The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 19th, 2015
Purchase link: Lawrence of Arabia
Price: £13.99

11173992-8934330577264202.jpg

MAY only have one disc but it is a 4K re-mastered disc that you will find inside.
SHOULD really have the second disc though !!!

Mine arrived safe and sound today.
Looks exactly like the mock-up except for the spine logos which are in reality placed higher and lower on the actual steel and there is a "Digital HD Ultraviolet" sticker on the front not present on the mock-up.
The discreet gloss finish and mellow sandy/brown/grey/blue colouring makes for a not unappealing steelbook though not anything to get excited about IMO.

RE: RESTORATION - As expected I notice "NEWLY RESTORED AND REMASTERED AT 4K RESOLUTION" on the data j-card sheet as well as "A HORIZON PICTURE. 2012 RESTORATION BY SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT & SONY COLORWORKS. 1988 RESTORATION PODUCED & RECONSTRUCTED BY ROBERT A. HARRIS AND JIM PAINTEN".

FEATURE FILM:-
VIDEO: 1080P HIGH DEF (2.20:1)
AUDIO: ENGLISH 5.1 DTS-HD MA, SPANISH 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL
SUBS: ENGLISH, ENGLISH (HOH), HINDI, SPANISH
APPROX. 227 MINS.

"BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE - SECRETS OF ARABIA: PICTURE-IN-GRAPHIC TRACK"

Haven't opened yet but as there is no mention of a second disc on the back I'd say this is a 1 disc affair . . . unfortunately.
6/10

• Helpful Post
Reactions: bigfub
So we can now 100% confirm that this is the best quality version of the film available but it does not have a 2nd disc with all the extras?

Therefore, should I buy this or a different UK version? I say UK as that is my personal preference!

Nicest looking release of this (only release of this with 2 BDs apart from the mega pricey "Limited Collector's Edition") is from the Numbered Spine Classics Collection in the glossy white & gold embossed slipcover - the 2012 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION -
Price of that edition - 4K restoration same as this one - is v. good ATM:-
GBP 6.30 Amazon
GBP 8.09 Base
From GBP 6.40 on the auction site

P.S. For collectors of Blu-rays in metal packaging the hard-to-find HMV Exclusive 8 MILE future pack/steelpak/metal pack (or whatever it's known as) is now available from Zavvi for GBP 12.34 - with ZVC 5% discount - though misleadingly listed as "8 MILE UNFORGETTABLE RANGE STEELBOOK".
Slight delay in posting this info as waited for my copy to arrive to be able to confirm that it's totally kosher and not some random import . . .:thumbs::happy:

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Pranko
so this 100% definitely only has one disc?
If so, I don't see how it can be a 4K restoration edition as it simply would not fit! (Both Japan discs combined, just the movie streams, are 67GB)

so this 100% definitely only has one disc?
If so, I don't see how it can be a 4K restoration edition as it simply would not fit! (Both Japan discs combined, just the movie streams, are 67GB)
It is the 50th anniversary 4K restoration Blu-ray
The missing second disc is just the bonus disc the extras

The film is on Disc 1 on all Blu-ray 50th anniversary releases is the Sony 4K restoration
Sourced from a brand-new 8K scan/4k intermediate,

Japan release Mastered in 4K Blu-ray edition release is an optimised for 4K TV's release and yes film split over 2 Discs with improved Audio but has no extras

Beside the Japan optimised for 4K TV's release
All the other 50th Anniversary Restoration Blu-ray releases the Film is on Disc 1
The picture quality on the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray is fantastic

Last edited:
It is the 50th anniversary 4K restoration Blu-ray
The missing second disc is just the bonus disc the extras

The film is on Disc 1 on all Blu-ray 50th anniversary releases is the Sony 4K restoration
Sourced from a brand-new 8K scan/4k intermediate,

Japan release Mastered in 4K Blu-ray edition release is optimised for 4K TV's and yes film split over 2 Discs with improved Audio has no extras
Seems pointless having it on one disc though. The video bitrate must be so low. I'll stick with my 2-disc JPN. Just a shame I can't house it in a steelbook

Seems pointless having it on one disc though. The video bitrate must be so low. I'll stick with my 2-disc JPN. Just a shame I can't house it in a steelbook
The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray is fine and has amazing video quality and you would see this if you had this release it's a 50GB Blu-ray Disc
The Japan optimised for 4K TV's release did not offer that much improvement and has no extras

The best release is the 50th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition 3 Blu-rays and CD soundtrack with an amazing coffee table book
Film on Disc 1 (Extras on Disc 2 and Disc 3)

If you want a very nice steelbook
The HDzeta release is a beautiful Steelbook
2 Discs
Film on Disc 1 and Extras on Disc 2

Last edited: