Mommy (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Plain Archive Exclusive No. 24) [Korea]

Oct 21, 2013
Nanjing, China
Release date: December 7, 2017
Purchase links: Full Slip A - Full Slip B - 1/4 Slip - Premium Box - (Pre-order on November 2 at 4 PM Korea time)
Price: $37.29 (Full Slip A or B) - $35.89 (1/4 Slip) - $61.89 (Premium Box)
Notes: Full slip A (1000 copies), Full slip B (1000 copies), 1/4 Slip (250 copies), Premium box (850 Copies)

20686684_1721131931523748_7880916876765691904_n.jpg

from Plain's fb:
We’ll be releasing Xavier Dolan’s Mommy in 2015. More details coming later this year.

Mommy won the Jury Prize at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy of slip B arrived yesterday. I love the concept for the steelbook (fitting the 1:1 aspect ratio of the film), and glossy, truly white steelbooks always look sharp in hand. The debossing could be better aligned, and I've got a tiny chip in the white paint on the back, but nothing worth the trouble of replacing:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg
The slip is fine, but fairly underwhelming. It uses a nice heavy stock with some tiny gold flecks that shine through under certain lighting, but there is zero treatment to the slip otherwise. No 'bossing of the title(s), no foil lettering--just flat and glossy:
7.jpg 8.JPG 9.jpg 10.jpg
Seems a bit lazy on PA's part, but I never would've imagined this film getting a steelbook/premium release in the first place, so I'm still happy to have snagged a copy. Curious what the finish is like on slip A. :coffee:

My copy of slip B arrived yesterday. I love the concept for the steelbook (fitting the 1:1 aspect ratio of the film), and glossy, truly white steelbooks always look sharp in hand. The debossing could be better aligned, and I've got a tiny chip in the white paint on the back, but nothing worth the trouble of replacing:
View attachment 348830 View attachment 348831 View attachment 348832 View attachment 348834 View attachment 348835 View attachment 348836
The slip is fine, but fairly underwhelming. It uses a nice heavy stock with some tiny gold flecks that shine through under certain lighting, but there is zero treatment to the slip otherwise. No 'bossing of the title(s), no foil lettering--just flat and glossy:
View attachment 348839 View attachment 348840 View attachment 348841 View attachment 348842
Seems a bit lazy on PA's part, but I never would've imagined this film getting a steelbook/premium release in the first place, so I'm still happy to have snagged a copy. Curious what the finish is like on slip A. :coffee:

Thanks for the pics. Gonna pick 1/4 slip later on bay, it is one of the best movies I have seen this year and steelbook is nice, although the "Mommy" title could have been embossed or debossed as well with that chain, that would be perfect.

View attachment 348830 View attachment 348831 View attachment 348832 View attachment 348834 View attachment 348835 View attachment 348836
View attachment 348839 View attachment 348840 View attachment 348841 View attachment 348842
The Steelbook looks nice but the alignment of the embossing isn’t the best. The slips could have done with some kind of embossing or special finish aswell.

Got my copies yesterday:

01.jpg

The steelbook in the 1/4 slip has some alignment issues as well. To some degree I understand it's difficult to align fine embossing with equally fine print, but precisely printing into a square shouldn't be that hard. But I won't complain, it's just how it is.

02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg
05.jpg 06.jpg

And a nice surprise:

07.jpg

Definitely the lowest numbers I've ever gotten. Seems like my order was just a bit quicker than @tristar6's.

I finally opened my copy of Full Slip A yesterday and watched the film (again). I discovered an irritating mistake in the English subtitles:

mommy.jpg

The letters are cut off at the bottom. No biggie, because it's still easy to read, but it's still a bit annoying Plain Archive didn't notice that mistake during the mastering of the subtitles/disc. The Korean subtitles are fine, by the way.

Apart from that, this release is one lovely package:

16.jpg

04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg
08.jpg 10.jpg
11.jpg 12.jpg 14.jpg

I finally opened my copy of Full Slip A yesterday and watched the film (again). I discovered an irritating mistake in the English subtitles:

View attachment 385909

The letters are cut off at the bottom. No biggie, because it's still easy to read, but it's still a bit annoying Plain Archive didn't notice that mistake during the mastering of the subtitles/disc. The Korean subtitles are fine, by the way.

View attachment 385922

Great shots dude and another awesome package from the great PA!!

Reactions: CleverLoginName

View attachment 385909

View attachment 385922

Is that throughout the whole film? That is pretty annoying, when you are constantly looking down and the bottom of the letters are chopped off. It’s a shame as this is a really nice release otherwise but that error should have been fixed.

Reactions: CleverLoginName
Is that throughout the whole film?

Yes, it is. But even for me as a non-native English speaker it was not a problem to follow the subtitles. It just didn't look nice. I guess peope who are not familiar with the film will try to adjust the aspect ratio, because they might think something is off with their TV settings ;) (1:1 ratio + cut-off subtitles).

By the way, could you fix the thread title, please? It's Plain Archive Exclusive No. 24. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigill
Yes, it is. But even for me as a non-native English speaker it was not a problem to follow the subtitles. It just didn't look nice. I guess peope who are not familiar with the film will try to adjust the aspect ratio, because they might think something is off with their TV settings ;) (1:1 ratio + cut-off subtitles).

By the way, could you fix the thread title, please? It's Plain Archive Exclusive No. 24. Thanks in advance!
Yeah it does look readable, it’s just a bit annoying! Thread title updated!:)

That is a real shame this error wasnt fixed. I might not even open my editions so I guess its fine.

On another note this is such a great film, havent heard of it until PA announced it. Found so many good films already, only thanks to Plain Archive.

Reactions: Sigill