Official PC Thread

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
By Popular demand I have created this thread. Share your tips, tricks, tweaks, shareware, freeware, etc.​

Just like in the Mac thread IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO POST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

@mllNY Personally Mike I would get a laptop with a small standard HDD to save you money and then upgrade it to 1tb SSD, preferably the EVO, there very nice. In terms of CPU, don't go with an AMD, get an Intel, preferably one with a Core i7. As for migrating over your OS, I've never had a completely successful transfer. I mean it transferred OK but later on I started having issues with the OS crashing and weird ****. The software to transfer over your OS is only a little less than if you were to go ahead and purchase an OEM edition of Win7 or Win8.1 Home Premium. I think there like around $110 or somewhere around there. A clean install of one of those OS' would be your best bet.

Reactions: mllNY
Yeah, that's what I am leaning on; both laptops I have are i7s so no going anywhere from there but my fan is loud and the laptop is exceedingly hot, not really slow though, I mean the thing probably loads faster than newer laptops

I mean I would not upgrade the HD in the configured laptop but most already come with 750 GB to 1 TB HD anyway. I guess I should factor in the cost of windows into the new PC then, cause i think I am better off getting a computer with a HD and putting in my own SSD. Have you experienced any issues with compatability of the hardware when replacing any hard drives?

Nope no issues as far as hardware incompatibilities. Most laptop HDD run at 5400rpm and that's just so slow. If you do go with an SSD, I wouldn't go with anything other than Samsung for the simple fact that they make there own controller card and it's very reliable too. Make sure that you get an SSD that has a SATA III bus speed and try and get a laptop that also is SATA III capable. There backwards compatible so it's not a big deal if your new laptop only has a SATA II bus speed and your SSD has a SATA III bus speed. SATA III will transfer data data through the BUS 4x as fast as SATA II.

@mllNY

@AcIDc0r3 good to know on the laptop being SATA III compatible. I was looking at that Samdung EVO 840 or 850 so I think thise are SATA III

Those SSDs load incredibly faster, I mean the 2 year old laptop (my first SSD laptop) seems to have not slowed down at all and never even gets hot, that said I do use the older PC a bit more

also where can i check if the computer is sata III compatible

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Crusader
SSD = No moving parts. = waaay less on heat issues, in fact almost none at all. The only time I've had one rise slightly in temp was when I was copying over 500gb of data in one go. Your computer will run much more efficiently with one.

yeah that's the one I am looking at, I wonder if I should just get it and test it out on this laptop, might just be what I need

@AcIDc0r3 would you consider just throwing the 1tb in the dv6t. Will that help with the overheating and the noisy fan or am I better off starting anew. I mean the dv6t does have an i7 and some other good components in it

@AcIDc0r3 would you consider just throwing the 1tb in the dv6t. Will that help with the overheating and the noisy fan or am I better off starting anew. I mean the dv6t does have an i7 and some other good components in it
I would go new on that, the new i7's are Haswell chips and are much more efficient, cooler, and use less power too.

Reactions: mllNY
got components for new pc yesterday. checking them out and going to start building it...have to be careful not to spill beer on them...

:rofl: