Marvel - Villains : How would you have improved them?

jeremycanrana

Premium Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
France
I've been reading comments on a comic book website and people were discussing how they would have improved Marvel villains without changing the core of the movie.

I thought it could be an interesting topic to discuss on here

I started thinking about two villains in particular, Ronan in Guardians of the Galaxy and Malekith in Thor The Dark World.

Ronan
The good :

I really felt like his introduction was absolutely amazing. The way they built his arrival was majestic and mysterious.

tumblr_ni0q11nN5T1tnv6ito2_250.gif

The first use of the hammer was great as well :
wLM0ZS9.jpg

The bad :
Maybe his introduction was too mysterious. I believe we could have had Thanos' assistant The Other (Wesley Wyndam-Price <3) mock Ronan telling him that Thanos would never need some sort of a coccoon to rest. (I'm not familiar enough with the character to understand the process).
Just an idea in my head, I'm pretty sure you all could have better explanations.

I think that all the other times in the film, his hammer was no more a weapon but a scepter. With the infinity stone linked to it I wish we had seen him use it wiping some buildings or groups of people (you know, Batman vs Superman style ...Yeah bring on the fire!) but sadly he spent all this time in his (freaking gorgeous) ship.

Malekith
The good :

I've always been a huge fan of that character and the first thing that I thought after watching the movie was that he looked amazing ...

tumblr_n0fp7fvOfC1r5ynioo1_250.gif

but (The bad) at times it felt as if he were just standing there. Being powerful but not doing much with it.
ttdw-malekith-002.gif
Also they really should have spent less time on Darcy and co.
I LOVED her in the first movie, I have to admit that but they went too far in the second movie.

I'm sure you all have ideas on how characters should have been handled differently to really make the most of them.

I also wanted to write about Red Skull but I still hope he is somewhere in this universe :
PWt0ptH2exvxqiutN4QUVHIKJ6JGj9O7WDVYxH86RnZeK3vVdfIOhnsE3qShv5mTLgmeIRS9=w423-h180-p-no

The issue that therein lies with the Marvel Villains is that each one of them is so generic that they are easily replaceable throughout the course of each film.
With the stakes that are constantly of world-ending proportions, it's hard to really entice different incentive out of any of the villains- making them all fall in to the generic "Let's Destroy awl of the things" means and ends- being that the differences int he villain- be it cinematic or character- all come off as very superficial because in the end, it doesn't really matter.

One of the more interesting villains is arguable Baron Zemo in the context of Captain America: Civil War, as his character is motivated not by the destruction of the things- but rather- is driven from an emotional standpoint. This however, also falls flat, because Zemo's character is entirely irrelevant to the film itself, and does nothing to progress any of these characters to the point of where his plot truly seems necessary. In addition, the emotional motivator for an antagonist is an extremely shallow one- the human condition allows for us to empathize with most characters on an emotional level anyways- so trying to draw an emotional connection to something such as loss for a motivator is an extremely easy thing to do and doesn't make the character any better as a villain. The most interesting villains are normally motivated by psychological means- and therefore have a purpose of which has a deeper context and meaning than that of exacting revenge or executing their master scheme... and- to my knowledge, Marvel has only done this once with a villain, and that is with Killgrave in Jessica Jones.

All the Marvel movies, and by extension- all of the Marvel Villains really just blend together in to one incoherent mess of blue lights for me. None of them alter the dynamic of what these films are- and none of them present anything new to the standard "rinse-and-repeat" formula that Marvel has capitalized on.

In short- I think all of Marvel's villains are terrible. Which is a shame, because they usually cast such fantastic actors in the villainous roles.
While Killgrave is the most dynamic and engaging villain in all of Marvel's extended properties- nothing out of Marvel Proper has really been good- Loki merely holds the mantle of "best villain" by sheer nature of being the least awful villain that marvel has put on screen.