My wife* doesn't understand (*substitute wife with apropriate other if applicable)

Dec 17, 2010
South west england
I constantly struggle to justify my collection to my wife and this has been ongoing for some time (in fact since I started collecting full stop), I find myself regularly under valuing my purchases in order to prevent arguments and I often find myself not mentioning purchases at all.

I often have to get quite creative when called for, and this is mainly due to a large size parcel incoming or the delivery is due to arrive on a day when my wife will be home in the morning.

This is clearly a common theme amongst us here as I have seen it mentioned a lot, most recently this morning in a thread in the steelbook section. However women have been doing this to us for ages with clothes/make up/perfume etc.

I am just setting this thread up as a support group of you like, please feel free to share your confessions of concealing prices or steelbooks/box sets from the better half.

I have yet to be caught as wisely I still have my sole use bank account for my slush money that gets left over after bills/mortgage etc.

Please share and be unburdened, this thread is totally confidential (sort of).
;)

Last edited:
My girlfriend buys me steelbooks, and buys some herself - contributing to my collection :drool: :oohyeah:

She also goes halves on new releases if she likes the movie too, so £23.99 turns into £12 for me :scat:

Reactions: dfoles
The 'Things my wife/partner/significant other says about my movie addiction' thread

For years members have commented on funny or (disconcerting!) situations where significant others have remarked things that pertain to the hobby of collecting movies and related items throughout the threads at hidefninja.com.

Here's your chance to share some funny stories with other members.

Have fun! :scat:

Reactions: PunkNinja
LOL My wife comments its impossible to pick out a movie from the wall that you just stare and stare and can't find anything because you are overwhelmed

26189_1241326797542_4273256_n.jpg

Oh and thats an old photo a bookshelf and half ago.

LOL My wife comments its impossible to pick out a movie from the wall that you just stare and stare and can't find anything because you are overwhelmed

26189_1241326797542_4273256_n.jpg

Oh and thats an old photo a bookshelf and half ago.

LOL, oh yes, a popular predicament..the other day I had some people over and we were to watch 'The Silence of the Lambs', for a bit of Halloween fun. I could not find my Steelbook :hilarious:

My girlfriend helped me to un-polybag all of my steels while I was putting them into steelshells.

She's a keeper

Reactions: Flash
Well my GF does know I collect steelbooks but doesn't know how I pay or have paid in the past, good job we don't live together currently as I might have trouble explaining why 6 12 inch toys worth £1800 (hot toys the avengers set) in my wardrobe!!!
But I'm sure she would say it is my money and I should spend it how I want as she is a good one

Great thread!

I've been collecting for over a year now & I have about 130+ Steelbooks. Believe it or not, my girlfriend bought me my first Steelbook! Target Django Unchained! It had a spine slash, & have to admit it bothered me a lot. I returned the next morning. She created a MONSTER! I make more than my girlfriend, and at times she says it's not fair that I get to buy so much stuff and she doesn't . After bills, I have a bit more extra cash to spend. I show off all my steels to her and we watch all the movies together. At time I didn't disclose exactly how much I paid, mostly for the more 'hard to find' aka 'easy to find, if ur willing to fork over $100+ on a single Steelbook'. I don't lie about buying them, but only how much I paid for the more expensive ones. Here is a pic of ones I haven't disclosed the exact amount I spent on them:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: psychoscot
Too often we hide our passions in fear of judgement of our geekiness. I've reached the point if you don't like it then it's not meant to be. I am a huge geek take it or leave it ;)

Heh, I see myself in some of the earlier posts in this thread. My fiancee occasionally scoffs about Steelbook purchases but mostly if it's a new release of a film I already own in a Steelbook or if it's "too much" in a short time period. I usually don't tell her the price and she doesn't ask. Good thing Kimchi and Blufans don't put the real amount on the customs slip. :rofl:
Most of the Steels that don't come directly from Asia go to a post box near my work, anyway. So I'm regularly smuggling contraband into my Steelbook shelf. Trying to make it look like nothing has been added is hard work, indeed. I still have about ten releases waiting to be rescued from my (lockable) drawer at work. I usually smuggle some in after buying some I officially told her about. :D