Need Speaker Advice - New Receiver on the way

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hey guys! I was hoping that some of you HDN audiophiles out there might have some advice.

I have a set of 5.1 speakers that I can use in the interim, from my receiver that is no longer with us.

I just bought an Onkyo 300W, 5.1 Ch receiver (HT-RC430), partly because of the price and also because I had a gift card (still on sale at Best Buy). :naughty:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+300W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/7078305.p?id=1218828709381&skuId=7078305&st=New_Year_Sale_Home_Theater_102873&cp=1&lp=3

But I wanted to ask folks here - given the following - what are your thoughts on speakers?

1) I'm on a budget, so I'd like to spend around $200 or maybe less...but no hurry on pricing.

2) What speakers do you have or have had in the past that worked well?

3) I have limited space, so likely would like 4x satellite speakers, a center channel and a smaller subwoofer.

4) System will be used primarily for movies & games.

5) Room size is 12 ft wide, 17 ft long

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want things small in size, perhaps check into bose. I know most audiophiles despise bose but in regards to satellite and small they do the job.

Amazing price on that receiver ... Didnt know you could decode HD audio tracks for that type of price these days. I got an onkyo 605 or 606 cant remember like 5 years ago and it was retailing at like $600 i got a refurb for $300 and its been great ever since.

My speakers are polk audio ... can usually catch good deals on them via either Frys, newegg, or Amazon

If you want things small in size, perhaps check into bose. I know most audiophiles despise bose but in regards to satellite and small they do the job.

Amazing price on that receiver ... Didnt know you could decode HD audio tracks for that type of price these days. I got an onkyo 605 or 606 cant remember like 5 years ago and it was retailing at like $600 i got a refurb for $300 and its been great ever since.

My speakers are polk audio ... can usually catch good deals on them via either Frys, newegg, or Amazon

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome price for an HD receiver.

Have you seen these Klipsch speakers? Tempted but don't think I can pull the trigger on these yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780018

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome price for an HD receiver.

Have you seen these Klipsch speakers? Tempted but don't think I can pull the trigger on these yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780018

not bad ... but honestly if you are going to go the small speaker route then go without speaker wires ... if you're going to do speaker wires then just pace yourself and buy each piece at a time.

Just get your front speakers first ... you can usually catch a good deal on very good front speakers. Deals usually range with buying a previous speaker model. For instance I have Polk Audio Monitor 70's ... 70's are like the best in that line but they were an older line and thus were basically drastically reducing them to get rid of them.

With your HD receiver and 2 good fronts you'll be fine until you then buy a center channel .... sub .... rears ... and so on.

This is ofcoure going the quality route which is pretty much impossible to go wireless .... I put down a big area rug in the man -cave that i got from home depot that covers my wires since I didnt want to run them a long wall etc.

I used to work for an audio visual company for a few years back in the days so I needed my HD audio :) and cant wait till I have a house of my own that I will go all out with. :p