Tomb Raider - In theaters March 16, 2018

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Tomb Raider (2018)

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Roar Uthaug[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Alicia Vikander[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Walton Goggins[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Daniel Wu[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Leo Ashizawa[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dominic West[/ACTOR]

Plot: Archaeologist Lara Croft sets off on a series of international adventures.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
rcyPer7CGmDzWCczT4okv26clDj.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

THR is reporting that Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Danish Girl) has nabbed the highly coveted role of Lara Croft in the planned Tomb Raider reboot. Star Wars: The Force Awakens star Daisy Ridley was strongly rumored to be in the running, but sources indicate that Vikander was "always in the driver's seat".

Apparently Suicide Squad actress Cara Delevigne was also in contention.

Norwegian filmmaker Roar Uthaug will helm the new Tomb Raider movie, and it was recently confirmed that his film would be based on the plot of Square Enix 2013 version of the game which followed Croft on her first adventure.

There is no official release date yet.​

WOOT!
alicia-vikander-is-lara-croft-in-tomb-raider-reboot-social.jpg

Last edited:
Last I heard Daisy Ridley was in the running, but I'd be just as happy if Alicia was to be given the role. :drool:

EDIT - Literally just saw that it says the same thing I said about Daisy in the OP... almost word for word too lol.

Alicia is a good choice

Weird that cara was apparently considered.

Up for a new tomb raider film (done properly)

It's interesting casting, but unfortunately, I already feel like this'll bomb when it's released. A relatively unknown actress + a relatively unknown director + a Transformers writer = not quite the recipe for success.

Good choice IMO.

I think the trouble with Daisy is
1) Relatively new in the film industry and not really had a major challenge yet IMO, (Star Wars is massive but up until a certain bit it hers wasn't the most challenging of roles TBH)
2) Size i mean i think Alica will need to gain some mass but you could see it, Ridley looks more like Croft younger sister IMO.

But i agree with @tridon i can see this film not gaining big box office money.

It's interesting casting, but unfortunately, I already feel like this'll bomb when it's released. A relatively unknown actress + a relatively unknown director + a Transformers writer = not quite the recipe for success.

stranger things have happend. if done well might be a hit. tomb rider is such loved franchise. not big fan my self and 2 previous sucked big time IMO. these 2 new comers might bring some fresh air. if done by let's say M Bay he would do his thing with exploding explosions and other way over the top stuff. and not every film has to be box office topper to be a good film. many now classics flopped.

stranger things have happend. if done well might be a hit. tomb rider is such loved franchise. not big fan my self and 2 previous sucked big time IMO. these 2 new comers might bring some fresh air. if done by let's say M Bay he would do his thing with exploding explosions and other way over the top stuff. and not every film has to be box office topper to be a good film. many now classics flopped.

I have no doubt that it'll be good because I do like Alicia's work and Roar's 'The Wave' looks like it's going to be awesome. I just question whether it'll actually be successful. You may not like the other two Tomb Raider films, but they had big stars and big directors which lead to money coming in for (then distributor) Paramount. Unless they cast big names as the supporting characters, this'll have to look really impressive to draw in a big audience.

Don't forget, movies based on games are rarely successful, no matter how loved the franchises are.

Reactions: Drum18
‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot casts Walton Goggins as Villain opposite Alicia Vikander (EXCLUSIVE)
img-walton-goggins_100200977426.jpg

Source: Variety
Walton Goggins is in final negotiations to join Warner Bros, MGM and GK Films reboot of “Tomb Raider,” the latest adaptation of the popular video game starring Alicia Vikander as the iconic character Lara Croft.

WB recently announced the pic would be released on March 16, 2018 with Norwegian director Roar Uthaug helming.

Goggins would play the antagonist in the film.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles
YES! Goggins is awesome, as is Vikander... I'm loving the way this reboot is going already. :D

Me too

I think Vikander is the best choice for this and goggins is awesome

So happy he went the other way in H8

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Me too

I think Vikander is the best choice for this and goggins is awesome

So happy he went the other way in H8
I remember Daisy Ridley being rumoured for the role, which also would've been a good choice IMO. Glad Vikander nabbed it though... she's perfect! :D

Reactions: Flloydo
I remember Daisy Ridley being rumoured for the role, which also would've been a good choice IMO. Glad Vikander nabbed it though... she's perfect! :D

I don't think Ridley would of been right at all for croft.
Croft needs a certain look, a kinda posh early days milf rich lady look who's been living in a stately home and has a boob job

Daisy is too fragile looking

I don't think Ridley would of been right at all for croft.
Croft needs a certain look, a kinda posh early days milf rich lady look who's been living in a stately home and has a boob job

Daisy is too fragile looking
Um... ok? :rofl:

Forgot to mention that it's when it was rumoured that they were going for a really young Lara, in which case Ridley would've been more suitable IMO.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Um... ok? :rofl:

Forgot to mention that it's when it was rumoured that they were going for a really young Lara, in which case Ridley would've been more suitable IMO.

Hahaha I just re read what I put lol forgot I said that.
I know what I mean and to be honest Vikander does seem like the younger croft you mention (a But younger than my casting call description lol)
Jolie was a good croft, looks wise and her accent was decent but the films are crap (although I do like the first film and would happily own a steel - infact I fancy watching that again but I only had it on VHS lol)

• Thanks
Hahaha I just re read what I put lol forgot I said that.
I know what I mean and to be honest Vikander does seem like the younger croft you mention (a But younger than my casting call description lol)
Jolie was a good croft, looks wise and her accent was decent but the films are crap (although I do like the first film and would happily own a steel - infact I fancy watching that again but I only had it on VHS lol)
You made me dribble my brew when I read that bit in your previous post... it was so random/unexpected. :LOL:

Either way, I'm glad they went with Vikander in the end... she definitely looks more like the Lara we all know from the games. Can't wait to see her in action!

I never was a fan of Jolie as Lara... although it probably didn't help that the films were awful. I'd definitely be interested in checking them out again though, since it's been a while and I can't really remember much about them. Think I only ever saw them when they were eventually shown on TV. Wasn't Daniel Craig in one of them?

The 2 first Croft movies with Jolie were pure crap. But Jolie reflected the back then "Croft standard" with oversize.... you know...

Now with Vikander, we're going more with the current videogame adaptation, but I'm still curious to see how well she'll handle the character. Croft is a really popular character and not an easy task to take over...

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
You made me dribble my brew when I read that bit in your previous post... it was so random/unexpected. :LOL:

Either way, I'm glad they went with Vikander in the end... she definitely looks more like the Lara we all know from the games. Can't wait to see her in action!

I never was a fan of Jolie as Lara... although it probably didn't help that the films were awful. I'd definitely be interested in checking them out again though, since it's been a while and I can't really remember much about them. Think I only ever saw them when they were eventually shown on TV. Wasn't Daniel Craig in one of them?

Haha, I've had a few moments on here where that's happened plus I can't always say what I want to say incase it's deemed to inappropriate lol

I thought Jolie looked the part and those lips are perfect but even in those films they made her assets bigger. I remember the making at the end of the VHS

I was quite young when the first came out so I didn't mind it but the second is very bad

Yeah hes the ex love interest I think. Very early role

• Thanks