Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Here are 3 reasons for me

I like to have 1 to open 1 to keep sealed.

Also I'm sure this title will sell out so I don't want to take the chance to have zavvi deliver one with dents (has already happened twice) and not be able to get a replacement without paying more on ebay

Lastly I order 2 of all the big titles from Disney/Pixar/Marvel (when I have the money available), they tend to have trade value.

Just out of curiosity why do you like to have 1 opened and 1 sealed? I see a lot of ninjas say this and keep meaning to ask them

I'll repeat what I said in the Avengers thread before @Apollon redirected me here...

This really annoys me... People buying multiple copies of a steelbook and just keeping it sealed, so someone else who really wants it will probably miss out or have to pay close to double on ebay. Keeping it sealed and just looking at the outside is pretty lame. In a few years the steel will be worth nothing anyway, like the DVD ones, so let someone else enjoy it too.... It's not as bad when there is 3,000 or 4,000 copies, but when it's ~300, (for Kimchi etc.) damn.... each to their own I suppose, end of the day they're paying double, but I do find those people annoying and selfish....

I'll repeat what I said in the Avengers thread before @Apollon redirected me here...

This really annoys me... People buying multiple copies of a steelbook and just keeping it sealed, so someone else who really wants it will probably miss out or have to pay close to double on ebay. Keeping it sealed and just looking at the outside is pretty lame. In a few years the steel will be worth nothing anyway, like the DVD ones, so let someone else enjoy it too.... It's not as bad when there is 3,000 or 4,000 copies, but when it's ~300, (for Kimchi etc.) damn.... each to their own I suppose, end of the day they're paying double, but I do find those people annoying and selfish....
We are all different types of collectors, some people like to open and others like to keep sealed. There is no right or wrong way to collecting. I don't think people are selfish if they want to keep Steelbooks sealed. A lot of the value is retained when Steelbooks remain sealed and with the print runs being so low a lot of people don't want to open these steels. Each to there own.

We are all different types of collectors, some people like to open and others like to keep sealed. There is no right or wrong way to collecting. I don't think people are selfish if they want to keep Steelbooks sealed. A lot of the value is retained when Steelbooks remain sealed and with the print runs being so low a lot of people don't want to open these steels. Each to there own.
Yup, each to their own as you say... I bet if I could afford 2 copies of everything and had time to jump straight on pre-order at launch time, then I'd think differently.
But with my limited storage space and the fact I NEED to open every one that I get (like a kid at Christmas) I stick to one and open it... and try to keep it as mint as possible :thumbs:

Reactions: Sigill
The only reason to keep a steelbook sealed is to retain value for sale/trading.

If you're retaining value then you're not collecting steels; you're collecting stock.

This makes you no better than the guys on eBay selling copies of Iron Man BF for £90.

IMO, of course.

Reactions: C.C. 95 and keyjey
i've been 'open and watch' till recently.

I have some semi-rare steels like IM1, IM2, plain archive etc.

and now begun to wonder should I open them ... ever. but I have bought them to be watched, not to be sold (do not have duplicate copies)

so. on the fence and quite angry at myself about that.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Actarus

yep we are so annoying and selfish us collectors we all know that lol

i've been 'open and watch' till recently.

I have some semi-rare steels like IM1, IM2, plain archive etc.

and now begun to wonder should I open them ... ever. but I have bought them to be watched, not to be sold (do not have duplicate copies)

so. on the fence and quite angry at myself about that.

I keep Kimchi and Blufans steels sealed. I buy a cheap Amaray version on Ebay or the like to watch the films they release. ;)

Reactions: Agent_DVD

If you're retaining value then you're not collecting steels; you're collecting stock.

This makes you no better than the guys on eBay selling copies of Iron Man BF for £90.

IMO, of course.
There are other reasons to keep Steelbooks sealed. A lot of collectors like to keep items in sealed mint condition. That doesn't mean they want to sell it, this is the same with a lot of other collecting hobbies. People also sometimes have copies of the movie already so don't need to open them. They are still steelbook collectors. Everyone is free to collect how they wish.:)

This really annoys me... People buying multiple copies of a steelbook and just keeping it sealed, so someone else who really wants it will probably miss out or have to pay close to double on ebay. Keeping it sealed and just looking at the outside is pretty lame. In a few years the steel will be worth nothing anyway, like the DVD ones, so let someone else enjoy it too.... It's not as bad when there is 3,000 or 4,000 copies, but when it's ~300, (for Kimchi etc.) damn.... each to their own I suppose, end of the day they're paying double, but I do find those people annoying and selfish.... anyway, rant over.

Wow, that's a bit HARSH don't you think?? :dunno: There is NOTHING wrong with buying 2 copies of a steelbook! Especially if it is true beauty. I have 2 copies (1 open, 1 sealed) of many steels. I feel it's when you start buying 3 or more that's when it starts getting into either the "hoarding" phase or....you're a seller. Which either way should have NO burden on you since we are all given the SAME info (release date AND time) so we all have a fair shot.

And by the way, if all these steelbooks aren't going to be worth anything in the future, then why are you even wasting your time in the first place?? :facepalm:

Reactions: Agent_DVD

Doesn't matter what you collect, it has always been like this. You get the ones who open everything, the ones who select what they open and what stays sealed, and the ones who keep everything sealed. The latter two groups are more likely to double dip / pick up multiple copies from time to time and are a big part of the hobby (if not the bigger part) and so I never understand why they get so much abuse all the time for spending their hard earned how they choose to.

I pretty much fall into the latter group. I used to buy multiples more regularly but then started going for complete exclusive sets mostly from Asian retailers. These have a fairly premium price associated with them from the start and so I decided not to buy multiples much anymore. But I still keep them sealed as that is my preference. I don't do it to wind you or anyone else up but I still get negative comments when I post about how I collect and when I post pictures of more than 1 copy.

Fortunately there are also loads of really positive collectors on here who can see past the individual preference (whether they agree or not) and they can appreciate the other peoples way of thinking / choices they make.

We are all here for the love of the same thing. If we all did it the same then it would be pretty boring and we'd have nothing to talk about because we'd all know what everyone was doing already anyway. Don't let it bug you that I or someone else might have something that you want but missed out on. One day you might have the chance to buy 2 copies of something and then trade the spare straight away for that item you want, without paying double the price. Lots of collectors do it. If you don't then you will end up paying more than you want or not having what you want.

Yup, each to their own as you say... I bet if I could afford 2 copies of everything and had time to jump straight on pre-order at launch time, then I'd think differently.
But with my limited storage space and the fact I NEED to open every one that I get (like a kid at Christmas) I stick to one and open it... and try to keep it as mint as possible :thumbs:

Interesting that you then go on to say that if you could afford to then you would probably do the same as me (and others) anyway. Does it stop being selfish and annoying if you can afford it?

IMO, of course.

Some of those guys selling copies of IM BF for £90 on ebay (for example) have also contributed to making the hobby what it is today. Yes, there are those who profit from collectors, but this is the world we live in. Try collecting most other things and it's the same.

We can't all be tarred with the same brush just because some prefer to leave the shrink wrap on, surely?

well guys there is lots of good points on this thread wether u buy to keep or sell on its upto yourselves
ive always bought steelbooks to watch and keep myself , i have lots of sealed steels due to not watching yet but recently ive lost the love slightly on buy/collecting steelbooks and for this reason have sold quite a few in the last month but i originaly didnt buy to sell
so from now on ill buy steels to keep and open films that i know ill watch more than once , hence the reason i aint bought many in 2015

Reactions: zoneism
And by the way, if all these steelbooks aren't going to be worth anything in the future, then why are you even wasting your time in the first place??
I'm not particularly picking on DJ IXS, I just wanted to use his quote to mention that some of us (I don't wanna speak for others) couldn't care less what a Steelbook is 'worth' on the market. If I have one that is worth $200- great. Whatever. It's for my pleasure, not my financial future.;)
I'm in it for how much I love the film and how much I love the art and craftsmanship of the Steelbook.
(And a Steelbook collection makes for a very bad financial futures portfolio!):LOL:

I only buy steelbooks for movies I want to watch, I buy one of each, open them, watch them and put them on a shelf. While I like to receive mint-condition ones (as that's what I've paid for), I don't worry too much if they start showing signs of wear after being slid in and out a few times.

I have no issue with those who buy to sell, or want a sealed one to look at and an open one to watch (although part of me thinks you might as well buy one to keep sealed and a cheaper amaray to watch). I admire those who open and watch them but go to the effort of getting protective sleeves to keep them mint.

There's no difference to keeping steelbooks sealed and not opening your Star Wars figures. You've paid your money and you can do what you like with your item.

Sure, it's annoying when something sells out and you have to pay four times the price, but that's the way it is. I've been lucky and got all the ones I'm after (so far) at retail. That said, I don't go for any of the really limited Asian releases etc. I just buy the ones from Zavvi, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de. I think it's easier when you just want 'a steelbook' for your movie, like I do, than 'a specific steelbook'.

I'm not particularly picking on DJ IXS, I just wanted to use his quote to mention that some of us (I don't wanna speak for others) couldn't care less what a Steelbook is 'worth' on the market. If I have one that is worth $200- great. Whatever. It's for my pleasure, not my financial future.;)
I'm in it for how much I love the film and how much I love the art and craftsmanship of the Steelbook.
(And a Steelbook collection makes for a very bad financial futures portfolio!):LOL:

I see your point, but I was actually talking about collecting in general not for FUTURE value. I think paying $60+ for a "premium" steel from Kimchi or Plain Archive just to have it not even be worth what you paid for it a few years later is a total waste.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I see your point, but I was actually talking about collecting in general not for FUTURE value. I think paying $60+ for a "premium" steel from Kimchi or Plain Archive just to have it not even be worth what you paid for it a few years later is a total waste.

But surely collectors collect things to own and keep. Their value is in owning then, not what they may or may not be worth.

I've kept a few VHS tapes. Their 'value' is essentially nothing, good only for land fill. Their value to me is priceless, as it's not just the item, but the memory of getting them and watching them as a child, over and over again. Admiring the covers, discussing them with friends and so on.

Yes, they're worthless to anyone else, and monetarily, but for me, that's not the point.

It is entirely dependant on your life situation - OPEN if i could afford to open/enjoy/watch film. SEALED for a film i already have but appreciate the value, only to be sold on a rainy day.

We all have our reasons, there is no right or wrong answer to this question, either way enjoy the quality steels out there.

Reactions: digitalbabe
I use to not care about opening my steels or keep them sealed. Now I find myself wanting to keep some sealed. I'm having a hard time keeping my Iron Man Kimchi and blufans sealed but the other part of me wants to open them. I already got the amarays or the best buy steels open but I'm going to have a hard time keeping these blufans of thor and Captain America sealed also. Also my Terminator steelbooks are hard to keep sealed. Lol idk I just have certain steelbooks that I don't want to open. Mainly movies I don't already own when that steelbook comes in. I wonder though if steelbooks mint that we keep in polybags and clear slip cases that are mint could be worth more or close to the same as sealed ones?

I use to not care about opening my steels or keep them sealed. Now I find myself wanting to keep some sealed. I'm having a hard time keeping my Iron Man Kimchi and blufans sealed but the other part of me wants to open them. I already got the amarays or the best buy steels open but I'm going to have a hard time keeping these blufans of thor and Captain America sealed also. Also my Terminator steelbooks are hard to keep sealed. Lol idk I just have certain steelbooks that I don't want to open. Mainly movies I don't already own when that steelbook comes in. I wonder though if steelbooks mint that we keep in polybags and clear slip cases that are mint could be worth more or close to the same as sealed ones?
People will always pay a premium for sealed steelbooks. A mint steelbook still holds value but not as much as a sealed one will do.

I think the moral of this thread is we need @Actarus to post some pics of his next opened Asian steel... :) you know you want to!

I don't think I'm regretting opening my steels. But I definitely go the extra step to protect the open steels, especially full slips.

Here's my process: I take a poly bag, trim it to the point where I can fold the edges down and put a little piece of tape on each edge. This allows me to protect the steelbook from the little scratches that they get when you take the steel out of the slip.

I have first hand experience with kimchi pianist getting these crazy scratches because of the glossy finish. So I had to come up with something ;P the trimmed poly bag acts like the original tight shrink wrap.

Below are the pics. You might ask why not just leave it sealed then? That's a valid question honestly, and I've asked myself that too. However, every steelbook I buy, I watch it. Also, after a long day at work or if I'm bored, I like to open them up and look at the contents, booklet, cards, artwork, etc. After all that is why I collect these, to enjoy them.

I guess you can call me crazy, but every release I grab my scissors, tape, poly bag, SCF2, and white gloves and I go to town. I'm far less ocd then I was a year ago. If I open a steel and it has some paint chips, fine. But I'll be damned if I'll scratch up the steel by just removing it from the slip case Lol. I'm not sure if anyone else does this too, but it works for lenticular and full slips...:)

full
full
full