Mondo Marvel's Luke Cage - OST by Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad (colored vinyl)

martinouchou

Premium Supporter
Sep 20, 2015
France
Release: October 7, 2016 at 12PM CST
Purchase: Mondo (yellow variant) / Zavvi (regular black)
Price: 35 USD / 29,99 GBP

Note:
2LP, Pressed on 180 Gram "Power Man Yellow" Colored Vinyl, Artwork by Matthew Woodson

Luke_Cage_Discs_1024x1024.jpg

Luke_Cage_FC_1024x1024.jpg

CuLqk8WUkAAkYe.jpeg

LC_GATE.jpg

We're excited to unveil the soundtrack for Marvel’s Luke Cage with collectible artwork of the bulletproof hero by Matthew Woodson. Composers Adrian Younge (Something About April) and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (A Tribe Called Quest) have combined forces to produce one of the best scores of 2016 featuring an inspired, genre-bending blend of orchestral score and 90s hip-hop beats, filtered through the sonic lens of the works of Ennio Morricone.

It's no surprise that the score hovers in the same terrain of the Spaghetti Western soundtracks of Morricone - the narrative of Luke Cage plays out like a modern Western, only set in Harlem. Younge and Muhammad have meticulously crafted one of the most unique sonic landscapes in the history of television.

"We sought to create a score that reflects the world of Luke Cage. We see this world as a place where classic cinema meets classic Hip Hop," said composers Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad.

Marvel’s Luke Cage tells the story of Luke Cage (Mike Colter), a hoodie-wearing, unbreakable ex-con who fights to clear his name and save his neighborhood. After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage becomes a fugitive trying to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But he is soon pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city – forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury. Marvel’s Luke Cage is rated TV-MA and is streaming now only on Netflix.

The soundtrack will be available on vinyl (via Mondo), digital retailers, and streaming services on October 7th. For more information, stay tuned to Marvel.com, @MarvelMusicInc on Twitter, and the official site for Marvel’s Luke Cage for all the updates.

Also, Los Angles folks: a live 40-piece orchestra will perform music from the Netflix original series at the theater tonight (10/6) at the Ace Hotel, curated by Younge and Muhammad. Tickets for Marvel’s Luke Cage: The Live Score can be found at axs.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH EEK! I'm super excited for this!

Adrian Younge is one of my favorite producers ever. For listeners of Rap/Black Music you may know him from his killer collaboration albums with Ghostface Killah (Twelve Reasons to Die I & II) and Royce da 5'9 (PRhyme).
He also did the beautiful scores for "Something About April" with the Band Venice Dawn and for the blaxploitation movie "Black Dynamite". Both highly recommended soul records!
He's a very very favorite of mine.

And Ali Shaheed Muhammed is one of three members of a band named A Tribe Called Quest :p

I'm beyond excited even when I didn't watched the show till now :woot::woot::woot:

Adrian Younge is one of my favorite producers ever. For listeners of Rap/Black Music you may know him from his killer collaboration albums with Ghostface Killah (Twelve Reasons to Die I & II) and Royce da 5'9 (PRhyme).
He also did the beautiful scores for "Something About April" with the Band Venice Dawn and for the blaxploitation movie "Black Dynamite". Both highly recommended soul records!

And Ali Shaheed Muhammed is one of three members of a band named A Tribe Called Quest :p

I'm beyond excited even when I didn't watched the show till now :woot::woot::woot:
OMG, after reading that now I am excited because you're excited! Good luck everyone! I've only had the chance to watch 2 eps, but I def liked the vibe. And I love the yellow!

Reactions: dan8885
OMG, after reading that now I am excited because you're excited! Good luck everyone! I've only had the chance to watch 2 eps, but I def liked the vibe. And I love the yellow!

I'm so excited that I'll start watching the show later this evening :woot:
Adrian Younge is a genius. The reincarnation of Curtis Mayfield. His music sounds like a Tarantino movie but all actors are from the Wu-Tang Clan :p

Reactions: digitalbabe
Marvel will be dropping the digital soundtrack for Netflix’s Luke Cage before the end of this week.

The album will feature an original score made by the show’s main composers, Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge, that’s influenced by artists such as David Axelrod, Ennio Morricone, A Tribe Called Quest and the Wu-Tang Clan. Listeners will also be able to hear that incredible 30 piece orchestra the two composers used for the series in all of their glory, with the ensemble led by Miguel Atwood-Ferguson.

Alongside the score will also be licensed tracks, as well as the “Bulletproof Love” track created by Method Man for the show.

“Adrian and I, we wanted to really make the music stand out to wholly support the dynamic aspect of Luke Cage and everybody else,” Muhammad explained to Okayplayer. “We wanted to make a huge statement with the music and the score, and really wanted it to stand out as something that no one has ever heard for television.”

“What we thought to do with the music was to capture the vibe and feeling [showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker] wanted Luke Cage to feel like to the audience,” Younge added. “Cheo would also give us references like ‘Yo, we want this to be like Marvin Gaye’s ‘Trouble Man’ or Wu-Tang Clan’s ‘The 4th Chamber.’ And we’d say ‘Ok, let’s go.’ It’s one of the best experiences I’ve ever had composing.”

And as for the now infamous Luke Cage theme song?

“Everything that we did we wanted to make a statement, so we looked to our heroes: Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Marvin Gaye and Ennio Morricone,” Muhammad said. “Just really make something that spoke to the character and the movement of the artwork. Luke Cage being a product of the blaxploitation period, there’s certain elements in blaxploitation music that you want to make sure are there. So we kind of dipped into that paint a little bit.”

The digital soundtrack drops on October 7, 2016.

NO WAY! REALLY? lol :LOL:

Well since it sounds like you're also fan of hip hop. Take a look at Luke Cage's episode titles from Season 1 and tell me if you notice anything...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3322314/episodes?ref_=tt_ov_epl

I'm not a fan. It's everything to me for about 21 years now :thumbs:

LOL Gangstarr :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I just watched the first episode on Netflix. It's ******* awesome!
Raphael Saadiq at the club was amazing :drool: and Coleman Hawkins on when Misty left Luke for work :drool:
That famous Biggie picture at Stokes office :oohyeah:

Aw man that soundtrack :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
I'm not a fan. It's everything to me for about 21 years now :thumbs:

LOL Gangstarr :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I just watched the first episode on Netflix. It's ******* awesome!
Raphael Saadiq at the club was amazing :drool: and Coleman Hawkins on when Misty left Luke for work :drool:
That famous Biggie picture at Stokes office :oohyeah:

Aw man that soundtrack :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Haha nice :thumbs:

I couldnt believe they were able to pull off the title list like that. Very creative.
I havent watched the show yet though. But i definitely will :D

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885

Wow, did not realise those two guys were involved with this!

Going to have to give this a listen now (and watch the show of course)

NO WAY! REALLY? lol :LOL:

Well since it sounds like you're also fan of hip hop. Take a look at Luke Cage's episode titles from Season 1 and tell me if you notice anything...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3322314/episodes?ref_=tt_ov_epl

Very cool

Not listened to moment of truth in a while. Or any gang starr for a while.

Last thing I listened to was a guru solo album (possibly mix tape)

Reactions: AlienKing