Multi Last game played/purchased

Furi - Free on PS Plus right now, an interesting mix of shmup and character action with a minimalist art style and superb synth soundtrack. Everything about the presentation is right up my alley and I love a challenge - but right now the shmup sections (typically final boss phases) are bewildering to me and the reset element of having to re-do entire phases (fail 3 times and you have to start over from phase one) makes the game incredibly tedious. Can't help but feel the game does a poor job of preparing you for the difficulty spike of those final boss forms. A pity that I feel like giving up on it because I really want to like it.

I finally purchased Uncharted 4 Special Edition, can't believe how long it took for such a Naughty Dog lover. At least now I have something to wait for when returning back to Finland haha.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
uq06a.jpg

Been playing the Nioh Beta. I put a lot of time into the Alpha demo, mostly because it was so difficult! Lots of great improvements in the Beta and I'm glad to see Team Ninja are really listening to feedback. Enemies have way too much health now though and it's quite sad you can't abuse the low stance ki dodging even if it was probably an overpowered mechanic. Any fans of Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden or the Souls' series should really check this out if you haven't already!

Started Bound last night. Absolutely gorgeous animation and presentation. Motivation and platforming seems a little up in the air so far... it feels as though the dancing is almost entirely in service to the feeling of player expression rather than a consistent focus on progression. At least this is how I've been playing it. I can imagine many players dumping on the simplicity and tagging it as a 'walking simulator'. I guess if you want a videogame there are plenty of alternatives out there; if you want an interactive art installation right inside your tv this might be for you.

--
Finished the game and despite the short length (about 3 hours while looking for some hidden paths) by the end I was still quite keen for it to be over. The narrative form simply doesn't work very well in service of the alternate (and slow!) modes of play. The connective tissue just doesn't seem to be there, it feels more along the lines of the world of the Dancer came first and they tried to shoehorn in some meaningful human experience afterwards.

Speaking of the Dancer, I really feel that at some point the game perhaps fucntioned along the lines of something like PN03; Dodging and dancing your way forward with an actual rythmic system in place. It seems like a missed opportunity that in the final game, one dance fits all is the approach and you can avoid any 'attack' simply by holding R2.

Once I'd experienced a couple of stages of the game it felt as though I'd seen it all. The only thing that kept me going was to see how they would remix the next part of the world with its colour and form. The game also has a really excellent photo mode that you could spend hours in, creating a rich tableau of your experience. Sadly though visuals aren't enough to make a great game and the whole thing is quite forgettable. Still I look forward to seeing what Plastic does next and at least it might have one of those soundtracks you can divorce from the game and enjoy on its own!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
Started Bound last night. Absolutely gorgeous animation and presentation. Motivation and platforming seems a little up in the air so far... it feels as though the dancing is almost entirely in service to the feeling of player expression rather than a consistent focus on progression. At least this is how I've been playing it. I can imagine many players dumping on the simplicity and tagging it as a 'walking simulator'. I guess if you want a videogame there are plenty of alternatives out there; if you want an interactive art installation right inside your tv this might be for you.

--
Finished the game and despite the short length (about 3 hours while looking for some hidden paths) by the end I was still quite keen for it to be over. The narrative form simply doesn't work very well in service of the alternate (and slow!) modes of play. The connective tissue just doesn't seem to be there, it feels more along the lines of the world of the Dancer came first and they tried to shoehorn in some meaningful human experience afterwards.

Speaking of the Dancer, I really feel that at some point the game perhaps fucntioned along the lines of something like PN03; Dodging and dancing your way forward with an actual rythmic system in place. It seems like a missed opportunity that in the final game, one dance fits all is the approach and you can avoid any 'attack' simply by holding R2.

Once I'd experienced a couple of stages of the game it felt as though I'd seen it all. The only thing that kept me going was to see how they would remix the next part of the world with its colour and form. The game also has a really excellent photo mode that you could spend hours in, creating a rich tableau of your experience. Sadly though visuals aren't enough to make a great game and the whole thing is quite forgettable. Still I look forward to seeing what Plastic does next and at least it might have one of those soundtracks you can divorce from the game and enjoy on its own!

I may grab this when it drops in price. $27 is a little too steep for it right now, but it definitely looks pretty.