No Country for Old Men (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 10th, 2016
Purchase link: No Country for Old Men (live)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Includes slipcase. Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
@Steelselecta

all that said, seriously dull artwork.

Firstly, in my experience, not really fair to judge a steelbook properly until (a) either you have it in your hands or (b) seen live pics.
I've done the same thing many times only to feel slightly embarrassed when the items arrive looking so much better in the flesh than I'd supposed.
Secondly . . . "seriously dull"? ??. . . Maybe a bit harsh for what could be a quite vibrant steelbook with its bright colour palette of orange and yellow - thinking here of JOHN CARTER, BUTCH CASSIDY, BOOGIE NIGHTS and several others.
Anyway, we shall see soon enough :)

RE: DULL OR UNISPIRED U.K. STEELBOOKS - Obviously many around . . . although what is considered "dull" by one person may be considered "elegant" by another (LOL) . . . and even the dull ones could be considered preferable to the ugly blue plastic cases in which the Blu-rays normally come.

The other fact to consider is that many of the dull ones are the ONLY options available (could be WEA or even exclusive to the the U.K. or WWA art with no other artwork choice available from any other territory).
Of course, you can add "value" to the package with the inclusion of slipcovers, artcards etc. but the steelbook artwork is still the same more often than not. so you are NOT getting a better steelbook no matter how much extra you are paying.

Anyway, I'd like to direct your attention to a small selection of those U.K. steelbooks I personally consider to be seriously dull or uninspired - can't be bothered to photograph my examples so have pinched images from our all-seeing, all-knowing friend Prof. Google ;):-
N.B. That's not to say that I dislike any or all of these below only that they ain't as nice as some of the steelbooks for other films (just my opinion of course)
140440_large.jpg
148303_large.jpg
86096_large.jpg
89931_large.jpg
99631_large.jpg
95589_large.jpg
102359_large.jpg
108977_large.jpg
115134_large.jpg
113634_large.jpg
72904_large.jpg
117642_large.jpg

41252_large.jpg
41386_large.jpg
37599_large.jpg
51650_large.jpg
51676_large.jpg
48923_large.jpg

? ?

Ending with a brief comparison of some of those steels I consider to have less dull artwork compared to their U.K. equivalents

This --------------------------------------------------------------- or this

89376_large.jpg

This ----------------------------------------- or this
84364_large.jpg
99302_large.jpg

This --------------------------------------- or this
69031_large.jpg
158141_large.jpg

This -------------------------------------- or this
96327_large.jpg

This ------------------------------------------------ or this
92253_large.jpg
51032_large.jpg

This ---------------------------------------------- or this
100327_large.jpg
63517_large.jpg

This --------------------------------------------------- or this
84072_large.jpg

This ---------------------------------------------------- or this (although U.K. edition goes much better with U.K. #1 and U. K. #2).
109539_large.jpg

This ----------------------------------------------------- or this

131000_large.jpg
71194_large.jpg

This ------------------------------------------------- or this

11270347-2014415847101670.jpg

and so on and so forth.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Firstly, in my experience, not really fair to judge a steelbook properly until (a) either you have it in your hands or (b) seen live pics.
I've done the same thing many times only to feel slightly embarrassed when the items arrive looking so much better in the flesh than I'd supposed.
Secondly . . . "seriously dull"? ??. . . Maybe a bit harsh for what could be a quite vibrant steelbook with its bright colour palette of orange and yellow - thinking here of JOHN CARTER, BUTCH CASSIDY, BOOGIE NIGHTS and several others.
Anyway, we shall see soon enough :)

RE: DULL OR UNISPIRED U.K. STEELBOOKS - Obviously many around . . . although what is considered "dull" by one person may be considered "elegant" by another (LOL) . . . and even the dull ones could be considered preferable to the ugly blue plastic cases in which the Blu-rays normally come.

The other fact to consider is that many of the dull ones are the ONLY options available (could be WEA or even exclusive to the the U.K. or WWA art with no other artwork choice available from any other territory).
Of course, you can add "value" to the package with the inclusion of slipcovers, artcards etc. but the steelbook artwork is still the same more often than not. so you are NOT getting a better steelbook no matter how much extra you are paying.

Anyway, I'd like to direct your attention to a small selection of those U.K. steelbooks I personally consider to be seriously dull or uninspired - can't be bothered to photograph my examples so have pinched images from our all-seeing, all-knowing friend Prof. Google ;):-
N.B. That's not to say that I dislike any or all of these below only that they ain't as nice as some of the steelbooks for other films (just my opinion of course)
140440_large.jpg
148303_large.jpg
86096_large.jpg
89931_large.jpg
99631_large.jpg
95589_large.jpg
102359_large.jpg
108977_large.jpg
115134_large.jpg
113634_large.jpg
72904_large.jpg
117642_large.jpg

41252_large.jpg
41386_large.jpg
37599_large.jpg
51650_large.jpg
51676_large.jpg
48923_large.jpg

? ?

Ending with a brief comparison of some of those steels I consider to have less dull artwork compared to their U.K. equivalents

This --------------------------------------------------------------- or this

89376_large.jpg

This ----------------------------------------- or this
84364_large.jpg
99302_large.jpg

This --------------------------------------- or this
69031_large.jpg
158141_large.jpg

This -------------------------------------- or this
96327_large.jpg

This ------------------------------------------------ or this
92253_large.jpg
51032_large.jpg

This ---------------------------------------------- or this
100327_large.jpg
63517_large.jpg

This --------------------------------------------------- or this
84072_large.jpg

This ---------------------------------------------------- or this (although U.K. edition goes much better with U.K. #1 and U. K. #2).
109539_large.jpg

This ----------------------------------------------------- or this

131000_large.jpg
71194_large.jpg

This ------------------------------------------------- or this

11270347-2014415847101670.jpg

and so on and so forth.
excellent stuff, and a good point well made! :emb: not least because, well, i own and love many of these, including all the Zavvi Alien films and the Full Metal Jacket helmet cover (it's got a good gloss to matt contrast), so i'll happily take a hit for my original comment. :sorry: i guess when you really love a film, you want the artwork to immediately grab you in the same way.

another good example for me of when i've been proved wrong is the Zavvi version of The Prestige. on screen it's a bit bland, but in person it's got this great holographic effect when you tilt it, plus some nice embossing and overall gloss work.

so... now looking forward to someone posting what this is like in person!

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
I added spoiler tags to your post, we don't want to give any spoilers away to those people that haven't seen the movie yet.
many thanks, appreciated. i'd tried to be non-specific about some aspects, but should have been about all / used the spoiler tag as normal.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Any word on what the specs/bonus features for this will be?

I'm thinking same Bonus Features as on the 2008 U.K. release:-

upload_2016-9-3_0-19-2.png

"The Supplements:
For a film that just won several Academy Awards, including Best Screenplay, Best Director(s), and Best Picture, No Country For Old Men doesn't boast many special features. To make things worse, not one of them is in high definition.

• The Making of No Country For Old Men: This twenty four minute featurette hovers somewhere between studio fluff and more serious fare. We get the expected interviews with cast and crew praising the project, but we also get several illuminating interviews with the Coens. Among the topics covered are their affinity for the material, casting, the violence used, and the differences in No Country from their other works.
    • Working With The Coens: Here we get more interviews with the actors, specifically talking about how great the Coens are. The best comments come from Javier Bardem, who is truly passionate about working with the pair.
    • Diary of a Country Sheriff: A closer look at Ed Tom Bell, and the way he contrasts with Chigurh. Despite its short length, this segment actually has the most bang for the buck as far as real substantive dissection goes.
===========================================================================================================================================================
The U.S. COLLECTOR'S EDITION has new Extras which I don't think are included here :-
Extras:

• The Making of No Country for Old Men (24:29)

• Working with the Coens (8:07)

• Diary of a Country Sheriff (6:44)

NEW:

• Josh Brolin's Unauthorized Behind-the-Scenes (9:19)

• 16 Interviews & Conversations featuring the Coens (5 hrs.)"

. . . and in more detail these are:-

"In addition to the three Bonus Features included in last year's Blu-ray release (The Making of No Country for Old Men, Working with the Coens and Diary of a Country Sheriff, the Collector's Edition has two new features: Josh Brolin's Unauthorised Behind-the Scenes video is a deadpan Coenesque parody of such featurettes in which the actors relate their "true" feelings about working with each other and the Coens. The other is a collection of some 16 interviews and conversations from October 26, 2007, five months after Cannes, but a couple weeks before general U.S. distribution, to February 9, 2008, just a couple weeks before the Oscars, which bestowed Best Picture, Director and Writing honors. These segments are of various lengths (from 3 minutes to an hour) with the press and the Coens or members of the cast (Josh & Javier, mostly), or both, originating on TV, the radio and other venues."
or:-
"New features on this release include Josh Brolin's Unauthorized Behind-the-Scenes (480p, 9:19), a piece featuring additional cast and crew interview snippets and behind-the-scenes footage. Rounding out disc one is Press Timeline, the meat-and-potatoes of the supplemental package. Included are a series of 16 publicity-related materials presented in 480p standard definition, including Lunch With David Poland (26:30), L.A. WGAW Q&A Panel (24:13), Variety Q&A (3:08), EW.com Just a Minute (12:55), Creative Screenwriting Magazine (21:25, audio only), NPR's All Things Considered (4:44, audio only), ABC Popcorn With Peter Travers (14:51), In-Store Appearance (40:31), Charlie Rose (22:33), WNBC Reel Talk With Lyons & Bailes (10:02), Channel 4 News (3:45), KCRW The Treatment (28:30, audio only), NPR's Day to Day (6:37, audio only), Spike Jonez Q&A (1:00:47), NPR's All Things Considered (7:49, audio only), and NPR's Weekend Edition (5:32, audio only).""

What the hell... Pre-ordered for now as it's a bad ass f*cking movie :D But may choose to cancel later on as the repetitive art isn't overly appealing :bag: Wish the likes of Kimchi/FAC/Manta etc would take this and produce a 'premium' style package... :hungry: