Upcoming Marvel's The Defenders (Limited Series) [Disney+]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Netflix gets their own Avengers!!! :drool:

The Walt Disney Co. and Netflix Inc. today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel's most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel's movies, such as 'Iron Man' and Marvel's 'The Avengers', are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With 'House of Cards' and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."

This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
Courtesy ComingSoon.net

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-07-21 22.08.05.png
    Screenshot 2016-07-21 22.08.05.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the entire series on Friday night... nearly 8 hours straight of watching these Netflix heroes team up. I thought it was truly great. There was a few disappointments, but overall, it was absolute enjoyment. All of the characters are so different and it was fun watching them clash and eventually come together. I loved the use of colour in the show (red for Daredevil, purpley blue for Jessica, yellow for Luke, green for Iron Fist, and white for Alexandra) and the way it also clashed when the characters meet. I was also SO happy that this was only 8 episodes. All of Marvel's Netflix shows don't need 13 episodes and it hurts some of them in the end. Everything else, I'm gonna write at the bottom in a spoiler. Don't read unless you've seen the full season.

First, though, here's my stance on the solo series (so you know how I feel before going into this team-up)...

Daredevil (both seasons) is above the other three by a mile. It has the best characters, best actors, best stories, best fight scenes, and wisely uses its 13-episodes-per-season perfectly. I was very happy to see that the choreography and cinematography from that show carried over to The Defenders.

Jessica Jones was a great show thanks mostly to David Tennant's performance as Kilgrave. I do like Krysten Ritter as Jessica (actually, as someone who's read JJ comics since Alias #1 hit the stands, Ritter is the perfect Jessica), but it was Kilgrave that made that show as great as it was (I'm somewhat disappointed that Tennant is returning for JJ Season 2 because I wanted to see if she could carry a season on her own).

Luke Cage, to me, was hard to get through. I felt like it was 4 to 5 episodes too long. Like Jessica, Luke's fight scenes aren't that exciting because the two of them are brutes without any really skill. Diamondback was an awful villain (I really wish that Cottonmouth would've stayed the villain for the whole show). There's parts of the show where there's musical performances lasting for nearly 5 minutes, bringing the story to a halt in order to showcase Harlem's culture itself (I'm okay with that, but it happened too often). I love Mike Colter as Luke and a lot of the side characters were interesting (I loved Pops and Shades and Misty Knight was fantastic), but if the show was trimmed down and edited better, it would've been more enjoyable. The "there has to be 13 episodes per season" quo hurt Luke Cage in the end (again, that's my opinion only).

Lastly, Iron Fist -- the show that everyone loves to hate for some reason. I thought that show had a rough start, but I ended up enjoying the hell out of it in the end. Again, it should've been trimmed down -- it didn't need 13 episodes -- but the mythology behind it was great. Finn Jones (whether you think it out not) played an excellent Danny Rand. How do I know? I've read Iron Fist for most of my life. A whiny little rich boy is exactly what Danny started as. The fight choreography wasn't too great, fight scenes only really saved when actual martial artists are on-screen (like Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing, my favourite character on the whole show). I feel like it's just "in" to hate the show. It had rough reviews because critics based their reviews off of the first 6 episodes (which are nowhere near as good as the final 7 episodes). This gave the show a bad rep before regular viewers even saw it. It was destined to be hated from the start and that's just silly. The whole white-washing controversy is ludicrous. The producers stayed faithful to the actual comic books... nothing was "white-washed". Iron Fist was fun and doesn't deserve the hate.

Now that those rants are out of the way, here's what I thought about The Defenders...

All 8 episodes were very, very strong. My small handful of complaints do not hold the show down whatsoever. It feels very Avengers-esque, but just on a smaller scale. The chemistry between Matt & Jessica and then Luke & Danny was wonderful. I loved seeing these characters together. My only true disappointments were:

A) Still not seeing Iron Fist in costume by the end of the season (I really thought Matt was going to send Danny to his tailor).

B) Sigourney Weaver was great, but her character had a truly pathetic death. Yes, it showed the strength of Elektra, but after the earthquake at the beginning of the season, I was really waiting to see Alexandra cut loose.

C) Halfway through the final battle down at the bottom of the hole, hip hop music kicks in and it was soooo out of place. Not only that, but it really took me out of what was happening. There was an epic score playing, then it just shot over to hip hop only to return to a traditional score.

D) Why was The Hand in street clothes the entire season? When Daredevil fought them during his second season, they were ninjas. Here they were just thugs who knew Kung Fu.

E) I wanted Claire to die. Sorry, but she served her purpose and her relationship with Luke -- like Hulk/Black Widow -- felt forced. She brought the group together (kinda)... her time was over. She was great during Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but her inclusion into Luke Cage and Iron Fist always felt off to me.

Things that I loved...

A) Matt Murdock's court case and the speech he gives to the young handicapped boy. I absolutely loved that scene!

B) Matt going down as a true hero while being with his true love during her lowest moment. It was poetic, beautiful, and heartbreaking. Foggy and Karen's reaction really made me tear up.

C) Iron Fist sitting atop a roof waiting to fight crime in honor of Matt's wishes.

D) Misty Knight's bionic arm is coming! Not only that, but she met Colleen. Daughters of the Dragon!!

E) Jessica Jones' supporting cast of Malcolm and Trish weren't as annoying as they were during her solo season.

F) Seeing Carrie-Anne Moss again!

G) Luke and Danny together! So excited by that -- especially when Luke's blocking bullets from hitting Danny and when the gunfire stops, Danny flies out from behind Luke. SO good! Bring on the Heroes For Hire!

H) Elektra was awesome! I hope she returns in Daredevil: Season 3 and I hope we finally see Bullseye.

I) Madame Gao lives!!!

There's a lot more, but those are coming to mind first. It really was a great season and I'm so happy it moved quickly due to its 8 episodes. So, after The Defenders, here's what I'm hoping to see during "Phase 2" of the Marvel/Netflix relationship (hopefully that sticks around with Disney pulling out):

- The Punisher
- Jessica Jones: Season 2
- Daredevil: Season 3
- Daughters of the Dragon
- Luke Cage / Iron Fist (Heroes For Hire)
- The Defenders 2

Kinda hoping they can squeeze Moon Knight in there, too! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Finally finished this tonight.

I enjoyed it... but i was somewhat disappointed.
It took too long to get going. Episode 3/4 is when things finally come together but thats halfway through the season. After that things pick up but it just felt like they wasted so much time.
Also another problem I had was Sigourney Weaver. Love her as an actress but she didn't work for me in this role. Wish they would have cast someone else who was more threatening.
That character doesn't even come close to big bads like Fisk or Killgrave.

@tridon I completely agree with you for all your points on this show (except for maybe "E")

I did like how they called Dany out on the stupid sh*t he does. I REALLY hope they can adjust his character after this. (and give him his suit).

here's what I'm hoping to see during "Phase 2" of the Marvel/Netflix relationship (hopefully that sticks around with Disney pulling out):

- The Punisher
- Jessica Jones: Season 2
- Daredevil: Season 3
- Daughters of the Dragon
- Luke Cage / Iron Fist (Heroes For Hire)
- The Defenders 2

Kinda hoping they can squeeze Moon Knight in there, too! ;)

I'd be ok with combining Daughters of the Dragon and Heroes for Hire into one show.
Moon Knight would be awesome.
Also I am hoping for a Ghost Rider show (He was so great on AoS and deserves his own thing).

My Marvel Netflix show rankings:
  1. Daredevil S1
  2. Daredevil S2
  3. Jessica Jones
  4. Defenders
  5. Luke Cage
  6. Iron Fist

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Finally finished this tonight.

I enjoyed it... but i was somewhat disappointed.
It took too long to get going. Episode 3/4 is when things finally come together but thats halfway through the season. After that things pick up but it just felt like they wasted so much time.
Also another problem I had was Sigourney Weaver. Love her as an actress but she didn't work for me in this role. Wish they would have cast someone else who was more threatening.
That character doesn't even come close to big bads like Fisk or Killgrave.

@tridon I completely agree with you for all your points on this show (except for maybe "E")

I did like how they called Dany out on the stupid sh*t he does. I REALLY hope they can adjust his character after this. (and give him his suit).

I'd be ok with combining Daughters of the Dragon and Heroes for Hire into one show.
Moon Knight would be awesome.
Also I am hoping for a Ghost Rider show (He was so great on AoS and deserves his own thing).

My Marvel Netflix show rankings:
  1. Daredevil S1
  2. Daredevil S2
  3. Jessica Jones
  4. Defenders
  5. Luke Cage
  6. Iron Fist

I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me regarding E.
That's why I wish Claire and Luke didn't hook up. Then she could've came and went as needed. Plus I'd like to see Luke and Jessica back together since they're married with a child in the comics. I was happy with Claire being the Night Nurse -- ecstatic, actually -- but I'm not digging her forced relationship with Luke.

I liked Sigourney, but I know where you're coming from.
That's why I thought she was going to have some insane power at the end of the series. Instead, nothing. She's stuck like a pig and pushed aside. I expected more from the leader of The Hand.

A Ghost Rider show would be amazing, but the budget for it would being way above any of the other Netflix shows. From what I read, it was crazy-expensive using the Rider in AoS. I feel that if a Ghost Rider show happened, it'd be mostly about Johnny Blaze and/or Danny Ketch and less about the Spirit of Vengeance himself.

I'd kinda like to see a New Warriors show, too. I feel like that would fit in well with the gritty New York setting of the The Defenders. They'd probably only use the ground-level characters like Night Thrasher, Rage, and Speedball, though. It'd be too hard to have Nova in there without big cosmic storylines.

tumblr_inline_oac9jbX18O1r9ov24_540.jpg

My Netflix ranking would be the same as yours, too -- just reverse Luke Cage and Iron Fist. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Was tempted by this but have only so far watched all of DD. Sooo many superhero programs to get through and not enough time to do it.

13 episode seasons aren't too bad though.