DigiPack Orson Welles - Shakespeare 'Coffret Collector' (1948 - 1952) (Blu-ray DigiPack) [France]

augustus

Premium Supporter
Dec 7, 2013
Southsea UK
Release date: 5th November, 2014
Purchase link: Amazon FR
Price: EUR 39.99

BD1: MACBETH (1948 version) (119 min)
BD2: MACBETH (1950 version) (85 min)
BD3: OTHELLO (1992 restoration) (93 min)
DVD: Shakespeare and Orson Welles (1975 documentary) (53 min)

71zBZHl+Z1L._SY679_.jpg

91bHLwCCIkL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PunkNinja
Further set of images, thanks to pro-bassoonist at BD Forum, who has also provided a comprehensive and informative review that is well worth reading.

image.jpg

10895_33.jpg

10895_36.jpg

For aficionados of both Shakespeare and Welles (@C.C. 95), this is an essential purchase, as both films have never looked better than they do here.

Unfortunately, this set doesn't include the recent remastering of Welles' Shakespearean masterpiece "Chimes at Midnight" aka "Falstaff" (1965). I'm holding out for a future French release of that title by Carlotta, since the UK release is of poor quality and contains no bonus material, whilst the Spanish release is a BD-R!

This French edition of "Macbeth" and "Othello" can also be obtained from amazon.es at a lower price (EUR 32.32) than that being charged by amazon.fr (EUR 39.99). Worth considering if you're interested in obtaining it.

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00MBXKK6S/?tag=hidefnin03-21

Last edited:
Further set of images, thanks to pro-bassoonist at BD Forum, who has also provided a comprehensive and informative review that is well worth reading.

View attachment 190067

View attachment 190068

View attachment 190069

For aficionados of both Shakespeare and Welles (@C.C. 95), this is an essential purchase, as both films have never looked better than they do here.

Unfortunately, this set doesn't include the recent remastering of Welles' Shakespearean masterpiece "Chimes at Midnight" aka "Falstaff" (1965). I'm holding out for a future French release of that title by Carlotta, since the UK release is of poor quality and contains no bonus material, whilst the Spanish release is a BD-R!

This French edition of "Macbeth" and "Othello" can also be obtained from amazon.es at a lower price (EUR 32.32) than that being charged by amazon.fr (EUR 39.99). Worth considering if you're interested in obtaining it.

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00MBXKK6S/?tag=hidefnin03-21
Thanks @augustus! Holy moly! WOW. I had no idea about this one! (Chasing steelbooks, I often overlook regular blu ray releases sometimes...). It seems SO weird that putting together this package they miss FALSTAFF/CHIMES since most Welles aficianados consider it not only his best Shakespeare, but his best period! Thanks for the tip on pricing. (I really chose a BAD day to start collecting Statues again...my poor wallet is taking a beating today!!!):bored:

Reactions: augustus
Thanks @augustus! Holy moly! WOW. I had no idea about this one! (Chasing steelbooks, I often overlook regular blu ray releases sometimes...). It seems SO weird that putting together this package they miss FALSTAFF/CHIMES since most Welles aficianados consider it not only his best Shakespeare, but his best period! Thanks for the tip on pricing. (I really chose a BAD day to start collecting Statues again...my poor wallet is taking a beating today!!!):bored:

@C.C. 95

I came across this edition recently whilst browsing the net. I liked the look of it, so did some research and found the glowing review on BD Forum. Check it out.

According to the review, although stated to be Region B, the discs are in fact Region ABC (free). The French sub-titles are also optional and can be turned off.

The set had been out of stock for a while at Amazon and the resellers had upped their prices accordingly (EUR 50+), so I held off, hoping that it hadn't gone out of print. Fortunately, it came back into stock a couple of days ago, so I got my order in from amazon.es, having checked which of Amazon's sites had the lowest price. I should have it in my possession by this Thursday and I'm really looking forward to revisiting these films.

Given the marvellous job they've done here, I'm really hoping that Carlotta Films have a future release planned of "Chimes at Midnight" (1965). A while back, when we were having that discourse on Shakespeare on film, I actually went through my collection and listed all those that I possessed on Blu-ray or DVD. I then went through the list and whittled it down to my favourite top 10, and it was 'Chimes' that made my number 1 spot, against some fairly stiff competition from the likes of Laurence Olivier and Franco Zeffirelli!

One anecdote that has always made me wonder how it would have turned out, had it actually taken place, concerns Olivier's film adaptation of "Richard III" (1955). When Olivier was casting his production, his first choice for the role of Buckingham was Welles! Unfortunately for posterity, Ralph Richardson, who was a friend of Olivier's, got in first and asked if he could have the part. Olivier felt obliged to acquiesce and the rest, as they say, is history. Surely, one of the great 'What Ifs?' Can you imagine the sparks that would have ensued with those two Shakespearean giants playing off each other?

On the subject of "Macbeth", I'm looking forward to seeing the new film with Michael Fassbender in the title role, which opens in the UK next Friday. Unusually for a new Shakespeare film, it looks to be a traditional production, so I'll be interested to compare it, not only to the Orson Welles adaptation, but also the 1971 version from Roman Polanski.

Last edited:
@C.C. 95

I came across this edition recently whilst browsing the net. I liked the look of it, so did some research and found the glowing review on BD Forum. Check it out.

According to the review, although stated to be Region B, the discs are in fact Region ABC (free). The French sub-titles are also optional and can be turned off.

The set had been out of stock for a while at Amazon and the resellers had upped their prices accordingly (EUR 50+), so I held off, hoping that it hadn't gone out of print. Fortunately, it came back into stock a couple of days ago, so I got my order in from amazon.es, having checked which of Amazon's sites had the lowest price. I should have it in my possession by this Thursday and I'm really looking forward to revisiting these films.

Given the marvellous job they've done here, I'm really hoping that Carlotta Films have a future release planned of "Chimes at Midnight". A while back, when we were having that discourse on Shakespeare on film, I actually went through my collection and listed all those that I possessed on Blu-ray or DVD. I then went through the list and whittled it down to my favourite top 10, and it was Chimes that made my number 1 spot, against some fairly stiff competition from the likes of Laurence Olivier and Franco Zeffirelli!

One anecdote that has always made me wonder how it would have turned out, had it actually taken place, concerns Olivier's film adaptation of "Richard III" (1955). When Olivier was casting his production, his first choice for the role of Buckingham was Welles! Unfortunately for posterity, Ralph Richardson, who was a friend of Olivier's, got in first and asked if he could have the part. Olivier felt obliged to acquiesce and the rest, as they say, is history. Surely, one of the great 'What Ifs?' Can you imagine the sparks that would have ensued with those two Shakespearean giants playing off each other?

On the subject of "Macbeth", I'm looking forward to seeing the new film with Michael Fassbender in the title role, which opens in the UK next Friday. Unusually for a new Shakespeare film, it looks to be a traditional production, so I'll be interested to compare it to not only the Orson Welles adaptation, but also the 1971 version from Roman Polanski.
Agree that Welles and Olivier would have been something to see! Also curious about the new one, and also the possible Scorsese/Branagh (if that happens. I haven't checked up on that.)
My only problem with Macbeth is- when it is done badly, it is a beast. (Bad regional theater can kill Macbeth!!!).
If you don't have access to Branaghs NTlive version, I can set you up!!:thumbs: (It was simulcast on Television at one point- so it IS available.;)) -It is great. He made some great surprising choices.

Agree that Welles and Olivier would have been something to see! Also curious about the new one, and also the possible Scorsese/Branagh (if that happens. I haven't checked up on that.)
My only problem with Macbeth is- when it is done badly, it is a beast. (Bad regional theater can kill Macbeth!!!).
If you don't have access to Branaghs NTlive version, I can set you up!!:thumbs: (It was simulcast on Television at one point- so it IS available.;)) -It is great. He made some great surprising choices.

Call me a purist, but when you see the Scottish Play performed 'off-broadway' by a bunch of 'actors'
either doing very, VERY bad Scots accents, or heavily intoned Bronx, it kind of kills it stone dead before you even get half way through the first act :)

Come to that, even done by Brits, the modern 're-telling' for want of a better phrase of the total hash that results, is about as welcome as a plate of rat's vomit in aspic.

Shakespeare should be done properly or not at all. The last near perfect performances I saw live were the back to back performances of Richard II and III by Derek Jacobi some years ago. Derek was easily worth a Knighthood for those performances alone.

Welles and Olivier - quiet apart from the massive talent quotient, with two egos and opinions like that, in the same room for more than five minutes, there would have been blood.

Sits back and waits for the hate posts from the inflamed of North America, etc :naughty: :)

ed. typo.

Last edited:
Call me a purist, but when you see the Scottish Play performed 'off-broadway' by a bunch of 'actors'
either doing very, VERY bad Scots accents, or heavily intoned Bronx, it kind of kills it stone dead before you even get half way through the first act :)

Come to that, even done by Brits, the modern 're-telling' for want of a better phrase of the total hash that results, is about as welcome as a plate of rat's vomit in aspic.

Shakespeare should be done properly or not at all. The last near perfect performances I saw live were the back to back performances of Richard II and III by Derek Jacobi some years ago. Derek was easily worth a Knighthood for those performances alone.

Welles and Olivier - quiet apart from the massive talent quotient, with two egos and opinions like that, in the same room for more than five minutes, there would have been blood.

Sits back and waits for the hate posts from the inflamed of North America, etc :naughty: :)

ed. typo.
What was in your post to inflame N. Americans? Where you slagging Welles a bit there? It is pretty agreed universally that he was a genius. (No argument here). I would not disagree about awful "off-Broadway" modern Shakespeare productions being bad. And I tend to agree that Shakespeare fares best when performed by and in Great Britain. And I would kill to see the great Derek Jacobi live. Hopefully in a Shakespeare production with Branagh that comes to NYC.
But note that Welles FALSTAFF/CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT is quite great even in its diluted form....And his Othello and Macbeth are fabulous. Remember, interpretations vary- and therefore Mileage may vary per viewer. And No axiom is absolute: I have seen plenty of God-Awful Shakespeare performed by Britons...

What was in your post to inflame N. Americans? Where you slagging Welles a bit there? It is pretty agreed universally that he was a genius. (No argument here). I would not disagree about awful "off-Broadway" modern Shakespeare productions being bad. And I tend to agree that Shakespeare fares best when performed by and in Great Britain. And I would kill to see the great Derek Jacobi live. Hopefully in a Shakespeare production with Branagh that comes to NYC.
But note that Welles FALSTAFF/CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT is quite great even in its diluted form....And his Othello and Macbeth are fabulous. Remember, interpretations vary- and therefore Mileage may vary per viewer. And No axiom is absolute: I have seen plenty of God-Awful Shakespeare performed by Britons...

No mate, I'm a big fan of Welles ,, ( I have waxed lyrical over the long 'dismissed' productions - such as Touch of Evil, which is now happliy rehabilitated).
Besides, he was never overtly 'American' - that is to say his accent was almost abesent, and his sensibilities were of the old school, and thus no obstacle to playing classical material - in fact his voice was always one of his great assets.
But I did imagine some may take umbridge at the idea that The Bard should be played in context.

I like Chimes at Midnight very much - bought the Blu ray recently. It's saving grace is that it isn't actually lifted directly from The Bard. It's a new product which uses the historical characters/situations and throws a Shakespearian twist on it - which could only work with someone of Welles magnitude. I really don't see it as a reworking of Shakespeare - maybe I just don't want to; but there's never scene where you can possibly say, no, no, it's not done that way.

I have been very lucky to miss the bad productions - but then I am VERY fussy.

To see Derek Jacobi take the lead in Shakespeare is to enter another world for the duration of the performance. He's a spellbinding theatrical performer.
As the pros themselves say, anybody can act in TV and film with the endless multiple takes - in the theatre you get one shot, and live or die by that.

Cheers,

p.s. Would heartily recommend a trip to Stratford Upon Avon and the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, never seen a bad performance there. And of course, The Globe on the banks of The Thames for the truly authentic take on The Bard is unmissable.

p.p.s And please whatever you do, don't pronounce his name "Jack obi" - not only wrong and sounds awful; but it makes him sound like the Obi wan's cousin :)

ed. for clarity

Last edited: