[NINJA WEEK 2013 GIVEAWAY] Are remakes getting Old? [WINNER CHOSEN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

Special Projects
Premium Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Buxton Maine
Well speaking of Old and remakes. Seems that Oldboy is getting the Hollywood treatment. And as luck would have it, we have a copy of Oldboy steelbook up for grabs.
I don't recommend waiting around for 15 years, as this giveaway will close tomorrow at 4PM and winner will be chosen by random.org

So How do you enter? If you have seen the film, what part from the original film do you hope they recreate in the remake? (please use spoilers). For those of you that have not seen the film yet. Are you waiting for the Hollywood version and what excites you about it?

1. ocielz
2. Necroscope
3. stinkofdefeat
4. Illiciter
5. Horhay
6. PunkNinja
7. Kuzco
8. sproutyrouty
9. Researcher
10. BigBlizz
11. bigrob
12. Flip
13. SimonLDT
14. adrenaline78
15. glaucoheitor
16. Colombianlove41
17. Twanky
18. Lucky101
19. unam9

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure many of the themes will get replaced, too many things considered Taboo here in the States. Hopefully they'll keep the long hallway fight intact.

And YES remakes are getting OLD...... Hollywood needs to come up with more original Ideas.

Reactions: Ricker
Remakes really chap my @$$. What ever happened to an original story? It feels like the height of arrogance to think you can take a great/good movie and do it better.
And, yeah, hammer hallway fight all the way...

I haven't seen this film so can't really comment on it, I will say that remakes are annoying however they can be good if done right. Dredd comes to mind (I haven't seen it yet either but hear so many good things about it).

I'll tell you that the fact that it has Spike Lee directing and Samuel L. Jackson on board... I don't think it will be a TERRIBLE remake, but I certainly hope they maintain close to the original as much as possible.

Please don't count me in as I have the SB, but had to chime in. ;)

Spike Lee would not have been my first choice to remake this, but we'll see if he stays true or not.

I hope they use the octopus scene, and make the main actor really do it. If anything like the orginal, Choi Min-sik had to do this 4 times. :p

Remakes are getting OLD, I feel that Hollywood is running out of ideas. Everyone is so concerned with making big budget movies with special effects and whatnot, but fail to understand what the audience really wants.

There are few examples of movies that didn't need huge explosions, gun shootings, etc. and only needed a director with enough vision to put something together. A movie that still stands out is Moon, not the greatest, but a good flick that showcases the director's ability to do something good without going overboard.

The tongue cutting scene.

I love Choi Min Sik, he's a very intense actor. I hope they recreate that scene with the same intensity.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the movie so I cannot comment but I would be quite interested in this remake, depending obviously of the cast and director... as I had really good echoes from friends about the original.

Remakes are getting OLD, I feel that Hollywood is running out of ideas. Everyone is so concerned with making big budget movies with special effects and whatnot, but fail to understand what the audience really wants.

There are few examples of movies that didn't need huge explosions, gun shootings, etc. and only needed a director with enough vision to put something together. A movie that still stands out is Moon, not the greatest, but a good flick that showcases the director's ability to do something good without going overboard.
I'm not sure that is a fair point, my friend. The audience is clearly showing what they want. The movies with no originality and explosions rake it in at the box office, while something like Moon does terribly. Hollywood is a business. They stopped caring about "art" a long, long time ago. The resposibility lies with us: the movie going public. If we stop going to see these terrible and unoriginal movies, then they'll stop making them because its all about the money. The problem is that we've been fed garbage for so long, that our expectations are tragically low. When a truly good and original film comes along, the average theatre goer doesn't know what to do with, and thus, shuns it. So we continue to frequent crappy movies because we've been consistently fed crappy movies. It's a viscious cycle. Time to break that cycle. Stand up for quality!

Wow. That escalated quickly. Sorry for the rant. This is a real issue for me.

I havent seen the film so i dont know, however yes remakes are getting old most of them dont do the original justice which is a shame, the industry should come up with new films rather than recycling old films

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do have the steel so, not gonna participate in the giveaway.

I kind of like remakes when done correctly. Total Recall comes to mind, the remake was much better IMO than the original. Plus, a remake is exciting to compare notes with the original too.

Having said that, going by what I've heard about Oldboy, it'll be a surprise if the Hollywood version can match it :)

i haven't seen this yet, but i hope they stay true to the original

Last edited:
Hmmm, imo a lot of Korean films don't tend to work well when/if remade into Hollywood films, mainly because of how violent some of them are and also some of the themes they convey.

Has to be the corridor fight scene. One of the finest scenes ever filmed and I find it very iconic. One long shot, no cuts.

Personally I don't care if they remake films, but every film doesn't need to be remade. They need to change it enough to freshen it up, but they can't remove any of the major themes such as the huge twist in oldboy.

I'm not sure that is a fair point, my friend. The audience is clearly showing what they want. The movies with no originality and explosions rake it in at the box office, while something like Moon does terribly. Hollywood is a business. They stopped caring about "art" a long, long time ago. The resposibility lies with us: the movie going public. If we stop going to see these terrible and unoriginal movies, then they'll stop making them because its all about the money. The problem is that we've been fed garbage for so long, that our expectations are tragically low. When a truly good and original film comes along, the average theatre goer doesn't know what to do with, and thus, shuns it. So we continue to frequent crappy movies because we've been consistently fed crappy movies. It's a viscious cycle. Time to break that cycle. Stand up for quality!

Wow. That escalated quickly. Sorry for the rant. This is a real issue for me.

Granted, my example only details a personal preference. I have stopped going to see remakes and movies that "I" deem cash grabs. Obviously, I don't speak for the general audience, but I am paying $18 USD per ticket so I have no low standards. I still remember when tickets were $5.50 and now they are 3-4x their price and the majority of movies are garbage.

Personally, I've have resorted to foreign cinema, where there are plenty of gems. Hollywood is too full of themselves. There are good flicks, but they far too few in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.