Noodles' Setup

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Apologies for the grainy photos, but these were taken on my phone which doesn't perform very well under artificial lighting. I'll try and get some better quality/more detailed shots up soon!

This is basically just my bedroom by the way, so everything is obviously a bit crammed in... unfortunately I lack the space for my bigger blu-ray and gaming editions, and all of my DVD's are still boxed away too. :(

Here's how it looked not too long after I'd finished decorating and putting together the furniture (minus my bed which I stood on to take most of the photos :p)...

My TV setup (I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to a better/bigger TV now I have the room for one)...

And the majority of my blu-ray collection...

Now I just need to get some shelves and posters hung up on the walls.

Thanks for looking! :)

14709432_185546308561949_736867983988621312_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply... I forgot to check my own thread for new posts. :LOL:

Now that you mention it... I'm half tempted to get all my Tarantino DVD editions out and make room for them, because some are so cool that it's a crime not to have them on display! I also have those Japanese Kill Bill sets you mentioned... they've always been two of my favourite editions, even now.

Same goes for Lost... I forgot how many editions of the show I owned until I was unpacking stuff the other week. I have a few more somewhere (including the blu-ray box set), but here's a photo of what I've found so far...

Do you have many DVD steelbooks? I have boxes of them I need to go through and sell... not sure if they're worth much nowadays though.

I've only got standard tatantino DVD's, reservoir dogs, Jackie brown and pulp are 2 disc special editions and the rest were as they came out, kill bill 2 came in a slip box with some art cards and death proof has reversible art with stuntman Mike and other girl who lap dances (butterfly). Then inglorious on Blu Ray ammray (the collector editon with the art cards and amazing slip box etc) and then all on steel except pulp and inglorious. I only have the kill bill vol 1 Japanese box set. Wouldn't mind the 2nd but I only paid £15 for the vol 1 set and didn't wana pay any more than that for the 2nd box set as I don't think it looks as good. Plus the film for that is the same everywhere Anyway. I mainly bought it for the colour fight and the shirt she wears. It was sold as open but everything was sealed lol even the bear, t shirt and sword. Bargain I thought

Wow that's a cool lost collection. I only have the singular season box sets but I don't own the last season. Refused to by it after I watched it but I would love a complete Blu Ray box set

What that's dharma initiative one?

Actually go through them all please (lol) top left, top right etc
One of them looks like the game version. I want :woot:

When I got into Blu Ray steels a few years back I actually already had quite a few DVD steels but didn't really take care of them and used to sell them to like CEX if I wasn't a fan of the film and put toward something else.
Even Blu steels, I had avatar original release and district 9 for years before I collected.
but the DVD steels I kept are cloverfield because i like how different is it to the blu Ray in finish, sin city, American gangster and i also have some g1 game steels I got free once when I worked at Hmv (assassins creed and Rayman lol - they are horrible)

But I did have more DVD steels but got rid of them before i got into Blu steels.
I would happily get rid of the 2 DVD steels as I don't like American gangster anymore and I have sin city on Blu Ray steel and ammray anyway but I'll always keep both cloverfield steels

You got any decent ones you still like?

I wouldn't know about re sale value on DVD steels, I see them pop up on eBay but I ignore them. Ugly sizes.

Keep seeing the iron man DVD steel pop on the bay. One on there for £12 and i thought the DVD steel was also a grail like the play.com steel (which I don't own :( )

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Big or small, it's all in the display, and you have a top notch setup! :)

As for 4k, I've seen the difference compared to 1080p on less than 80" screens and while there is a slight improvement over 1080p, it's not as noticable as larger screens. The colors seem to pop a bit more and that is all I really noticed. If I had to buy another TV right now, and the difference between a 1080p and 4k set was a couple hundred bucks, I'd go with 4k. However, if I wanted to save a couple hundred bucks, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not getting a 4k set.
Thanks man. :)

I'm actually not 100% happy with the way I have things displayed on my units at the moment though, so I may change things around at some point... that'll probably be ongoing as new editions come and go anyway.

Cheers for the info! I have to sit quite close to my TV because of the way I have my room set up, so getting a huge TV wouldn't really work for me, which I guess means there's even less point in me upgrading after what both yourself and @C.C. 95 said about 4K only really being noticeable on bigger screens.

I'll save my money for now. :thumbs:

With gaming, what people are really ooing and ahhing about is the higher frame rate (60 vs. 30). That IS a noticable difference, although a matter of taste once again. I just started playing The Last Of Us on PS4... and the HFR is not something I love. (I switched it back to 30 FPS). So There is aesthetic taste there. 60 FPS felt like a cheap soap opera, and 30 felt like a movie. For me, the only thing that is exciting about the newer tvs are the High Dynamic Color range and deeper blacks. (And if you DID get a 4K, OLED is the only way to go).
On the other hand, a REGION FREE player is a must!! (But be prepared to be poor, as all of a sudden - the world is yours, and there is no movie you cannot own!).
I honestly never really see much of a difference when it comes to frame rate on games... I switched between 60 and 30 on TLOU and they both looked more or less the same to me. I've noticed people do that a lot though... they get overexcited about the tiniest graphical improvements, which usually isn't worth the extra £/$ IMO. You guys have confirmed what I kind of assumed anyway, and that upgrading to 4K isn't worth it at the moment, so thanks for all the info... it's appreciated. :thumbs:

P.S. Why OLED? And what are the other options? I'm a serious noob when it comes to all this stuff... if you couldn't tell already. :p

Haha yeah, I already have my eye on tons of Criterions. Money isn't the only issue either... shelf space is a pretty big problem for me, so that's only going to get worse when I do eventually go region free. :ohno:

I've only got standard tatantino DVD's, reservoir dogs, Jackie brown and pulp are 2 disc special editions and the rest were as they came out, kill bill 2 came in a slip box with some art cards and death proof has reversible art with stuntman Mike and other girl who lap dances (butterfly). Then inglorious on Blu Ray ammray (the collector editon with the art cards and amazing slip box etc) and then all on steel except pulp and inglorious. I only have the kill bill vol 1 Japanese box set. Wouldn't mind the 2nd but I only paid £15 for the vol 1 set and didn't wana pay any more than that for the 2nd box set as I don't think it looks as good. Plus the film for that is the same everywhere Anyway. I mainly bought it for the colour fight and the shirt she wears. It was sold as open but everything was sealed lol even the bear, t shirt and sword. Bargain I thought

Wow that's a cool lost collection. I only have the singular season box sets but I don't own the last season. Refused to by it after I watched it but I would love a complete Blu Ray box set

What that's dharma initiative one?

Actually go through them all please (lol) top left, top right etc
One of them looks like the game version. I want :woot:

When I got into Blu Ray steels a few years back I actually already had quite a few DVD steels but didn't really take care of them and used to sell them to like CEX if I wasn't a fan of the film and put toward something else.
Even Blu steels, I had avatar original release and district 9 for years before I collected.
but the DVD steels I kept are cloverfield because i like how different is it to the blu Ray in finish, sin city, American gangster and i also have some g1 game steels I got free once when I worked at Hmv (assassins creed and Rayman lol - they are horrible)

But I did have more DVD steels but got rid of them before i got into Blu steels.
I would happily get rid of the 2 DVD steels as I don't like American gangster anymore and I have sin city on Blu Ray steel and ammray anyway but I'll always keep both cloverfield steels

You got any decent ones you still like?

I wouldn't know about re sale value on DVD steels, I see them pop up on eBay but I ignore them. Ugly sizes.

Keep seeing the iron man DVD steel pop on the bay. One on there for £12 and i thought the DVD steel was also a grail like the play.com steel (which I don't own :( )
Nice! I think I have most of those somewhere too. Good deal on the KB set by the way... I paid quite a lot for both of mine as I got them when they first came out and everyone was going mad for them. To this day I've never actually watched the coloured version of that scene... I'm still really hoping QT releases the Whole Bloody Affair at some point.

I got those Lost sets from the US, so they weren't cheap. The Dharma Initiative one contains Season 5 only, but it comes with some cool goodies - including a VHS tape, files on characters, fake leaflets, patches etc. Here's a mock-up image of the content...

1.jpg

The black box on the top left is just the packaging for the edition underneath it (same goes for the set on the bottom right - they're the actual discs from the same set). It's the complete series edition from the US, which is supposed to look like the temple, and the map on the underside of the lid turns to reveal a hidden disc with a scene featuring Hurley and Ben and what happened to them after they left the island. Here's the content...

2.jpg

They also released a similar edition in the UK which included the same content, but it came in a box rather than the temple... I have that one stored away somewhere too. I never bought/played the game by the way. A friend of mine who really enjoyed the show said it was really bad, so I just never bothered with it. Did you ever play it mate? As for the standard blu-ray box set... I've seen it go for around £30 brand new on Amazon before, and it's definitely worth picking up if you want to rewatch it all in HD. ;)

Haha same here dude... I didn't take much care of my game and DVD steels back then either, which sucks because some of the game steels can fetch quite a bit of money now, even some of the ugly ones you mentioned lol. Funny you should mention the District 9 steel too, as that's probably when I realised the steelbook game had become pretty big... I ordered the DVD version rather than the Blu-ray one from HMV (this was before I'd got a BR player), and regretted it later because the BR steel had long sold out and was going for crazy money... I eventually just picked up the German version instead, which is exactly the same thankfully.

Wish I'd done the same as you and sold all my DVD steels back when Blu-ray first came about... although I was determined not to upgrade back then, because I'd spent so much money on buying DVDs that I didn't fancy rebuying them all again... obviously I caved eventually though lol. It's been a while since I actually bothered to look at what DVD steels I have, but the Cloverfield one is definitely a winner! I also quite liked the matching Planet Terror and Death Proof steels... they were pretty rare back in the day. There's another one I remember with some awesome artwork and embossing, but I forget the name of the movie as I only watched it once.

Is the Iron Man one the same as the FS blu-ray steelbook (obviously G1 size rather than G2 though)? I have that somewhere... another one I regretted not upgrading at the time, as the BR steelbook goes for A LOT, as I'm sure you're aware.

I honestly never really see much of a difference when it comes to frame rate on games... I switched between 60 and 30 on TLOU and they both looked more or less the same to me. I've noticed people do that a lot though... they get overexcited about the tiniest graphical improvements, which usually isn't worth the extra £/$ IMO. You guys have confirmed what I kind of assumed anyway, and that upgrading to 4K isn't worth it at the moment, so thanks for all the info... it's appreciated. :thumbs:

P.S. Why OLED? And what are the other options? I'm a serious noob when it comes to all this stuff... if you couldn't tell already. :p

Haha yeah, I already have my eye on tons of Criterions. Money isn't the only issue either... shelf space is a pretty big problem for me, so that's only going to get worse when I do eventually go region free. :ohno:
OLED is made so that the the screen is able to be extemely thin and lightweight while having a picture that leaves other LEDs in the dust. The blacks are unparalleled.
The 65" version from LG I have spent a few weeks with (my folks have one), and it is quite impressive.
The models around the corner, (that have already been at trade shows) will be Centimeters thick, and affix to the wall like a poster. And you can roll it up and move it!
The best early example was at the Bejing Olympics opening ceremony directed by film director Zhang Yimou:
He had 100 of yards of OLED screen scroll out on the field of Bejing National Stadium showing images on the the entire field, and then rolled it up and moved them out for the transition to the next act in the ceremony!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
OLED is an is made so that the the screen is able to be extemely thin and lightweight while having a picture that leaves other LEDs in the dust. The blacks are unparalleled.
The 65" version from LG I have spent a few weeks with (my folks have one), and it is quite impressive.
The models around the corner, (that have already been at trade shows) will be Centimeters thick, and affix to the wall like a poster. And you can roll it up and move it!
The best early example was at the Bejing Olympics opening ceremony directed by film director Zhang Yimou:
He had 100 of yards of OLED screen scroll out on the field of Bejing National Stadium showing images on the the entire field, and then rolled it up and moved them out for the transition to the next act in the ceremony!

Glad to hear you find the LG one impressive... they're who I usually go for when it comes to TVs, as I've never had a problem with them (unlike others). Doubt I'll ever go as big as 65" though (I'm even worried about going as big as 40" - that's what she said yada yada :p), mostly because I can't afford it, but also because I only sit a few feet away from my TV, so a screen that big would probably strain my neck. :hurting:

Damn, that's incredible! Pretty sure I've seen that footage before actually, but I assumed it was projected somehow. The fact you can roll it up without losing picture quality, and the screen obviously not cracking, is mind bending (no pun intended). :OMG:

Reactions: C.C. 95
Glad to hear you find the LG one impressive... they're who I usually go for when it comes to TVs, as I've never had a problem with them (unlike others). Doubt I'll ever go as big as 65" though (I'm even worried about going as big as 40" - that's what she said yada yada :p), mostly because I can't afford it, but also because I only sit a few feet away from my TV, so a screen that big would probably strain my neck. :hurting:

Damn, that's incredible! Pretty sure I've seen that footage before actually, but I assumed it was projected somehow. The fact you can roll it up without losing picture quality, and the screen obviously not cracking, is mind bending (no pun intended). :OMG:
:thumbs:
This looks like a perfect size for you!
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1478782911

• Thanks
That's incredible! Still can't get my head around how a TV so thin even works, let alone manages to produce amazing picture quality.
Really the only point of concern is- "where are all the connections made?!!"
(I'm going to assume a ribbon cable to a control box)
But, boy, if the could also figure a wireless solution...:drool::D

Thanks dude. :thumbs:

There's definitely a lot of inspiration in these threads... some incredible setups on here! Do you have your own thread mate? Would love to see your collection. :)
I don't mate, I've just moved back in to my parent's house for the time being, so my stuff is all over the place lol, when I get my own place I'll sort my collection and setup out and stick it on here:thumbs:.....

• Thanks
Really the only point of concern is- "where are all the connections made?!!"
(I'm going to assume a ribbon cable to a control box)
But, boy, if the could also figure a wireless solution...:drool::D
And the control box is probably the size of a shipping containing. :LOL:

I'm definitely with you on that... I'd be more interested in wireless than 3D and 4K.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I don't mate, I've just moved back in to my parent's house for the time being, so my stuff is all over the place lol, when I get my own place I'll sort my collection and setup out and stick it on here:thumbs:.....
Fair enough bud. Best of luck with finding your own place, and I look forward to seeing your collection! :)