS, EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS, THE MAZE RUNNER, HITMAN: AGENT 47, SUICIDE SQUAD, X-MEN: APOCALYPSE, ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE, ID: RESURGENCE) there are still a few "oldies" there amongst the newer stuff.

Can't think why they decided on LABYRINTH 4K as the first U.K. steelbook in the same way that I can't fathom why SWEENEY TODD was picked as the first U.K. steelbook back in May, 2008 but in this case at least the artwork is stellar.
However, possible reasons might include:-
a) It's a bit of a cult classic for a certain generation even though it didn't do well at the box office with reported grosses of about half its budget.
b) 30th Anniversary with other special editions and a giftset planned with new Extras/Interviews.
c) Released in the same year as the death of its star, David Bowie, a music legend if ever there was one.

It could also be argued that ALIENS or one of the other big hitters of 1986 - such as TOP GUN, PLATOON, CROCODILE DUNDEE, THE GOLDEN CHILD, RUTHLESS PEOPLE, FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF, DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLEY HILLS - or my personal favourite of the bunch STAND BY ME - would have made for a more satisfying 4KUHD 30th Anniversary Steelbook Edition release but then again "one man's meat is another man's poison" . . . apart from the fact that some of these have not even had a BD release here in the U.K. and STAND BY ME already has a regular steelbook coming out in not more than a month's time . . . but not forgetting that LABYRINTH has already had a regular steelbook release in February of this year.

Sad to see such negativity towards firstly the films other people treasure from childhood, and secondly a studio willing to go to the trouble of actually presenting older films in 4K AND releasing them in Steelbook form. Hardly going to encourage them to 'waste their time' putting out other titles from the past if all they get is criticism amd negativity. After all, if it's not your cup of tea and you're not interested in owning it, why even comment?

I'd love to see a lot of eighties films get the steelbook treatment (and 4K if need be to get a steel release) such as Monster Squad, Elvira mistress of the dark, Troll, Masters of the Universe, garbage pail kids, death becomes her, outrageous fortune, down and out in Beverly Hills, Explorers, the Nightmare on Elm Streets, ruthless people, dark crystal, and The Gate.

As a collecting community we need to recognise that blu Ray is starting to fade slowly as more and more releases head to digital only (something I hate as I can't stand to pay for 'air') resulting in the studios turning to 4K as their next way to generate income through hard copy sales (until internet speeds and memory on set top boxes is increased as times go by to cope with larger and larger files) it's their natural way to still put out physical products to retailers for consumers to purchase before the digital rental companies take over and wipe them out completely.

That means blu Ray releases of movies will becomes scarcer and 4K discs increasing, so I applaud any studio putting out older films in 4K as frankly, a lot wouldn't even bother, and then the steelbook hobby would just die a death.

Confirmation from HMV for those of us that ordered this item when it appeared originally:-

Dear hmv Customer

We're getting in touch regarding your recent store. hmv. com pre-order:

Labyrinth 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Limited Edition Steelbook

Just to confirm, you will be receiving the Steelbook version.

Our initial listing of the standard 4K version of this title was mistakenly described as the Limited Edition steelbook. Please accept our apologies for this error, however, please be assured that we will, on this occasion, honour the original order placed and the steelbook version will be dispatched to you upon it's release, as was your original intention.

Apologies again for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Kind regards,

• Thanks
Reactions: admiralakbar
Sad to see such negativity towards firstly the films other people treasure from childhood, and secondly a studio willing to go to the trouble of actually presenting older films in 4K AND releasing them in Steelbook form. Hardly going to encourage them to 'waste their time' putting out other titles from the past if all they get is criticism amd negativity. After all, if it's not your cup of tea and you're not interested in owning it, why even comment?

Why comment? Because it's a discussion forum and I'm entitled to voice my opinion. Or would you rather this was an 'internet safe space' where noone can disagree with you and hurt your feels? Apart from my critique of the capitalization, which has since been removed, everything I have said is perfectly fine.

No ones 'feels' are hurt, we're all adults, just seems a tad pointless if it's not something you're interested in, but hey if you want to waste your energy on it, that's cool. No big whoop.

Last edited:
At least this is a genuine 4k release.
Quite so . . . as are ALL the titles listed in my post above.
As most will know already "Mastered in 4K" is just an upscaled 1080p disc whereas the examples listed above are genuine 2160p (4K) discs:-
CODEC: *HEVC / H.265 against MPEG-4AVC typically for standard Blu-ray
RESOLUTION: 4K 2160p against 1080p for standard Blu-ray
Typically BD-66 or BD-100 against BD-25 or BD-50 for standard Blu-ray

(At the time of writing probable a few hundred Mastered in 4K discs around with only about fifty genuine 4K)

*"High Efficiency Video Coding
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard one of several potential successors to the widely used AVC (H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10). In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers about double the data compression ratio at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate. It supports resolutions up to 8192×4320, including 8K UHD."

What is “Mastered in 4K”?
The term “Mastered in 4K” was invented by Sony and describes a Blu-ray disc in Full HD (1920×1080) format that has been remastered from an Ultra High Definition source. That means a “Mastered in 4K” disc is not True 4K content, the content is just derived from a 4K source.

“Mastered in 4K” movies are therefore optimised for upscaling which probably will look better than a standard Blu-ray on the same 4k television. Nevertheless “Mastered in 4K” discs can also be viewed on HDTVs.

Mastered in 4K vs. True 4K
Unlike “Mastered in 4K”, True 4K is content which is mastered and stored in the 4K resolution. It is not upscaled. True 4K is often referred to as Native 4K. Since True 4K content requires significantly more data storage then 1080p, the HEVC compression (H.265) was invented by the ITU. Through HEVC it might be possible to fit True 4K content on a Blu-ray disc.

Even though it doesn't have a gloss finish, the artwork itself is gorgeous and it's pretty much a no brainer for me since I was planning to get the uhd release anyway.