Deep Deep Hole
BUY NOW

• United States
  • 97 minutes
  • Black and White
  • 1.33:1
  • English
  • Spine #732

John Ford takes on the legend of the O.K. Corral shoot-out in this multilayered, exceptionally well-constructed western, one of the director’s very best films. Henry Fonda cuts an iconic figure as Wyatt Earp, the sturdy lawman who sets about the task of shaping up the disorderly Arizona town of Tombstone, and Victor Mature gives the performance of his career as the boozy, tubercular gambler and gunman Doc Holliday. Though initially at cross-purposes, the pair ultimately team up to confront the violent Clanton gang. Affecting and stunningly photographed, My Darling Clementine is a story of the triumph of civilization over the Wild West from American cinema’s consummate mythmaker.

Disc Features
  • New 4K digital restoration of the theatrical release version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • High-definition presentation of the 103-minute prerelease version of the film
  • New audio commentary featuring John Ford biographer Joseph McBride
  • New interview with western historian Andrew C. Isenberg about the real Wyatt Earp
  • Comparison of the two versions by the UCLA Film & Television Archive’s Robert Gitt
  • New video essay by Ford scholar Tag Gallagher
  • A Bandit’s Wager, a 1916 short costarring Ford and directed by his brother, Francis Ford, featuring new music composed and performed by Donald Sosin
  • NBC broadcast reports from 1963 and 1975 about the history of Tombstone and Monument Valley
  • Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic David Jenkins

New cover by F. Ron Miller

80635_front.jpg

Day one buy for me. I like it when Criterion do commercial films as apposed to art house films that have maybe been seen by about 10 people.

Picked this up on TCM shop's 20% off and free shipping sale. When I was a kid my grandfather used to watch "Westerns" all the time. Going to feel a bit nostalgic and think of him when I watch this. Great film and worthy of any Criterion collection.