Movies You Haven't Seen That Make Others Say WHAT!?!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
So what are some movies that you haven't seen yet for any old particular reasons that just astonishes others that you havent seen them yet?

I think we ALL have some movies that are known as popular or cult etc that people just can't believe we haven't seen them yet.

So what are yours? And why?

I still haven't seen

A Clockwork Orange (own it)
Rocky Horror Picture Show (own it)
The Abyss (have almost bought a dvd a couple times just to watch it.) Is it on any streaming service?
They Live (own it)

Remembered some more classics earlier that I'm still yet to see...
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Birds
  • The Graduate
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Eraserhead
Oh, and being as though The Godfather was mentioned earlier in the thread... I've only seen the first one, which was more than enough for me. :yawn:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
lalalala.gif
:hilarious:

Remembered some more classics earlier that I'm still yet to see...
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Birds
  • The Graduate
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Eraserhead
Oh, and being as though The Godfather was mentioned earlier in the thread... I've only seen the first one, which was more than enough for me. :yawn:
I think we all have to keep in mind that sometimes you see a film in the wrong mood, the wrong time, the wrong age, etc.
I mean, 8 year old me would hate 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I would not be thrilled watching The Conversation after a buddy says "You like Apocalypse Now and Coppola? See The Conversation".
Time, place, mood, age, etc. has a lot to do with your reaction to a film.
I saw UNFORGIVEN opening morning at Mann Chinese Theater in Hollywood after a wicked bender.
I fell asleep. I should give it another chance maybe? I should. But my memory is of a really boring western that made me fall asleep. (And I love westerns, and Clint).
Just saying. All movies deserve at least another view.
P.s. - not a huge Godfather fan either.;)

View attachment 298409

and I've only seen 4 of them :hilarious:
Woo Hoo! I've seen 5 from that list. Beat you by ONE sucka! :p

Star Trek is science future based in science. And Star Wars just has talking fish heads, Teddy Bears, and silliness.:p
Hahaha You're lucky this is not a SW forum. You may have just started a war :LOL:

That is the ultimate truth. Unfortunately though, we dont have all that time. (n)

I think we all have to keep in mind that sometimes you see a film in the wrong mood, the wrong time, the wrong age, etc.
I mean, 8 year old me would hate 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I would not be thrilled watching The Conversation after a buddy says "You like Apocalypse Now and Coppola? See The Conversation".
Time, place, mood, age, etc. has a lot to do with your reaction to a film.
I saw UNFORGIVEN opening morning at Mann Chinese Theater in Hollywood after a wicked bender.
I fell asleep. I should give it another chance maybe? I should. But my memory is of a really boring western that made me fall asleep. (And I love westerns, and Clint).
P.s. - not a huge Godfather fan either.;)
I agree completely and that's actually happened to me on more than a few occasions because of my age and/or mood at the time... I even made a list of films I originally hated but eventually grew to love on Letterboxd.

But as for Godfather... I've watched it at least three times now, each time being a few years apart, and yet it still bores me just as much as the first time I saw it. No doubt I'll watch it again at some point though, because I'm genuinely disappointed in myself for not liking a film that's considered one of the greatest of all time!

I hated A Space Odyssey the first time I saw it by the way... so glad I gave it another chance though, as it's now one of my favourites. Oh, and I've always liked Unforgiven, but then I was in my twenties when I first saw that one. A few years ago, I wouldn't even have considered watching most of the classics I watch and love now... getting older does have it's perks sometimes. :D

Reactions: C.C. 95
I agree completely and that's actually happened to me on more than a few occasions because of my age and/or mood at the time... I even made a list of films I originally hated but eventually grew to love on Letterboxd.

But as for Godfather... I've watched it at least three times now, each time being a few years apart, and yet it still bores me just as much as the first time I saw it. No doubt I'll watch it again at some point though, because I'm genuinely disappointed in myself for not liking a film that's considered one of the greatest of all time!

I hated A Space Odyssey the first time I saw it by the way... so glad I gave it another chance though, as it's now one of my favourites. Oh, and I've always liked Unforgiven, but then I was in my twenties when I first saw that one. A few years ago, I wouldn't even have considered watching most of the classics I watch and love now... getting older does have it's perks sometimes. :D
My best friend of 25 years (and a film director) is an unabashed Star Wars fan since he was a kid. In his honor, I watch the Star Wars Trilogy to attempt to see why people get so much out of it. I still think they are mostly terrible B-grade fantasy drivel with terrible acting and warmed over plots from a million other movies.
I will concede that EMPIRE is the best of the three, but still....
At least, I try every few years - but...I fail to see what other people see in them. They are O.K. - but so is Krull. (Not very dissimilar). Not a popular opinion, but an honest one. There ARE people who don't "get" the whole mania for Star Wars.
I grew up in that era too...But my "Star Wars" was Close Encounters. IMG_0504.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
My best friend of 25 years (and a film director) is an unabashed Star Wars fan since he was a kid. In his honor, I watch the Star Wars Trilogy to attempt to see why people get so much out of it. I still think they are mostly terrible B-grade fantasy drivel with terrible acting and warmed over plots from a million other movies.
I will concede that EMPIRE is the best of the three, but still....
At least, I try every few years - but...I fail to see what other people see in them. They are O.K. - but so is Krull. (Not very dissimilar). Not a popular opinion, but an honest one. There ARE people who don't "get" the whole mania for Star Wars.
I grew up in that era too...But my "Star Wars" was Close Encounters. View attachment 298617
Putting my fanboyism aside, I can honestly understand why Star Wars isn't for everyone. I mean, lets face it... you have a point to be fair, because the acting certainly isn't the best, but then I can name a dozen other well liked films from around that era that suffer from the same "issues". In a weird way though, I think that's part of why I love them so much... it's like those cheesy 80s movies that are so bad they're good. :D

I grew up with Star Wars anyway and have very fond memories of watching them with friends and family as a kid, and not forgetting playing with all my Star Wars toys! I think we tend to ignore or just simply not notice if a film is bad when we're young... not that I'm admitting the original trilogy is bad though lol. I guess the same applies to kids who grew up with the prequel trilogy... all they see are fun characters and cool action, whereas us older fans see nothing but dog ****. :p

Reactions: C.C. 95
Putting my fanboyism aside, I can honestly understand why Star Wars isn't for everyone. I mean, lets face it... you have a point to be fair, because the acting certainly isn't the best, but then I can name a dozen other well liked films from around that era that suffer from the same "issues". In a weird way though, I think that's part of why I love them so much... it's like those cheesy 80s movies that are so bad they're good. :D

I grew up with Star Wars anyway and have very fond memories of watching them with friends and family as a kid, and not forgetting playing with all my Star Wars toys! I think we tend to ignore or just simply not notice if a film is bad when we're young... not that I'm admitting the original trilogy is bad though lol. I guess the same applies to kids who grew up with the prequel trilogy... all they see are fun characters and cool action, whereas us older fans see nothing but dog ****. :p
There could be a Whole other thread for revisting beloved films from childhood that you realize are not so good!
Seriously...The myth of GOONIES being anything but a turkey needs to be put down! (And Cyndi Lauper should be viewed as music criminal for that song). (Geezus, I though Mad Magazine's UP THE ACADEMY was the ANIMAL HOUSE for us kids! Awful!) And I loved and adored MEATBALLS. But take the Bill Murray scenes out, and it is an ABC movie of the week.:p
As for us not understanding kids liking the prequels....well, they are growing up on pure sugar. So little actual nutrition in a lot of these films.
By, the way - I did have a great moment when I found the DeSpecialized Editions of The Star Wars Trilogy.
Still not my bag, but they are SO MUCH better with the imperfections and dodgier effects. I actually had muscle memory from when I saw them as a kid. (The special editions really ripped the soul and beating heart from those movies).

• Thanks
I think the problem with some films is that they are great in their day but time hasn't been kind to them. And it doesn't mater on the era. Some past the test of time. Others don't. So you can see some films for the 1st time no mater what you're age and go "Wow" or "Why haven't I seen that before" and others you go "What's the fuss all about" simply because it was a film of it's day and time hasn't been kind.

Reactions: Hamill82
There's one other oldie which makes people say "You have to see this film"

Gone with the Wind (1939)

For some reason I haven't seen it yet

Never seen it either. It was premiered on BBC1 25 years ago and they ****** it up by dividing it up into 2 part. Was going to watch it but ended up being put off by it being shown over 2 nights. I have the blu-ray and still haven't watched it.

I have to admit I haven't seen Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane is one of those films (actually a lot of films) I see once and never see again......
I recommend watching it again with Roger Ebert's excellent commentary. Ebert talks about and points out Welles brilliant film techniques. You will appreciate the film more after listening to his commentary.

One I completely forgot to mention before, and probably shocks people the most when I say I've never seen it, especially since I owned multiple DVD editions back in the day and it was also one of the first Blu-rays I ever picked up... the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. :bag:

Finally decided to sit down and watch it earlier though and can definitely see why it's rated so highly among horror fans... it's pretty damn creepy even today! :ohno:

I'm now tempted to watch the others, despite how bad I've heard they are... I mostly just want to know more about Leatherface and his weird family. :p

One I completely forgot to mention before, and probably shocks people the most when I say I've never seen it, especially since I owned multiple DVD editions back in the day and it was also one of the first Blu-rays I ever picked up... the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. :bag:

Finally decided to sit down and watch it earlier though and can definitely see why it's rated so highly among horror fans... it's pretty damn creepy even today! :ohno:

I'm now tempted to watch the others, despite how bad I've heard they are... I mostly just want to know more about Leatherface and his weird family. :p

It's no more than 10 years ago when saw this movie for the first time. Soon after I met Gunnar Hansen himself who's truly one of nicest guy you could imagine, more like a teddy bear than a Leatherface :LOL:. It was so hard to imagine him as Leatherface. By the way, rest in peace Gunnar, sadly he died few years ago.

I have to say Texas Chain Saw Massacre was quite different what I had in mind. I always thought it was mainly just gory and all, but actually they didn't show that much and I truly appreciate this aspect of the film. A lot of stuff is left for your own imagination and there is great oppressive feeling troughout the film. Such a creepy film and I shall always remember the scene when Leatherface suddenly appears and runs to grab the girl . I almost had an heart attack. Great horror classic, love it.

• Thanks
It's no more than 10 years ago when saw this movie for the first time. Soon after I met Gunnar Hansen himself who's truly one of nicest guy you could imagine, more like a teddy bear than a Leatherface :LOL:. It was so hard to imagine him as Leatherface. By the way, rest in peace Gunnar, sadly he died few years ago.

I have to say Texas Chain Saw Massacre was quite different what I had in mind. I always thought it was mainly just gory and all, but actually they didn't show that much and I truly appreciate this aspect of the film. A lot of stuff is left for your own imagination and there is great oppressive feeling troughout the film. Such a creepy film and I shall always remember the scene when Leatherface suddenly appears and runs to grab the girl . I almost had an heart attack. Great horror classic, love it.
I actually had no clue who played Leatherface and meant to Google it after watching the film earlier, so thanks for reminding me! The actor definitely doesn't look as unfriendly as his character, thankfully. :p

Yeah, I kind of had similar expectations to be honest... there was less gore than I expected, but it was a lot creepier than I imagined. The fact that you have to use your own imagination (like you said) actually worked really well... it added to the whole scare factor, as you have no idea who the family are or why they do what they do, which makes them even freakier!

Do any of the other films tell you their backstory by any chance?

I actually had no clue who played Leatherface and meant to Google it after watching the film earlier, so thanks for reminding me! The actor definitely doesn't look as unfriendly as his character, thankfully. :p

Yeah, I kind of had similar expectations to be honest... there was less gore than I expected, but it was a lot creepier than I imagined. The fact that you have to use your own imagination (like you said) actually worked really well... it added to the whole scare factor, as you have no idea who the family are or why they do what they do, which makes them even freakier!

Do any of the other films tell you their backstory by any chance?

Besides the original, I have to admit I have only seen the remake. I was supposed to order the 2nd film with Dennis Hopper ages ago, but I've forgotten the whole thing. I really need to see it, so I'll go right ahead to order it now.

• Thanks