Official PC Thread

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
By Popular demand I have created this thread. Share your tips, tricks, tweaks, shareware, freeware, etc.​

Just like in the Mac thread IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO POST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

My Windows Machine running Mac OSX..

mac3.png

mac2.png

mac1z.png

mca4.png

Thats not a PC running OSX,this is

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 162
since this thread is about Internet Explorer 9 ? let me say this, Roxio Creator 2011, the program = Roxio VideoWave will not work. solution is to uninstall IE9

Anyone here a tech wiz. Just fitted new mobo and a gfx card I know works but no joy on Gfx card having to rely on the onboard gfx card which is not that good at running Win 7 64 bit.

Can provide more dtails but can anyone willing to share their knowledge to cure this ? Been building PC's since Windows 3 and before, first time this has happened and I'm stumped :( :angry:

Anyone here a tech wiz. Just fitted new mobo and a gfx card I know works but no joy on Gfx card having to rely on the onboard gfx card which is not that good at running Win 7 64 bit.

Can provide more dtails but can anyone willing to share their knowledge to cure this ? Been building PC's since Windows 3 and before, first time this has happened and I'm stumped :( :angry:

I custom build and mod PC's and can do magic with a network. What exactly is it doing. Do you even get post when the video card is inserted? Do you hear the fans on the video card spin up but just get no video? Do you get an error message? Most of the new video cards require extra power and take either 1 or 2, 6 pin plugs to power them. What kind of video card do you have. What video card or onboard graphics card did you have before?

Last edited:
What kind of mobo is it? I am wondering if it's the slot that you are putting the card in. Is it a PCI-E slot?

Id double check to see if the card requires extra power like Acid just mentioned above.

I'll fill you in on all details by PM tomorrow, but have to check the BIOS once more as new fangled UEFI type.

Both Gfx cards work. XFX Radeon HD6950's previously in Crossfire mode on 3 24" screens. Use 2600K at stock with 16Gb RAM 4x4Gb Mushkin kit. Overclocked both cards to 6970 spec then reverted them. Both work fine with 2600K and on newer PC although only run 620w PSU as opposed to 850w in other only running a 2500K again at stock speed. All extra cables plugged in .

Last edited:
I'll fill you in on all details by PM tomorrow, but have to check the BIOS once more as new fangled UEFI type.

Both Gfx cards work. XFX Radeon HD6950's previously in Crossfire mode on 3 24" screens. Use 2600K at stock with 16Gb RAM 4x4Gb Mushkin kit. Overclocked both cards to 6970 spec then reverted them. Both work fine with 2600K and on newer PC although only run 620w PSU as opposed to 850w in other only running a 2500K again at stock speed. All extra cables plugged in .

Run your system specs through THIS calculator and see if you have enough power for your system.

Nah there's plenty of juice, it's a decent Enermax 620 PSU runs my 2600k no bother even tho it shouldn't and that has an 850 in it. I've RMA'd motherboard with the supplier and I'll get a new mobo instead.

Reactions: Bluprint
So I am considering a new PC in a few months to replace my 4 year old HP DV6T. I do have a 2 year old Envy 15 that runs fine but generally like have 2 laptops in case one goes on the fritz a few days while I repair it. The old one is just overheating and crashes a bit too much lately.

So, outside of getting a Mac which I may do this is my question. I will figure out the brand and general specs on my own, but in terms of the hard drive I really don't want to go for anything other than a SSD any longer. The Envy has a SSD and OMG what a difference. Should I buy a PC with a regular HD and get a Samsung 1tb EVO SSD drive and swap the HD out myself or should I get the laptop already with the SSD in it. The obvious issue is that most companies do not yet offer a 1tb SSD.

For example the Dell XPS 15 has 2 very similar versions one with a 1TB hard drive for ~$2000 and one with a 512 GB SSD for around $2400. The thing is the Samsung 1TB SSD is only $400 so for approximately the same price I get double the SSD storage. However I have never installed a new hard drive into a computer. I am not sure how that affects the operating system and getting it and all of the programs loaded onto the new hard drive. Once I create a backup can I just swap the hard drives and load windows. Are there any issues to be aware of.

I am fairly tech savy, to the point of the physical aspect of putting in a SSD is not a concern just the act of getting the operating system up and running. I assume there would be no comparability issues with the hard ware.

Any advice?

@AcIDc0r3

Reactions: Lone Crusader