Man of Steel 3D - In theaters June 14, 2013

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Man of Steel (2013)

Tagline: You will believe that a man can fly.

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Zack Snyder[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Henry Cavill[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Amy Adams[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michael Shannon[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Diane Lane[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Russell Crowe[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Antje Traue[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kevin Costner[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Christopher Meloni[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Laurence Fishburne[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jadin Gould[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Tahmoh Penikett[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ayelet Zurer[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Richard Schiff[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dylan Sprayberry[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michael Kelly[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Carla Gugino[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Richard Cetrone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mackenzie Gray[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Julian Richings[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mary Black[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Samantha Jo[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Rebecca Buller[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Christina Wren[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Lewis[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Doug Abrahams[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Brad Kelly[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Alessandro Juliani[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jack Foley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Robert Gerdisch[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Harry Lennix[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jacqueline Scislowski[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sean Campbell[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Raj Lal[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2013-06-12[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]143[/RUNTIME]

Plot: A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
xWlaTLnD8NJMTT9PGOD9z5re1SL.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

From IMDB:
An alien infant is raised on Earth, and grows up with superhuman abilities. He sets out to use these abilities to guard his adopted world.
With: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and much more!!!

Trailers:

Old infos/trailers:

Poster:
399516_414200565292571_1731125494_n.jpg
man-of-steel-logo-2013.jpg

Old infos:
Per Coming soon:

Aronofsky in the Running to Direct Superman
Source: Heat Vision September 28, 2010

Black Swan helmer Darren Aronofsky has joined the list of potential directors for Warner Bros.' new Superman movie, reports Heat Vision.

The list includes Duncan Jones, Jonathan Liebesman, Matt Reeves, Tony Scott and Zack Snyder. The trade adds that Ben Affleck was also briefly in the running but he is reportedly no longer pursuing the job.

Aronofsky is said to be in active talks, though it's early.

Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas will executive produce the film, targeted for a 2012 release.

Read more: Aronofsky in the Running to Direct Superman - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70192#ixzz10qGP5CCK

Attachments

• man-of-steel-logo-2013.jpg
    man-of-steel-logo-2013.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw the film today for the first time. This is a 5 out of 5 star superhero movie. I can't even remember the last time I was so upset with most critics. Here are my thoughts:

If an art-house film from directors like Jean-Luc Goddard, David Lynch, or Wong Kar Wai gets ripped apart for a lack of story, nonexistant character development, poor dialogue, and unbalanced structure, the criticism is ignored and is probably even considered more respectfully pretentious because no one else "gets" these films and its exclusive connection to these types of films are regarded in top 100 film lists and are continuously praised by critics. For some reason, it's "not accepable" to reavulate films over a period of time (it's critic-review peer pressure more or less). Pretentious films seem to be immune from being dated or re-graded. If you don't "get the film," it's because you can't understand the film and its supposed multiple meanings or symbolisms, and anyway you just don't get that the movie is overall an "experience of cinema." So once again, if an art-house film has lacking basics (story, acting, cast chemistry, structure, etc.), the criticism of these basic elements can be ignored, no matter how much one can nitpick it apart....but for some strange reason, a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster film doesn't get that free pass. Sure it's impressive to make an impressive movie with a low budget, but an extremely expensive big-budget blockbuster film has every right to be graded on experience too. Just because more money was spent (or wasted, however you want to look at it), it doesn't mean that the mainstream film should have more pressure than a low-budget cheap film. There are awesome low-budget movies and expensive big-budget films that can give an experience.

I understand that not everyone can like a film, but Man of Steel is a motion picture experience. Not only mainstream movies are manufactured nowadays, but also art-house films (To the Wonder, recently). Most movies released every weekend are pretty entertaining but are still nonetheless "meh movies" (Iron Man 3). With technology making things "easier" (more digital and less on film, more CGI and less old school special effects), movies do seem more manufactured now. So there are very few films nowadays that feel like a good old-fashioned motion picture (think Spielberg of the 1980s and early 90s). Because movies are so manufactured nowadays (generic photoshopped posters don't help as well), so many B-movies from the 1980s are now considered "classics" because it was the decade before the late 1990s that started making manufactured films. Motion picture basically equals "magical movie experience." We all know that Superman the Movie, Star Wars, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. were considered motion picture experiences. What were the recent motion picture experiences? The Matrix was a motion picture. Avatar was a motion picture. The Artist was a motion picture. The two new Star Trek films were motion pictures. The Nolan Batmans were motion pictures...and now Man of Steel (along with Star Trek Into Darkness). A movie like Silver Linings Playbook is a good movie with a great story and plenty of character development, but it's no memorable motion picture. It's just going to be another "Terms of Endearment"-type film - popular during its time but pretty much forgettable over time.

So, yes Man of Steel can be nitpicked for its supposed lack of story, too much action, and not being a clone of slapstick Donner Superman, and sure, there are people that don't like the film, but Man of Steel is still a superhero masterpiece motion picture. Man of Steel ties with the Nolan Batmans as being the best superhero movies ever made. I have enjoyed all the Superman flicks over the years (I hated Superman Returns and Superman 4 when I saw them in the theaters, but I can now appreciate both of them. I used to think Superman 3 was good but now it's pretty awful besides having some of the best scenes (drunk Supes versus Clark Kent). I was never a fan of Superman in the comic books or the cartoon (he's only bad-ass in final episode of Justice League Unlimited). For anyone who's seen how Superman has evolved the past 50 years, there is old school klutzy Clark Kent "golly gee, let me save your cat" Superman (as perfectly adapted by Richard Donner) and there's also serious Clark Kent Superman (as perfectly adapted by Zach Snyder). How can people ignore these two types of Supermen, I just don't get when the two totally different Batmans exist and are accepted as the two different types - early "Gee wiz, Robin" Batman (in the early comics, in the show, and in first movie), and then Batman got all dark in the 1970s.

Superhero movies just keep on getting better and better (1st starting with Blade, 2nd with X-men, 3rd X-men 2, 4th Spiderman, 5th Hellboy, 6th Spider-Man 2, 7th Batman Begins, 8th Iron Man, 9th The Dark Knight, 10th The Avengers, and now 11th Man of Steel.

After watching Man of Steel today and tearing up throughout the whole film (as I do when I see a non-generic, any-genre film that reminds me of motion pictures of the past), I also teared up a bit at the end of the movie because of the criticism it got by critics and user reviews. It has every right to be ripped apart, but I personally thought it was a perfect superhero film and a perfect adaptation of Superman. All the negative stuff that I read (lack of soul, no humor, shaky cam, too much action,
running into tornado, neck snap
) not only didn't bug me as I expected it to bug me, but all these aspects were just fine. I hate shaky cam, absolutely hate it, but the direction was a work of art - no headaches at all (as I did with the Bourne films). Every element in the film touched me - from the acting, to the action, to the awesome flow of the film (shortest 2+ hour movie I've seen all year). There was more humor in this film than the Batman flicks, tons of people chuckling. The lack of humor criticism is the most outlandish criticism I've heard about Man of Steel. I think it may have to do with the combination of these two strange expectations:
1. Richard Donner's Superman: Superman is old school Superman in the 1970s version. And one of the key points that no one has really made is that if this movie was re-evaluated by critics all over again (meaning, forget that this movie "was an experience in the 1970s), this film could be nitpicked to death just like Man of Steel. Man of Steel is an adaption of more recent Superman comics (post-1970s) - simple as that!
2. Iron Man: Iron Man was the movie to kickstart the Avengers. Iron Man is funny with tons of one-liners. Superman is not Iron Man. People are expecting Man of Steel to kick-start the Justice League movie in the same way that Iron Man did with The Avengers. Man of Steel is a perfect kick-start. Superman is not Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man.

Another weird aspect is complaining about the massive destruction? Has anyone seen a movie since Will Smith's Independence Day? These types of films are all the same - there is collateral damage all the time. It's a movie, not real life. Superman can't save everyone. He couldn't even save Lois Lane from an earthquake in the first film without doing the time reversal trick? And if Superman the Movie was re-evaluated today in which the critic had to ignore its "1970s charm or what an experience it was," do you really think the "time reversal" trick ending would be acceptable in a screenplay? Hell no. So once again, this is a comic book superhero movie - yes, it's going to have massive destruction and buildings falling down. It's visually awesome and not disturbing (and I lived in NYC during 9/11).

I could go on and on praising everything about this movie but it doesn't really matter. The main point is that Man of Steel was a movie that reminded me of films from the past - a real motion picture. If I were in charge of DC's next movies, I would just let Snyder direct them all since he's an expert on putting comic books - 300, Watchmen and now Superman - perfectly on screen.

For a comic book movie, this movie scores a 5 out of 5, especially impressive that Snyder has made the first down-to-earth, interesting, likable Superman out of all the mediums (comic books, cartoons, old movies).

Last edited:
Nice post Toddly and thanks for taking the time to post it (the passion for these movies shows which is great). I couldn't agree with you more on everything except that 300 & Watchmen stuff at the end. And I do have one criticism of the movie itself too. I was in the camp that believed in this movie because Nolan was involved as producer more-so then the fact that Snyder was directing. I have always liked Snyder and 100% believed in his artistic ability (just look at this story-boarding skills, there off the charts) but I felt he was missing something to "complete" the movies he made in the past. Even till this day I cant quite pin-point what that missing variable was/is. But I felt he accomplished that missing element in this movie finally with the exception of some short sighted character development (my only criticism of the film). But it really wasn't that big of a deal considering what they were trying to accomplish in less than 2.5 hours. They were trying to tell such a grand story in such a short time period of time. Maybe if they made the movie a full 3 hours or close to it like TDKR they could have developed the character relations a bit more.

Like I said earlier though I 100% agree with you... most if not all critics reviews of this film and negative things said about it by some select people is completely unfounded in my opinion. The movie was friggen' fantastic.
The scene where Clark's dad tells him to not help him from dying pretty much was so emotional and so well done it was unbelievable. How can anyone say the movie didnt have a soul!

Everyone that keeps comparing it to the original Superman films and thinks this Superman needed to be just like them really needs to move on and get over it. Its seriously just annoying now to hear the constant comparisons which have no basis for them to be even doing it :rolleyes:

Personally I still place the TDK Trilogy at #1 standalone though and MoS would fit in behind it along with The Avengers at #2. But thats just me.

I havent re-watched a movie in theatre in probably 5 years I think... but I will be re-watching this one in theatre again. The movie experience as you said was just amazing for this film.

On a side note it was fun recognizing half the locations they filmed at in the movie. They must have ran around Vancouver and the surrounding area's for more then half the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hussun and ash333
Great write-up Jay. Though it looks like it will not be the mega hit expected based on current numbers, it is on a similar track as BB did when it first came onscreen which is fine by me. Now they should just bring in Jonathan Nolan to work with Goyer on the screenplay for MoS 2 :)

Here is another fun article on MoS - link.

Reactions: Jason Bourne
Great write-up Jay. Though it looks like it will not be the mega hit expected based on current numbers, it is on a similar track as BB did when it first came onscreen which is fine by me. Now they should just bring in Jonathan Nolan to work with Goyer on the screenplay for MoS 2 :)

Here is another fun article on MoS - link.

Agreed on Jonathan Nolan to work with Goyer. I noticed the numbers in decline on box office mojo just yesterday. Its just too bad. But nevertheless #2 is green lit and this movie will still be considered a success. Lets hope they can achieve the same with movie #2 for MoS as TDK did for Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Cool article.. thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Reactions: ash333
This is now one of my favourite movie scenes of all time. How can anyone not like this scene, it's perfect imo with the cinematography and Zimmer's score, just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhU0StyiCg

Bravo - finally someone else picked up on this scene. In my first viewing, I was an emotional wreck as Superman (and Batman) is one of two of my ONLY superheroes that helped me deal with life's harsh realities. Besides the other father and son scene, this scene with Jor-El voice-over while Kal discovers his powers for the first time brought together two momentous life points for me - the death of my grandfather who was more than a father to me than my real dad and the birth of my first child. Reading those scenes on paper was nothing compared to watching them on the big screen. Yes Hans' score played a big part in the emotional experience but Snyder's direction definitely brought more color and "truth" to describing those moments. The words in my signature by Jonathan Kent were very similar to what my grandfather said to me when I was a kid and when I left home. And those emotions and expressions when Kal found his powers mirrored my same feelings the moment I saw my first child being born. Uncertainty, fear followed by joy, laughter and then affirmation of my new status of provider and protector of that little baby like Kal expressed in that last take of that scene. Brilliant, brilliant movie - seen it 5 times already and still choked up every single time.

Reactions: jimmyv and Hussun
really enjoyed this ! only complain like Db stated was the fights were too drawn out. They were epic but a little much. when and if shorten it would've achieved the same goal but also added more depth and conciseness imo... hope for the second one they tone it down just a tad and focus more on the characters like nolan's batman. The complexity and potential of a lex and superman driven story line will blow the first film out of the water.

anywho, Cant wait for this on blu :scat:

Reactions: Hussun
My 'Final Thoughts' article for Man of Steel is now up on the HDN main page. You can check it out here. If you read it, I hope you reply with your own opinion on the film! :thumbs: