Midsomer Murders on DVD

Lollard2002

Premium Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
Belfast
As a big fan of this British Murder mystery series I have been purchasing the USA blu-rays of it but would love to get the early material. Sadly it's only available on DVD. Simple question. Does anyone on this forum know if the French DVD box sets are English Friendly. I know they have both French and English language tracks but are the French subtitles removable?. I'm asking because despite extensive research I have been unable to find that answer in any reviews of the DVD set even on the likes of amazon. The show in called Inspector Barnaby in France and the rest of Europe.......... being France and being infamous for forced subtitles on DVD and bu-ray material, I have to ask.......

You can get the sets in Europe especially in France and Germany as complete box sets either the John Nettles or Neil Duggan sets but I need to know if the subtitles when playing the English tracks are removable. It would work out way cheaper than trying to buy the UK sets.

The bottom line is I don't see the early stuff coming out on blu-ray even though it was all shot on film so the DVD sets are my best option.

For the type of show it really doesn't need bluray. Being such a long running show getting 19 series on DVD is pretty hefty price. Have you tried eBay? Or Cex? The early stuff is the best John Nettles was the best.

You're missing the point. In Europe you can get the early John Nettle seasons as a box set which would work out cheaper than trying to buy the UK only season box sets. What I want to know is the subtitles on the European ones removable on the English Language tracks?

As a big fan of this British Murder mystery series I have been purchasing the USA blu-rays of it but would love to get the early material. Sadly it's only available on DVD. Simple question. Does anyone on this forum know if the French DVD box sets are English Friendly. I know they have both French and English language tracks but are the French subtitles removable?. I'm asking because despite extensive research I have been unable to find that answer in any reviews of the DVD set even on the likes of amazon. The show in called Inspector Barnaby in France and the rest of Europe.......... being France and being infamous for forced subtitles on DVD and bu-ray material, I have to ask.......
Probably your best bet is this: Find out what company is releasing the Inspector Barnaby DVDs in France/Germany etc. Then see what else they have released (hopefully some feature films) and see if those titles have any forced subtitles. If not, the company probably has no history of doing forced subs. If memory serves (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) the one company from France who was the main offender of forced subs (and maybe the ONLY one) was TF1.

You're missing the point. In Europe you can get the early John Nettle seasons as a box set which would work out cheaper than trying to buy the UK only season box sets. What I want to know is the subtitles on the European ones removable on the English Language tracks?

Is this the set??

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVD-Midsomer-Murders-Complete-Seasons-1-18-59-DVD-Box-Set-NEW-/172432651360

The person selling this in their description has written

"...Midsomer Murders - Complete Season 1 to 18 (59 DVDs) Edition: EU Import. Please note that, since this is an import release from continental Europe, the DVD boxset has non-English text on the boxset covers. All episodes can be played in English with the original voices of the cast, without any imposed subtitles, as you would watch the series on UK television.Spoken language: English..."

Maybe email them and ask?

Probably your best bet is this: Find out what company is releasing the Inspector Barnaby DVDs in France/Germany etc. Then see what else they have released (hopefully some feature films) and see if those titles have any forced subtitles. If not, the company probably has no history of doing forced subs. If memory serves (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) the one company from France who was the main offender of forced subs (and maybe the ONLY one) was TF1.

They still are and the irony being even the French fans don't want forced subtitles!

Reactions: Flash
Someone brought to my attention that the show has been released in Oz as a box set. The bonus being this will be PAL B which is superior to PAL A so later in the year I will get a set. Just a mater of finding a store that sells overseas.