Movie(s) You Recommend

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
HDNRecommended.jpg

Any obscure, weird, underground, low budget, independent, mainstream movies that you would like to recommend? Post em here.

Last edited:
@PunkNinja
Yup! That last bit there was PREDESTINATION! (Based on Heinlein's ALL YOU ZOMBIES).
Yeah, I love the time travel stuff too. Definitely give NAVIGATOR (which I highlighted above) a look.

The Navigator is a fantastic movie! Just imagine if hey had actually done Vincent Wards Alien 3 the way he wanted it!!!! I love everything about The Navigator, the cinematography, the symbolism and especially the music. The Soundtrack was actually the first CD I ever bought back in 1987....ahh, the memories....

Predestination is a weird movie. It seems they were trying to sell it as an action film and the first couple of minutes are quite weird, but as soon as the scene in the bar starts it becomes something different. I don't really think it's all that confusing though - just think why they never show the "face of the baby's father" when he first bumps into "the mother"... it's also not very smart in my opinion to explicitly mention the hen/egg analogy, but maybe they put that in afterwards not to confuse even more people :whistle:

The Navigator is a fantastic movie! Just imagine if hey had actually done Vincent Wards Alien 3 the way he wanted it!!!! I love everything about The Navigator, the cinematography, the symbolism and especially the music. The Soundtrack was actually the first CD I ever bought back in 1987....ahh, the memories....

Predestination is a weird movie. It seems they were trying to sell it as an action film and the first couple of minutes are quite weird, but as soon as the scene in the bar starts it becomes something different. I don't really think it's all that confusing though - just think why they never show the "face of the baby's father" when he first bumps into "the mother"... it's also not very smart in my opinion to explicitly mention the hen/egg analogy, but maybe they put that in afterwards not to confuse even more people :whistle:
@Lutzo ,
Yep, it is weird! I've said that I quite don't know whether to call 'Bullshit' or 'Brilliant'! There is that one scene, that the first time I though was just a 'nothing' connecting scene, but turned out to have valuable dialog. The one where Hawke meets Noah Taylor in the hospital where the baby is. Taylor says how Hawke is ideal for his work because there are no loose ends, and there is no one like him. Hawke asks (paraphrasing) "what happens when I start forgetting my future? Am I a snake eating his own tail for eternity?"
I think the biggest flaw of the film is the first 30 minutes is bogged down in the bar. By the time it really starts getting interesting (in REAL actions, and not just the characters telling stories) the film has lost a lot of momentum and good will. I love the Spierigs and their voice in film, but I file this under interesting misfire. Great ideas don't always translate to great movies.
I am glad to find another passionate lover of The Navigator. A real great piece of filmmaking. And, sadly, not so easy to find (I see a few on Amazon here though). I read Ward's Alien3 story and it was really great. Of all the script passes on Alien3, A LOT of Ward's flavor survived (monks became chaste prisoners, not a wooden planet but certainly a monastic one, and the religious overtone).
Here's the ALIEN3 Script by John Fasano from the story by Vincent Ward & John Fasano:
http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/alien3/fasano.txt
Enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: PunkNinja and Lutzo
and this 'forgotten classic' :

images

View attachment 150009
@nefilim
I went out of my way and spent lotsa $$ to get the Import Blu of STATE OF GRACE!
OLDMAN, PENN & HARRIS crush it!! Epic! Gary Oldman IS our greatest living actor!

Hear hear guys! I've been "crying" about this one to get a proper release across the forums for some time now.
Come vote in my old thread;) https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/state-of-grace-1990.44645/

@C.C. 95 I guesss it's the Australian release you have? What do you think of that release? I don't own it myself.

And, I just found out that this is gonna be released by Twilight Time (3000ex)in the US june 8th and in the UK by Second Sight june 1st!!! Hell yeah! :D

@spass
I didn't hear about the TWILIGHT TIME release! Fantastic! Yes, I have the Australian version from Shock. It has the correct aspect ratio (which the DVD did NOT). The image is much better than the DVD, but obviously not a remaster. Sound is stereo not surround.
And yet, I have been very happy to own this for the last year!!:p
It's like, 'what if the world didn't know Martin Scorsese did GOODFELLAS, and it was just an underground thing only some people knew about'?
That's how I feel about STATE OF GRACE. Not one. Not two. But, THREE POWERHOUSE performances that are electric. Shot by the great Jordan Cronenweth (Bladerunner)
and scored by the one and only Ennio Morricone?!!
How is this NOT on EVERYONE's hit list??!!!:OMG::OMG:
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tanks for the info/pics. :thumbs:

It's like, 'what if the world didn't know Martin Scorsese did GOODFELLAS, and it was just an underground thing only some people knew about'?
That's how I feel about STATE OF GRACE. Not one. Not two. But, THREE POWERHOUSE performances that are electric. Shot by the great Jordan Cronenweth (Bladerunner)
and scored by the one and only Ennio Morricone?!!
How is this NOT on EVERYONE's hit list??!!!:OMG::OMG:

Well said! That's exactly how I feel. Love this movie!

Reactions: C.C. 95
Apparently SECOND SIGHT is also releasing a blu ray of STATE OF GRACE in the UK on June 1
(According to Blu-ray dot com)

Yep! :D

Wonder if there's gonna be any diffferences between the two? I'm not familiar with Twilight releases. Do they have exclusive content?

Yep! :D

Wonder if there's gonna be any diffferences between the two? I'm not familiar with Twilight releases. Do they have exclusive content?
TWILIGHT TIME's thing is having isolated score track. They usually only have that and a trailer.
Once in a while maybe something else... But usually just the isolated score.
Oh- and they always have nice booklets inside, like Criterion.
Here's an example from one I just got today!!:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

• Helpful Post
Reactions: spass and PunkNinja
TWILIGHT TIME's thing is having isolated score track. They usually only have that and a trailer.
Twilight Time is getting better on extras though.

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)
Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Randall William Cook Introduces the “Men in the Moon" / Audio Commentary with Ray Harryhausen and FX Artist Randall William Cook / Tomorrow the Moon / Original Theatrical Trailer

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959)
Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Actress Diane Baker, and Film Historians Steven C. Smith & Nick Redman / Original Theatrical Trailer

Fright Night (30th Anniversary)
Special Features:
* Isolated Score Track
* Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
* Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, and Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
* First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel - Fear Fest 2 (2008) with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Stephen Geoffreys, Amanda Bearse, Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Rob Galluzzo
* Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
* Vintage EPK with Behind The Scenes Raw Footage
* Stills and Memorabilia Gallery from the Tom Holland Archives
* Original Theatrical Trailer

Twilight Time is getting better on extras though.

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)
Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Randall William Cook Introduces the “Men in the Moon" / Audio Commentary with Ray Harryhausen and FX Artist Randall William Cook / Tomorrow the Moon / Original Theatrical Trailer

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959)
Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Actress Diane Baker, and Film Historians Steven C. Smith & Nick Redman / Original Theatrical Trailer

Fright Night (30th Anniversary)
Special Features:
* Isolated Score Track
* Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
* Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, and Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
* First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel - Fear Fest 2 (2008) with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Stephen Geoffreys, Amanda Bearse, Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Rob Galluzzo
* Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
* Vintage EPK with Behind The Scenes Raw Footage
* Stills and Memorabilia Gallery from the Tom Holland Archives
* Original Theatrical Trailer
That's true of the newest of new ones! I'm not sure why they all of a sudden are having more features- but that is always welcome!
And that FRIGHT NIGHT 30th Anniversary Disc was really an unprecedented Cadillac release from them!
They never did that before! But, they are definitely adjusting to customer's wants and needs.
(Like doing 5000 print runs instead of the usual 3000 for very in demand titles).
@PunkNinja, I have JOURNEY...! I just haven't even had a chance to look at it yet!!
It's a terrible first world problem to have titles in stacks I haven't gotten to yet!:LOL::D;)

Reactions: PunkNinja
I have JOURNEY...! I just haven't even had a chance to look at it yet!!
It's a terrible first world problem to have titles in stacks I haven't gotten to yet!:LOL::D;)
That's great! Just recieved my package too from screenarchive. I didn't have time to open it yet. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

i have that shock relase of state of grace also.

and sadly missed fright night ... damn !
Oh man. You should have called me! I had extras of the first and second release!
Oh well. I bet you went and got the German one like a lot of people did. Man- that German one came out like a month or so after the Twilight Time...I felt SO BAD for the people who ended up paying $100 or more on eBay for the TT version right before the German one came out. That HAD to sting.