Price: €15.05
Purchase links:
Amazon.fr
fnac.com

Part of the Mad Max Trilogy:
Mad Max || Mad Max 2 || Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

91gYlZKnvsL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I have to admit it's a little disappointing. Doesn't "pop", looks more like a rush photoshop job that belongs more on a regular BD case. Oh, well - there's always Shout's regular version.

Warner's French Blu-ray release of "Mad Max" is identical to those released by Warner in the UK and Germany and, no doubt, other territories for which Warner hold the distribution rights.

Multiple language soundtrack and sub-title options, none of which are forced.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=17087
@augustus, what is the actual story with French forced subs? Is it a certain distributor, or studio?
Who is responsible? (I have french TAKEN with forced subs, and actually bought a Panasonic region free player specifically because I heard it can bypass the forced subs. I haven't checked yet- need to hook it up.)

@augustus, what is the actual story with French forced subs? Is it a certain distributor, or studio?
Who is responsible? (I have french TAKEN with forced subs, and actually bought a Panasonic region free player specifically because I heard it can bypass the forced subs. I haven't checked yet- need to hook it up.)
You can get rid of the forced French subs by going to the subtitles menu on your Panasonic player and change the position of the subtitles so that they ultimately fall off the bottom of your visible screen. So the subtitles are technically still On but you can't actually see them.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95

@C.C. 95

There's no easy answer to your question. I have been trying to make sense of the issue of forced sub-titles on French releases since the days of DVD. Fortunately, it is less common today than it used to be but it still occurs. There are no hard and fast rules due to the number of exceptions that apply. At best, the following should be thought of as a guide.

Releases from the big multinational studios, Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox, MGM, Disney and Warner tend to have optional rather than forced sub-titles. Where the disc has multiple sub-title options, it can be taken as given that none of them will be forced.

Although most releases from the multinationals will conform to the above, there are exceptions, principally with regard to releases designed specifically for the French market. Such examples include Warner's releases of "Dance of the Vampires" (aka "The Fearless Vampire Killers") and "The Artist" both of which have forced sub-titles.

Alone of the big multinational studios, Studio Canal releases tend to have forced rather than optional sub-titles. There are exceptions, however, including their releases of "Serpico" and "The Howling", both of which have optional rather than forced sub-titles.

The situation regarding releases from the specifically French companies is even less clear cut. Those from Pathe, M6, Metropolitan, Carlotta and Gaumont tend to have optional sub-titles, whereas those from Europa, Wild Side, TF1, Seven7, Filmedia, BAC and Sidonis tend to have forced sub-titles. Even here, there are exceptions. "Apocalypse Now" (Pathe) and "Immortals" (Metropolitan) have forced sub-titles, whereas "Johnny Mad Dog" (TF1) has optional sub-titles.

A 'French Forced Subtitles Master List' is available on the Blu-ray dot com Forum. Unfortunately, it is only infrequently updated these days.

Last edited:
@C.C. 95

There's no easy answer to your question. I have been trying to make sense of the issue of forced sub-titles on French releases since the days of DVD. Fortunately, it is less common today than it used to be but it still occurs. There are no hard and fast rules due to the number of exceptions that apply. At best, the following should be thought of as a guide.

Releases from the big multinational studios, Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox, MGM, Disney and Warner tend to have optional rather than forced sub-titles. Where the disc has multiple sub-title options, it can be taken as given that none of them will be forced.

Although most releases from the multinationals will conform to the above, there are exceptions, principally with regard to releases designed specifically for the French market. Such examples include Warner's releases of "Dance of the Vampires" (aka "The Fearless Vampire Killers") and "The Artist" both of which have forced sub-titles.

Alone of the big multinational studios, Studio Canal releases tend to have forced rather than optional sub-titles. There are exceptions, however, including their releases of "Serpico" and "The Howling", both of which have optional rather than forced sub-titles.

The situation regarding releases from the specifically French companies is even less clear cut. Those from Pathe, M6, Metropolitan, Carlotta and Gaumont tend to have optional sub-titles, whereas those from Europa, Wild Side, TF1, Seven7, Filmedia, BAC and Sidonis tend to have forced sub-titles. Even here, there are exceptions. "Apocalypse Now" (Pathe) and "Immortals" (Metropolitan) have forced sub-titles, whereas "Johnny Mad Dog" (TF1) has optional sub-titles.

A 'French Forced Subtitles Master List' is available on the BD site. Unfortunately, it is only infrequently updated these days.
@augustus
Thank you for the epic, detailed response. Your wealth of knowledge is impressive.
I knew I was asking the right fellow! I appreciate the detail. Too bad the answer couldn't have been:
"Oh, it's Johnny Subtitles at 200 Forced Sub Blvd.- write him an angry letter.";)!!!
This is what love about HDN. All of us being able share our particular corners of knowledge.:thumbs:
Thanks!
drop_knowledge_not_bombs_tshirt-p235190222684822162z7tqq_400.jpg
:D

You can get rid of the forced French subs by going to the subtitles menu on your Panasonic player and change the position of the subtitles so that they ultimately fall off the bottom of your visible screen. So the subtitles are technically still On but you can't actually see them.
My old Philips player does this, although I don't think I have any Blu-rays with forced subs.

Hello,
after reading in your forum during the past months I recently decided to join.

The linked steelbooks seem to be jumbos. Does anyone have further informations?

Hello,
after reading in your forum during the past months I recently decided to join.

The linked steelbooks seem to be jumbos. Does anyone have further informations?
Why do you think that they are jumbo. No evidence to suggest that at all.

Right. No evidence. That's why I wrote "seem". I just thought they might be, because the pictures at fnac and amazon look like jumbo steelbooks.
But maybe that will change. I didn't buy many steelbooks as preorder so far and thought I'll just ask.