PS4 Nioh (2017)

bloodsnake007

Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
nioh.jpg

NIOH is an upcoming historical fantasy action role-playing video game developed by Team Ninja and published by Koei Tecmo for the PlayStation 4. The game follows the story of a fictionalized William Adams, a white-haired English samurai during the dawn of Edo period Japan in 1600. The game will release worldwide on February 9, 2017.

Has anyone played this yet? Is it as good as Dark Souls 3?

I haven't finished DS3 yet though I am a fan of Soulsborne titles and have finished the rest of them multiple times.

I'm still plugging through Nioh and with 20+ hours on the clock can at least say that the Souls comparisons are apt but also don't give you the full story. Nioh is like a combination of Ninja Gaiden, Souls and Diablo. On the surface it looks like a Souls clone but as you get better at the combat, you find it behaves more like Ninja Gaiden or DMC. Faster paced combat with a more expansive moveset. It's also a bit more lenient than the early demos suggested. And lastly it has a huge focus on loot and quick stage runs to farm for special crafting materials and boss items.

Personally the loot aspect isn't a huge plus for me, I would have probably been into the game even more if it focused on specific item drop locations and didn't encourage you wasting quite alot of your time in your menus comparing gear stats - but \'ve just never been a massive fan of this in any RPG, many people are fine with it. Also enemy variety feels a bit lacking to me compared to the way Souls handles the kind of constant one-upping the threat of something new that you don't know how to handle. You'll fight alot of the same enemy types over and over again through each level. However Team Ninja will be releasing some free DLC in March which promises new challenges and there's also a season pass as well with forthcoming Story Expansion and new Weapon/Armour DLCs as well as PVP matching. Also the game does offer more difficult variations of the missions called the Twilight Mode.

I'm definitely enjoying it and by the looks of it will be playing for some time. I would say check it out though don't expect the same type of world building or connective maps as Souls. The story isn't as vague either although thus far the plot is pretty thin and your main motivation is just the gameplay. Said gameplay is really fun though and takes some time to master so if that's your thing definitely go for it!

I haven't finished DS3 yet though I am a fan of Soulsborne titles and have finished the rest of them multiple times.

I'm still plugging through Nioh and with 20+ hours on the clock can at least say that the Souls comparisons are apt but also don't give you the full story. Nioh is like a combination of Ninja Gaiden, Souls and Diablo. On the surface it looks like a Souls clone but as you get better at the combat, you find it behaves more like Ninja Gaiden or DMC. Faster paced combat with a more expansive moveset. It's also a bit more lenient than the early demos suggested. And lastly it has a huge focus on loot and quick stage runs to farm for special crafting materials and boss items.

Personally the loot aspect isn't a huge plus for me, I would have probably been into the game even more if it focused on specific item drop locations and didn't encourage you wasting quite alot of your time in your menus comparing gear stats - but \'ve just never been a massive fan of this in any RPG, many people are fine with it. Also enemy variety feels a bit lacking to me compared to the way Souls handles the kind of constant one-upping the threat of something new that you don't know how to handle. You'll fight alot of the same enemy types over and over again through each level. However Team Ninja will be releasing some free DLC in March which promises new challenges and there's also a season pass as well with forthcoming Story Expansion and new Weapon/Armour DLCs as well as PVP matching. Also the game does offer more difficult variations of the missions called the Twilight Mode.

I'm definitely enjoying it and by the looks of it will be playing for some time. I would say check it out though don't expect the same type of world building or connective maps as Souls. The story isn't as vague either although thus far the plot is pretty thin and your main motivation is just the gameplay. Said gameplay is really fun though and takes some time to master so if that's your thing definitely go for it!

I appreciate your review! Definitely got me interested. I'll probably pick.it up once I've completed Horizon.

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard