OPPO Shutting Down...

ash333

s'Mod
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Mar 3, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

That is surprising, I’ve never had one myself but I’ve heard nothing but great things about OPPO machines. They have always been more expensive but had a lot of fans. This is sad news.

Stunned. What the hell?!
I just bought another 203 today for a backup...somehow I think all of a sudden retailers will inflate the price.
This is sad news.

I have planned to buy my 1st 4k player in May and it was going to be one of these babies. Looks like it'll have to be the Panasonic now.

When reading their full on press release. It appears nothing is changing except they aren't doing anymore R&D/producing of new products. Cause they will continue to sell, and continue to support it says. And maybe the latter is to help prevent any legal issues as they slowly close. But alas no new products going forward is a shame. Perhaps they know of other competitors or the big boys can do what they do cheaper to the point of forcing them out of the marketplace either now (so it seems) or of whats to come.

Great quality product built like a tank tho.

But if they are ceasing to produce any more, no point in buying one regardless how good they are. It's a shame but at the end of the day I was going to buy one in May but I'll now have to turn my attention to other makers.

But if they are ceasing to produce any more, no point in buying one regardless how good they are. It's a shame but at the end of the day I was going to buy one in May but I'll now have to turn my attention to other makers.

Why? Anytime I have ever bought any MAJOR manufacturer they have done diddly squat when something goes wrong. If you are outside manufacturer warranty your **** out of lucky anyhow.

I can attest they are built like tanks and almost like custom cpus in that a person can take them apart as people sell mods and such (hence my region free one) on ebay and likely pieces wouldnt be that hard to find. You'd have to have the equivalent lemon of a car to get a bad one from oppo that craps out in less than a year.

If anything I think the only reason to look elsewhere is if wanting to sacrifice some build quality for a cheaper alternative.

Funny tho i make that comment about "the future" and today I receive a press release for Warner's 15:17 to Paris and its not releasing on UHD its releasing on 4k digital only. I understand not all titles would get a 4k release but despite not doing as well in the box office I would have suspected this one to get it.

well oddly enough the press release said that but i see a 4k release on amazon.com now. *shrug*

That would be a big mistake. They will have their last inventory coming in in June.
They will continue firmware updates for the next two years. (They have always been hands down the greatest, most user friendly company). But honestly, I don't really see anything on the horizon that would really warrant a need for an update. (They have already finished the Sony Low latency DolbyVision update dor Sony TVs - and I don't see what else could possibly crop up that would need an update.)
There is absolutely no player that does what this machine does. To call it simply a UHD Blu ray player is majorly simplifying what this machine does and has under the hood.
I gave a 203 as a gift to friend who has a 720p Plasma (!)- and he was floored by how his DVDs and Blu rays looked.
It actually makes your DVDs look like 1080p Blu rays. That alone is worth it.
(Since there are thousands of titles on DVD that will never be on Blu ray and will never be on a streaming service.)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: larson1977
Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
I was sad to hear this as well. I love mine. But sadly, this is the nature of many tech cycles and marketplace consolidation. :(

well oddly enough the press release said that but i see a 4k release on amazon.com now. *shrug*
and now that listing is temporarily not allowed to be ordered. Perhaps there will be no 4k uhd (disc) release of that movie afterall.

Damn it looks like I may have waited too long. I was going to get the 4K one next march but it looks like I won't be doing that now. :grumpy:
The last shipment of new 203s and 205s will be delivered to OPPO in June.
There is plenty of time to still get one. (No harm in getting one before you are 4K ready with the other equipment).

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Actarus and tridon