One Million Years B.C. (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: January 16th, 2017
Purchase link: One Million Years B.C. (live Sunday 16th October at 18:00 BST)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited 2,000
11350977-1274428306970911.JPG

11350977-7404428307131279.JPG

11350977-1134428307080657.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two selling points for this movie: Raquel Welch and the stop-motion creature animation by the legendary Ray Harryhausen. CGI will never wield the kind of organic magic that Harryhausen's animation had.
I always understood Raquel Welch herself to be the two selling points of the movie and the Harryhausen stop motion creatures the third selling point.

• Thanks
Reactions: adarkcorner
Good to see this will get a steelbook release not sure about the artwork would have liked a movie poster, would like more colour on the actresses and Dinos, seems to be that way on the UK Amaray too but that has better artwork.

I remember watching this as a young one it was on tv a lot, it's one of those movies where there is some caveman language and grunts. :LOL: Raquel Welch :drool: a classic stunner even ages well, I remember Racquel's interview she wasn't sure about doing this movie as it had dinosaurs but did it reluctantly for contract reasons. She thought it would be soon forgotten about, she said the movie made her a star and sex symbol which she wasn't expecting.

It was funny how people would ask who is the girl the poster from Shawshank Redemption too, people used to ask online as well. :LOL: I enjoy the stop motion effects of Ray Harryhausen and always will, worth watching for that too.

God, I loved this movie when I was a kid. A local TV station used to play it two or three Saturday afternoons a year, and I'd watch it every time it came on (this was the mid-to-late 70s, before most people had home video recorders--damn, I feel so old :LOL:). A few years ago I watched it for the first time in decades, and although the movie's pretty bad, it really made me feel like a kid again. I'll definitely be buying this steelbook for nostalgic purposes.
Right on, brother! Love that this is a steel! Day one purchase for me.

Now they can put their attention toward DINOSAURUS

Not really a classic warranting the steelbook treatment

Still doesn't warrant a steelbook...

That's not my point, zavvi are in bed with canal+ & the amount of poor titles and sub standard steels is only likely to increase..
Besides how many people on these forums beside you & me have actually seen this film? I don't hear "it will be mine-omg that steel is awesome on this page, & bear in mind the lion king is out the same weekend

What happened to dead man's shoes?
Why the piss poor run on It?
Why are the tv Steels so far & few between?

At least two thirds of the zavvi catalogue I could do without & have done...

Butthurt detected....

Yes, quite dark steelbook and Amaray artwork seems to be the thing with these Hammer classics and although very few have been released in steelbooks apart from "One Million Years" - just two "Quatermass" and "Dracula: Prince of Darkness" as far as I can recall - those are pretty dark too.
Whether the other Studiocanal Hammer films in the collection will ever get steelbooks releases - She, The Nanny, The Plague Of The Zombies, Rasputin The Mad Monk, The Reptile, The Witches, The Viking Queen, Frankenstein Created Woman, The Vengeance Of She, The Devil Rides Out, Prehistoric Women, Scars Of Dracula, The Horror Frankenstein, Blood From The Mummy’s Tomb, Straight On Till Morning, Fear In The Night, Demons Of The Mind, To The Devil A Daughter - who knows . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

I can see The Devil Rides Out from that list getting the steelbook treatment but most of the others have not had a blu-ray release in the UK and the constant poor restoration of Hammer films doesn't help either. I've had to buy the German blu-rays because of the various problems plaguing the UK releases.

I don't know about the German Blu-rays but I believe that each one of the Studiocanal Hammer horror films have been restored prior to release including this new one "One Million Years BC" and that's one of the reasons why only about 8 out of about 20 from the SC Hammer stable have been released to date.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16629619
As can be seen interesting classic Amaray slipcover artwork in a matching style and all on dark backgrounds like the steelbook releases.
upload_2016-10-15_23-9-48.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-10-37.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-11-26.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-12-14.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-14-13.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-15-11.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-16-28.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-33-48.png

upload_2016-10-15_23-27-12.png
upload_2016-10-15_23-35-20.jpeg

Of course other Hammer films have already been released in Amarays by other studios but those do not come with slipcovers.
I'm not including "Quatermass and the Pit" here because for me this fits into a different Studiocanal collection - the dated spine Vintage Classics collection.

Last edited:
But they have been plagued by various issues particular sound problems. The German pressing while expensive are worth it because they correct all the problems but import all the extras over from the various UK labels and are 100% English friendly and you get some nice surprises. For example the German Quatermass and the Pit has a genuine stereo soundtrack which is not on on the UK release. And if you want the 5.1 dolby digital soundtrack you have to buy the laserdisc.

Print run is 2,000
580x384-z-wk41-jb-weekend-steelbook-bc-exclusive-051831.jpg
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C STEELBOOK

One Million Years B.C. - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray

Limited to just 2000 copies!

Last edited: