Nightcrawler (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Dec 13, 2013
West Sussex, UK
Release date: March 2nd, 2015
Purchase link: here (ships only within UK)
Price: £14.99 (instore @ HMV) / £17.99 (online @ eOne)
Notes: Majority of print run qty to be sold by HMV
Initially listed as eOne Exclusive 1st.

Group buy: Click here or via Naughtius Maximus

nightcrawler.jpg
nightcrawler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like eOne Direct has online exclusivity and HMV has in-store exclusivity. I think it's a good idea but claiming it is actually exclusive is a bit of a stretch.
I really hope that's the case! I'd actually love to see them do this with more HMV exclusive steels... buying it online from eOne at £18 still works out cheaper for me (if it is definitely £15 in store), because it costs me over £4 just to get the bus to my closest HMV store. (n)

Personally, me and the GF thought this movie was ballbags. Ace performance, no doubt, but a great performance in a movie that dragged to the point of tedium with zero directorial flare and awful (to the point of distracting) soundtrack.
Just could not understand the rave reviews.

Oh, and I liked Under The Skin and wouldn't touch a Transformers movie with a barge pole, so I like to think I have, at least, a little taste ;)

Personally, me and the GF thought this movie was ballbags. Ace performance, no doubt, but a great performance in a movie that dragged to the point of tedium with zero directorial flare and awful (to the point of distracting) soundtrack.

Oh, and I liked Under The Skin and wouldn't touch a Transformers movie with a barge pole, so I like to think I have, at least, a little taste ;)

Nothing wrong with Transformers IMO.

Under the skin was pretentious crap, plotless and boring.

Last edited:

Pretty much agreed. This might have been Jake's feint Travis Bickle turn but the movie itself was not his Taxi Driver by a ways off in my book. An easy pass on top of this art not doing anything for me at all.

Pretty much agreed. This might have been Jake's feint Travis Bickle turn but the movie itself was not his Taxi Driver by a ways off in my book. An easy pass on top of this art not doing anything for me at all.
I don't understand all the comparisons to Travis Bickel and TAXI DRIVER.
If anything, Gyllenhaal's character was much more like Rupert Pupkin in Scorsese's KING OF COMEDY.

Reactions: Prazzers and lolwut
I don't understand all the comparisons to Travis Bickel and TAXI DRIVER.
If anything, Gyllenhaal's character was much more like Rupert Pupkin in Scorsese's KING OF COMEDY.

I agree, which is why I used the word feint. I think anytime people see a character reacting to themself in a mirror, violently or otherwise they're keen to make a quick superficial callback to that particular role/movie. Still I stand by my use of the example as I felt like Taxi Driver extends beyond DeNiro but Nightcrawler doesn't extend too far beyond Jake Gyllenhaal.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I agree, which is why I used the word feint. I think anytime people see a character reacting to themself in a mirror, violently or otherwise they're keen to make a quick superficial callback to that particular role/movie. Still I stand by my use of the example as I felt like Taxi Driver extends beyond DeNiro but Nightcrawler doesn't extend too far beyond Jake Gyllenhaal.
Good points Lizard. I wasn't directly commenting on your take- your take just reminded me that so many people were making that comparison!
My take after the film was that it was interesting- but at the end of the day, there was no real 'meat' on the narrative 'bone' of that story. We hung out with a fairly sleazy guy for 2 hours, and found out the media is sleazy too.
Not much new there.
Gyllenhaal was very good with what he was given though.

Reactions: Last Lizard
Ahhhh swap them over now!!! Really like that back. Should be the front