Netflix to stream 4K next year

ash333

s'Mod
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Mar 3, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
From The Verge:

Ask anyone what the largest issue facing 4K video is, and you'll likely be told that it's distribution; bringing the massive files — with four times the resolution of a 1080p video — to viewers' homes is an incredible challenge. Nevertheless, Netflix believes it will be able stream Ultra HD 4K videos to customers by next year, and it's already testing the feature, according to Gigaom. In fact, you can watch Netflix's test footage now, as a number of 4K "movies" have hit the service for internal checks on 4K performance. It's worth noting that the movies are all made up of test footage, and 4K quality isn't an option yet for subscribers.

Netflix hasn't kept its interest in streaming 4K video directly to subscribers' homes a secret. CPO Neil Hunt told The Verge this spring that "we expect to be delivering 4K within a year or two with at least some movies and then over time become an important source of 4K," and CEO Reed Hastings said on a recent earnings call that "we want to be one of the big suppliers of 4K next year." The company also teamed up with Samsung to demonstrate live 4K streaming at CES this past January. While it's unclear if Netflix will be able to meet its goal of a 2014 launch, it looks like there will be some good content once it does arrive: the company's very own House of Cards will be among some of the first video on the site offered in 4K.

As a lover of tech and always more knowledgeable than my friends in this outside world there is one thing that has happened this go-round that hasn't happened before. My friends are getting 4k TVs before me. So I will say the drop in prices has or will give it somewhat of a fighting chance.

I'm not all too concerned about 4k for streaming purposes as internet speeds and lack of quality content I care about will most likely make me not care about anyhow. I'm more excited to see what Ultra HD Blu-ray brings to the table. Its already confirmed the format is region free. (bout damn time) Not that I'm saying that makes it some saving grace for disc format or some resurgence, but it definitely helps "our world" of folks who still care for the disc with high regard.

The thing I'm more interested to see is not only is Ultra HD Blu-ray just 4k on a disc they are really touting the extra technology but I guess by this it won't even be there from the get-go .... will come later.

"It's also going to offer future support for high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate (HFR) content when those standards are finalised too.

Considering HDR alone will add another 20% extra on top of the demands for 4K streaming Ultra HD Blu-rays could well be most people's best chance at getting the next generation of image quality, consistently, in their homes."

Granted all that aside it's not like 4k is leaps and bounds better then just 1080p Blu-ray. Hence why I haven't been rushed into buying a 4k tv. I have 70" 240hrz cinema 3d tv that has an amazing picture and experience .... so I need the prices of 4k to come down to the point that I feel comfortable buying a tv that size and magnitude to best that TV I got as that is when I will push that TV out and most likely have it in my "Man cave" area. So until I'm ready I doubt I will have 4k soon. That or just replace our living room tv at the time of Ultra HD Blu-ray release if I really wanna be an early adopter. Least then I could go smaller on TV size. ie. 50-60"
Well said. The jump between 1080p and 4K is far less dramatic than the jump from 480 to 1080.
In fact, if you don't have tv 60" or larger, you will not see the difference at all. Furthermore, streaming services (and especially Netfilix) don't even have the bandwidth to keep their current customers at a steady 1080p stream, let alone 4k! ( they are truly putting the cart before the horse).
Also, there is so little content in 4k, that the first two years will likely be the same 10 movies on a loop. (Or, like the 3D channels on Time Warner and Directv, just disappear after the 4k thing is revealed to be a bridge to 8K*).
I won't touch 4K. It is a "man in the middle" step. 8K is already here. (And the only TV that you should buy in the future should be an LG OLED... I am a Samsung man. But LG has the tech and the patents, and Samsung is playing catch up.)
*the new GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is being shot in 8K btw.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: apsmith21
8k is here but nowhere near being ready for adoption in the home market, and when it will be, the cost of entry will be high making the wait even longer. There will always be a stepping stone when it comes to evolving technologies. I know 4K content is lacking now but it's coming and we haven't seen the most of the technology yet (HDR, Dolby Vision etc.). I am enjoying 4K upconversion now on my 65" LG OLED and can definitely notice the difference from 1080p. I'm excited to see what UHD Blu Ray brings. If you can get an OLED on a promo (got a 49" LG 4K LED tv in the cost of the OLED) and can swing the price, I'd say you won't be disappointed :thumbs:

Reactions: Wreck
my personal feeling is 4k is where its gonna be at for a VERY long time. Granted its not like I seen 4k vs 8k ... but I think 8k might become a standard in theater and potentially never in a home application unless your screen size is 70+

I read about the ratio for Human Eye vs. sitting distance vs. screen size ... and the distances were already short for 4k ... Not sure anyone wants to sit at 4 feet away for a 80" TV to say they are seeing difference in 8k

That said ... I think in my next 20 years I'll be fine with 1080p upscaled, 4k material, HDR via Ultra HD Bluray and then only 8k if i'm at the cinema.

My TV doesnt support HDR, but it may in the future (firmware update) but non-HDR 4k non the less looks fantastic on it as does 1080p upscaled.

Im currently making my way through the LOTR Extended Bluray's and the pucture looks fantastic.