Manta Lab - Retailer Thread (now sales website operated by Collectong)

New sales website: Collectors from Kwun Tong. HK SAR

best-retailer-png.411629

ME#1 - Man of Steel
ME#2 - The Revenant
ME#3 - Constantine
ME#4 - Kingsman
ME#5 - Walter Mitty
ME#6 - Fight Club
ME#7 - La La Land
ME#8 - Logan
ME#9 - Fantasic Beasts
ME#10 - Alien Covenant
ME#11 - Wonder Woman
ME#12 - Ex Machina
ME#13 - Planet of the Apes
ME#14 - Se7en
ME#15 - Justice League
ME#16 - ?
ME#17 - Ready Player One
ME#18 - Shape of Water
ME#19 - Greatest Showman
ME#20 - Deadpool 2
ME#21 - First Man
ME#22 - ?
ME#23 - Inglorious Basterds
ME#24 - Aquaman
ME#25 - A Star is Born
ME#26 -
ME#27 -

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be more complicated if the sender had sent the goods as a general gift and you are unable to provide an invoice simply because you did not pay for them. This will apply when we do a trade. There will be no invoice, it is a direct trade. So if we cannot provide an invoice to link to that tracking number I assume customs can make an assessment what the value is and bill you from there?

Well if that is the case it's a good thing custom officials don't know much about steelbooks :rofl:. I had 9 steelbooks sent to me recently just under 2kg weight. The parcel was opened and resealed. Value approximately $15. It was sent as a priority shipping. I can imagine the officials opening the parcel and seeing a load of steelbooks, thinking not interested lol. Nothing of value there!
Customs cant bill you on a assessment they can only bill you on the actual cost of the goods with details proving the cost
Marked value is not proof of cost of goods that has to be shown on a invoice and payment record as in purchase invoice or PayPal invoice

You get a letter first asking you to provide the details if they request this
When the real value is on the CN 22 label as in over the threshold they will then open to see if the invoice is inside if it's not they will then bill you on the real value by requesting you provide the details first before they bill you

It's when they suspect the value is not marked correct you will risk them questioning it
Customs know which retailers provide correct details it's the ones that are not reliable that you get questioned on
I used to vat billed on Amazon USA imports on rare occasions but that's changed now as you automatically pay import fess deposit when paying for goods

Customs pay less attention to goods between private individuals to each other except they do scan the parcel for security reasons as in contents inside but if you did not fill in a cn 22 lable on parcel it would risk been seized or questioned
Goods purchased from a retailer is lot different compared sent from private individuals

Customs cant bill you on a assessment they can only bill you on the actual cost of the goods with details proving the cost
Marked value is not proof of cost of goods that has to be shown on a invoice and payment record as in purchase invoice or PayPal invoice

You get a letter first asking you to provide the details if they request this
When the real value is on the CN 22 label as in over the threshold they will then open to see if the invoice is inside if it's not they will then bill you on the real value by requesting you provide the details first before they bill you

It's when they suspect the value is not marked correct you will risk them questioning it
Customs know which retailers provide correct details it's the ones that are not reliable that you get questioned on
I used to vat billed on Amazon USA imports on rare occasions but that's changed now as you automatically pay import fess deposit when paying for goods

Customs pay less attention to goods between private individuals to each other except they do scan the parcel for security reasons as in contents inside but if you did not fill in a cn 22 lable on parcel it would risk been seized or questioned
Goods purchased from a retailer is lot different compared sent from private individuals

The 9 steels I had sent to me were from a private individual. It was opened by Royal Mail custom officials and then resealed with a note attached from outside. I guess I got lucky on that occasion.

Reactions: paulboland
Well mine arrived custom free. It was declared for $20 but as a gift which they shouldnt had done lol. It went okay for me but I've Germany can suck for customs?

So far, I haven't been hit by customs at all even though I have a substantial number of orders from around the world on my record. Even with the full value on the customs slip (way above the threshold) packages went through without any questions asked. There was only one occasion when I had to show an invoice at the local customs office, though. It was a Zavvi order, but only around 15€. The customs declaration print was a bit unclear (as if the printer ink slurred). So if you ask me, I can't really say anything bad about our customs. They seem to be very understanding, fine guys ;)
Seriously though: I guess it's just luck. I have several friends in different parts of Germany who get hit with customs on a regular basis. It's not clear to me why it happens to them more often.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
So far, I haven't been hit by customs at all even though I have a substantial number of orders from around the world on my record. Even with the full value on the customs slip (way above the threshold) packages went through without any questions asked. There was only one occasion when I had to show an invoice at the local customs office, though. It was a Zavvi order, but only around 15€. The customs declaration print was a bit unclear (as if the printer ink slurred). So if you ask me, I can't really say anything bad about our customs. They seem to be very understanding, fine guys ;)
Seriously though: I guess it's just luck. I have several friends in different parts of Germany who get hit with customs on a regular basis. It's not clear to me why it happens to them more often.

You are just a very very lucky collector. Just had to pay 20 Euro on top of the Deadpool 1Click and another custom letter just arrived today...

So do you guys from Germany get hit with customs even though it is UNDER the threshold?

Sometimes yes, even if it is under the threshold. But I also had some over the threshold coming through without any problems. So you never can tell with German customs.

Well i know im stirring the pot right now by saying this , but what the heck !
Tell me your information and i will ensure the proper Authorities will get it so you can be treated as equal ;)

I have alot of friends around the world who collect and from what they tell me Germany can and is the worse place to be ... they are hungery for that import tax .

They have told me even sometimes with the amount down under the threshold they were knocked up for money.

I dont think the "bad guys" are dumb anymore and just believe you when you say its only a movie with no value at all , so let me go through :):)

Why has this turned into a thread about customs? The fact of the matter is that EU collectors should really be paying VAT on every release, it is lucky that a lot of the premium retailers take the risk of marking down the value to avoid fees. It should be seen as a bonus when packages sneak through unnoticed. If a package gets caught, it's just tough luck.

It's just that German customs sometimes don't trust the declared value. You need to show them what you paid for it and when it's really below the allowed value you can pass.

Last edited:
It's just that German customs sometimes don't trust the declared value. You need to show them what you paid for it and when it's really below the allowed value you can pass.
Sometimes it's recommended to split the payment so you can show a transfer with low value
ehh just a note...maybe you edit your comment ...

i had about 30 orders in the last 12 month from foreign countries and never had trouble with customs (no EU of course)

Why has this turned into a thread about customs? The fact of the matter is that EU collectors should really be paying VAT on every release, it is lucky that a lot of the premium retailers take the risk of marking down the value to avoid fees. It should be seen as a bonus when packages sneak through unnoticed. If a package gets caught, it's just tough luck.

Because members that are considering importing a steel such as the Revenant where members have been hit with customs will have the heads up that the price may not be exactly $60 shipped, but possibly another custom bill on top and that makes a considerable difference in ordering.

Yes you are correct, we 'should' be paying the custom, and the retailers 'take the risk'. But the moment the full package is declared I can guarantee a majority of their business will decline overseas and they see a slump in sales. That would mean stock will not get sold out so easily, they will be stuck in their warehouse, costing the retailers time and money. And when that happens it's bad news for them, and bad news for their distributors who want to know why they cannot shift their stock and possibly affect them from getting another license if their previous sales were so poor. It affects everything and evveryone.

So if they declare the full value, that's fine I will respect that, I will decline to spend at least £40-£45 per single steel + another £20 custom bill on top. I'm sure many others will not purchase as well.

Personally I think you all need to stop posting about customs and take it to PM. I respect that it's a given to talk about it as it is a genuine concern and applicable topic in regards to these premium steels. BUT, for the love of God, don't keep posting about it here as you never know who's watching!!! I know it's a long shot, but you really REALLY never know!! :LOL::ohno:
image.jpeg

Personally I think you all need to stop posting about customs and take it to PM. I respect that it's a given to talk about it as it is a genuine concern and applicable topic in regards to these premium steels. BUT, for the love of God, don't keep posting about it here as you never know who's watching!!! I know it's a long shot, but you really REALLY never know!! :LOL::ohno:
View attachment 266898

And if they are watching what are they going to do? :rofl::rofl: Start PMing us? Like to see that happening :LOL: I am sure they have better things to do and investigate multi million pound tax fraud than reading HDN lol.

Last edited:
And if they are watching what are they going to do? :rofl::rofl: Start PMing us? Like to see that happening :LOL:
I was being slightly tongue in cheek mate:cigar: jeez....
But, as I said, you NEVER really know. Of course they aren't going to do anything once it's through for gods sake, but they could "ear mark" Manta Lab products and notice that they are more than the customs value and keep an eye out in customs. Do you not think they have companies on some sort of list that are actively doing this type of thing? It's what they are employed to do, to be in the know and all that. Of course it's a long shot, but so is winning the lottery, but it happens!

I was being slightly tongue in cheek mate:cigar: jeez....
But, as I said, you NEVER really know. Of course they aren't going to do anything once it's through for gods sake, but they could "ear mark" Manta Lab products and notice that they are more than the customs value and keep an eye out in customs. Do you not think they have companies on some sort of list that are actively doing this type of thing? It's what they are employed to do, to be in the know and all that. Of course it's a long shot, but so is winning the lottery, but it happens!

You never know but HIGHLY unlikely, even they are reading HIGHLY unlikely anything is going to happen. So I decided rather than take messages to PM and talk with one person, much more benefit to disclose on the thread to discuss custom related issues. It appears more recently more and more members are being stung with customs and it is important to make members aware. Now everyone can read our discussions and decide if they want to take the risk and import from abroad. Recently stung for a custom bill of $20 but not for the other. Also had a package opened inspected for the first time. So if these issues increase further the only way to notify members is discuss this in the thread. If you disagree report these posts and the MODS can decide if they are relevant or delete them. The issue we have is more and more collectors are getting stung. It makes this hobby less affordable to import steels over.

Reactions: Granada
You never know but HIGHLY unlikely, even they are reading HIGHLY unlikely anything is going to happen. So I decided rather than take messages to PM and talk with one person, much more benefit to disclose on the thread to discuss custom related issues. It appears more recently more and more members are being stung with customs and it is important to make members aware. Now everyone can read our discussions and decide if they want to take the risk and import from abroad. Recently stung for a custom bill of $20 but not for the other. Also had a package opened inspected for the first time. So if these issues increase further the only way to notify members is discuss this in the thread. If you disagree report these posts and the MODS can decide if they are relevant or delete them. The issue we have is more and more collectors are getting stung. It makes this hobby less affordable to import steels over.

The fact is, these companies shouldn't really be marking down the prices so these packages are more 'customs friendly', Its something we take for granted that benefits us but ultimately its breaking the law. Ideally none of us wants to pay the customs charges and for the most part most of us have got away with it for the longest time but you can't get all up in arms when you finally do get stung. If you cost up what we've saved until now versus the odd charge here and there we've had to pay then we're the ones who are winning.

You said you got stung for one custom bill of $20 and not the other, well you saved money on one package didnt you, you can't have it win win all the time.

We either keep going the way we are and potentially pay a fee here and there, go legit and pay the fee everytime or miss out on direct sales and go to a UK seller on ebay and pay a hefty amount and then you know what you're gonna pay bottom line with no added import fees.

I dont think this would affect these Asian companies anyway, there are thousands of collectors of steelbooks from all over the world. Most obviously have more disposable incomes than others (we do spend hundreds to thousands on fancy packaged movies every year after all) and these are the people who will order and pay the fees regardless. If anything, this would put off scalpers and increase chances for people getting more limited releases because not everyone will want to pay the customs and import fees.

• Thanks
Reactions: CleverLoginName
The fact is, these companies shouldn't really be marking down the prices so these packages are more 'customs friendly', Its something we take for granted that benefits us but ultimately its breaking the law. Ideally none of us wants to pay the customs charges and for the most part most of us have got away with it for the longest time but you can't get all up in arms when you finally do get stung. If you cost up what we've saved until now versus the odd charge here and there we've had to pay then we're the ones who are winning.

You said you got stung for one custom bill of $20 and not the other, well you saved money on one package didnt you, you can't have it win win all the time.

We either keep going the way we are and potentially pay a fee here and there, go legit and pay the fee everytime or miss out on direct sales and go to a UK seller on ebay and pay a hefty amount and then you know what you're gonna pay bottom line with no added import fees.

I dont think this would affect these Asian companies anyway, there are thousands of collectors of steelbooks from all over the world. Most obviously have more disposable incomes than others (we do spend hundreds to thousands on fancy packaged movies every year after all) and these are the people who will order and pay the fees regardless. If anything, this would put off scalpers and increase chances for people getting more limited releases because not everyone will want to pay the customs and import fees.

I think the point you are missing is this is becoming more of an increasing issue, rather than just 'luck'. If this is a regular occurrence and customs are tightening up on the borders and import charges and what packages are declared, no problem at all. I won't bother importing and they don't get my business. So I wouldn't want to rely on 'luck' more on balance of probabilities, especially on EMS packages that attract customs, of what our final bill would be. I would accept that importing a premium steel is out of my budget and will have to stick with the local UK releases. Unfortunately not many of us can facilitate a custom bill attached on all imported orders.