Multi NieR: Automata (2017)

Jan 31, 2012
Release: February 2017 (Japan)
Platform: PS4

Nier: Automata
is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix exclusively for the PlayStation 4. The game is set in the same universe as Nier, a spin-off of the Drakengard series.

Production began in 2014, with series creator Taro Yoko, producer Yosuke Saito, and composer Keiichi Okabe returning to their respective roles. Atsushi Inaba is acting as co-producer for PlatinumGames, while regular Square Enix artist Akihiko Yoshida designed the main characters. The goal was to make a new Nier game true to the spirit of the original, while creating better action gameplay.

I struggled to get through the orignal Nier on PS3. Despite loving the story and music, I found the gameplay and padding to get all the endings extremely tedious. I hoped Yoko Taro's follow up title Drakengard 3 would deliver a more linear/smoother action experience but that game was a real hot mess from top to bottom. Now by some miracle Platinum Games (Bayonetta/Vanquish/Metal Gear Rising etc) of all studios are heading up the production of an offshoot sequel to NieR. The reveal trailer footage speaks for itself. If all the stars align as they should this game could be fantastic!

Last edited:
The Japanese Covert is AWESOME! :woot: :cool: :drool:
Nier-Japan.jpg

Reactions: Last Lizard
The Japanese Covert is AWESOME! :woot: :cool: :drool:
View attachment 274401

There's a semi-decent chance it'll be the same in the west, going by SE using some nice art on the Drakengard 3 box. At the same time won't be surprised if they go western style and give us an ugly CG face close up instead: the standard chin down/eyes up tough guy pose. Or generic 'I'M CHARGING A BIG ATTACK AND GLOWING' character art. :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
for $180 ( :wacky: ) that Steelbook better be glossed to the max... but it probably won't be. Pre-ordered the CE anyways eventhough it seems heavily overpriced. The only reason they can command so much I feel is because they genuinely make them limited and restrict them to being Squenix store exclusives. I hope the figure is good quality too... doesn't seem to be play arts kai so chances are the face will actually be good. :watch: Still I usually never buy these damn thinsg with good quality statues figures in mind so I'm prepared with my dose of buyer's regret. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Did you have the chance to play the demo?

I loved it, took me right back to the PS2 days.The controls and camera are so smooth and natural, the gameplay is great.
Not yet mate... hopefully I'll get the chance over the next few days. Glad to hear it's good! :)

I've played through the demo around 6 times now. After much hype I was initially a bit let down. Not because it was bad on any level but for the fac that it reminded me way too much of Platinum's other titles like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Transformers... even Korra. So what's the problem with that you might ask, P* character action titles are great. They sure are... they also haven't seen any truly meaningful changes in design in years. I was struck by how samey it felt - while also pleased to finally have a Yoko Taro game that doesn't actually play like ****. :rofl:

After more time with the demo, I've come to grips with it on a deeper mechanical level and can accept that it really is a proper collaboration. Keeping in mind that this is an action RPG, this game seems primed to offer pretty much the best real-time action that we've ever seen in the genre. Smooth and responsive 60fps, a healthy mix of combos (that we'll see more of with a full weapon set in the final release) that offer a bit more in the ways of complex 'style ranking' and gameplay variety - Huge boss battles, melee and bullet hell arenas and a Mech shmup all inside 30 mins.

If anything bothers me it's that the enemies are pretty timid and easy and that the dodge mechanic is a little too forgiving... however it is just a demo and knowing Platinum I think you can anticipate a bit more of a challenge in the final game. All that seems to be left is the story. If you're turned off by anything you've seen in terms of its overly anime-aesthetic and you're perhaps imagining a lazy, hammy, and generic r0botz hav f33lingz plot - well you might be right. Except I'm willing to bet you'll also be wrong.

The original Nier on the face of it looked terrible to me... from a gameplay perspective I couldn't push myself to finish the game. Instead I watched my boyfriend play through it and took in the story. The story that went from entirely what I expected to not at all what I expected. It tricked me in the best way. In a way that a videogame rarely ever has. Like Hideo Kojima, Yoko Taro clearly loves the form of videogames and uses it in ways we rarely see in a single project. If he can do it again (he can fall flat on his face too imo; see Drakengard 3!) then I really think we'll have something special with this one. The combination of Platinum's steady (if relatively samey) hand and the subversive nature of Taro's way of looking at the world feels like another longtime promised but yet to be delivered distinctly Japanese affair - an action rpg where every element holds up its end of the deal, where the story could be every bit as worthwhile and meaningful as the polished gameplay.

This game's success all but saved Platinum Games studio from going out of business after they lost their deal with Microsoft when Scalebound was cancelled. So if you're happy about Bayonetta 3 and generally the probable future of Japanese character action games in general (aside from DMC5 anyway) then you can tip your hat to this game for doing so well. I would imagine about 60% of players only bought the game for one reason too. If you search for fan art of this game you'll quickly realize what that 'reason' is. :rofl: