Mallbrats (Mallrats 2) - In theaters TBD 2016

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
For those who thought that Kevin Smith would wrap up the View Askewverse once and for all with the upcoming Clerks III, you were wrong! Mallrats 2 is coming!!! :D

Mallrats.jpg

Courtesy IGN:
Kevin Smith has confirmed the long-awaited sequel to the 1995 cult classic Mallrats is happening, with filming due to commence in 2016.

Speaking on local Tuscon morning show Rock102 Mornings with Shmonty & Carolina (via THR) this past weekend, Smith confirmed the script is still being written, though there's no news as yet if the original cast of Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, Shannon Doherty and Stan Lee will be back.

"It's half a script right now, and we're pulling our loot together," he said. "We've got up until the beginning of 2016. By the time we get to May 2016, we're going to be shooting."

Smith seems to have a lot on his plate in the coming years, with Clerks III confirmed to start shooting in a couple of months, before this is followed by Hit Somebody and Moose Jaws.

Though Mallrats may seem an odd choice for a sequel, Smith explained at this stage in his career he's more interested in projects that are fun and he has good ideas for.

--------------------

Courtesy /Film & AV Club:
“I hate to disappoint people but, yes, I am doing a Mallrats sequel.” That was Kevin Smith speaking last Friday on his Hollywood Babble-On podcast. He made the statement after a tweet of his suggested he plans to do a follow-up to the 1995 cult comedy which bombed at the box office but became a fan favorite in the years since. Now we know he is making the film.

Smith also told his listeners the reason why he’d decided now, 20 years later, to do Mallrats 2. It’s simple: producer James Jacks. Jacks produced Mallrats and would always joke with Smith about making a sequel. He passed away last year and Smith decided that finally making the movie Jacks wanted to see would be a beautiful tribute to him.

Smith's full quote:

"Jim Jacks never ******* lost faith. Even when I would kick Mallrats and make fun of it, Jacks was always the guy going “No man. Know what would be funny and what’s gonna redeem us? Mallrats 2: Die Hard In A Mall.” So it was one of those things that was an ongoing theme in his life.

As I said, he passed away a year ago. I had lost touch with him for quite a few years before that and this was the biggest ******* fan of movies you’ve ever known in your life. And Clerks was the thing that kicked off my career but Mallrats brought me into a complete different world and that movie doesn’t get made without this dude at Universal going, “Let’s make it, let’s make it.” So I felt real ****** about missing the last years of his life and I met some people who were like, “We ate with Jim every ******* Thursday night and he still talked about you.” I hadn’t seen him in years and he was still talking about me and that movie. So a year ago I was sitting here talking about this **** and I was like “I wanna honor the man in some way” and this is how we’re gonna do it. We’re gonna finally make the movie I wish to Christ I made when he was living, man. So we’re finally going to make Mallrats 2."

Reactions: denizen and spass
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: tridon
Ethan Suplee has signed on! And Willam still hasn't seen the sailboat. :D
MR2.jpg

And the newest photo is a Mallrats 2/Clerks III collab! Trevor Fehrman is back as Elias in Clerks III while Renee Humphrey (man, I had a crush on her back in the day :drool:) returns as Trish the Dish in Mallrats 2!
MR2-C3.jpg

There's no way that all of them won't be back. I reckon the last update will be a pic Affleck in a batman mask :D