Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

The Steelbook copies I buy replace the normal copies I have. For example, when I picked up the Steelbook Blu-ray of Monsters Inc, I sold my DVD copy of it. When I picked up Wall-E on Steelbook Blu-ray, I sold my normal Blu-ray copy.

I open them up and watch them. I'm just careful when I open them, and put the case onto a smooth surface.

At some point, I'll address the issues with # of slots vs # of discs, but I figure if I'm buying a movie, I watch it and enjoy it. It does nothing sitting on my shelf sealed.

very seldom do I open any. Really just depends, I got alot of the amarays so no point in opening. If some arent worth much (collector value) and I bought it for the artwork then I'll open it. The majority of mine are not open though, maybe 5-7 out of 45 are.

I've opened all of mine. I'm not sure what point there would be to me on owning a movie and never watching it.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

And since I'm on here, how does everyone fit that avatar picture on here and such? I see all kinds of things that people are able to add to their postings.

I've opened all of mine. I'm not sure what point there would be to me on owning a movie and never watching it.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

And since I'm on here, how does everyone fit that avatar picture on here and such? I see all kinds of things that people are able to add to their postings.

I use photobucket. You can upload a picture and then they provide you with a img code that you can post on forums.

just save the pic you want to use to your cpu ... then go to your user control panel and then click on edit avatar on the left, then just browse on your cpu and upload it so you dont have to go about signing up for any photobuckets or tinyurl sites.

I have three closed. All three POTC films and forever they will remain closed. the rest are open.

I happily have 9. So six are open, do to me not hiving them.

Hoping to get some more steelbooks soon.

RI

Last edited:
I keep most sealed, but really shouldnt ... *Sigh* just opened my District 9 only to have a decent sized dent behind the paper.

I keep most sealed, but really shouldnt ... *Sigh* just opened my District 9 only to have a decent sized dent behind the paper.

That really sucks! I figure the only reason not to open them is if your looking to make a profit down the road. But I'm a buyer only. And with the money I spent, they aren't going to sit on a shelf forever. I'm going to enjoy them!:p

Reactions: hatredhorror
I just like how pretty they are in their original plastic lol

I go through some lengths to get them sometimes. By the time I get them I already have the amaray so no need to open it.

I just like how pretty they are in their original plastic lol

I go through some lengths to get them sometimes. By the time I get them I already have the amaray so no need to open it.

Ya, I know what you mean. But with therapy, I've learned to wait for the steelbook and not buy duplicates. Then they put it in a beautiful lenticular sleeve, and I'm screwed!:angry:

I have 85 or so, and most are sealed, but only because I have not had a chance to watch them yet. I will open them, because I like to actually feel what I purchase, as well as look at any inside art, etc, if there is any. I use sleeves to protect them, and I do wish there was a sturdier way to protect them. Sounds a little crazy, but I asked the staff at Hollywood video if they'd sell me the security removal mechanism and some clear hard cases, when they were going out of business. They would not (I could use it to open cases at stores, though I had no interest in doing so, obviously). I hate when there was flaws, but I am not keeping them sealed, just "safe":)

Hey DB I can't recall the exact thread over at Blu-ray.com, but Jw posted pictures of similar plastic boxes for movies. He posted a picture with the Iron Man SB. He posted the exact model and make I believe. You might want to ask him. I can't remember the exact thread otherwise I would post it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab