Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
Best Actor
  • Casey Affleck (Manchester By the Sea)
  • Denzel Washington (Fences)
  • Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
  • Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge)
  • Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic)
Who do you think should win in this category?

The 2017 Academy Awards will be on Feb 26th.

Last edited:
My picks for the nominees:

Casey Affleck
Manchester by the Sea

Joel Edgerton
Loving

Andrew Garfield
Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Gosling
La La Land

Denzel Washington
Fences

I would pick Casey Affleck. But Denzel Washington is also outstanding in Fences. Garfield was fantastic, but could end up knocking himself out for being great in two films, Hacksaw Ridge and Silence. So look out for Ryan Reynolds sneaking in from Deadpool.

(And I secretly would not have any issue with Ryan Gosling winning because he has been snubbed before, and I love La La Land.)

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
@kbr1656
Shocked Joel Edgerton wasn't nominated but I'm also happy for Viggo.

I want Garfield to win (I feel like he deserves it for his overall work this year) or maybe Gosling for everything he did for the role, it was very impressive.

BUT Who I think will actually win... Affleck.
He seems to be the front runner... I'm not sure why... I saw Manchester by the Sea and he does a good job, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would.

• Thanks
Reactions: kbr1656
@kbr1656
Shocked Joel Edgerton wasn't nominated but I'm also happy for Viggo.

I want Garfield to win (I feel like he deserves it for his overall work this year) or maybe Gosling for everything he did for the role, it was very impressive.

BUT Who I think will actually win... Affleck.
He seems to be the front runner... I'm not sure why... I saw Manchester by the Sea and he does a good job, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would.
I honestly would be satisfied with any of them winning, which is rarely the case for me. I saw Hacksaw Ridge first, so I agree that Garfield was great. He was also very good in Silence. I saw Manchester by the Sea without any expectations, so maybe that's why I enjoyed Casey's performance so much. To me, it was heartbreaking. And I absolutely agree that Gosling had to put so much into the role. Singing, dancing, playing the piano, and...Oh, by the way, great acting!

• Thanks
@kaw I also got the chance to work with Casey once when I was an extra, so personal motivation as well.

Nice! What film?

I saw Manchester by the Sea without any expectations, so maybe that's why I enjoyed Casey's performance so much. To me, it was heartbreaking.

It was crazy emotional and he played it well. But (for me) it was just HIM acting that way. Do you know what i mean?
I find the best performances are when you are completely forget that actor and you just see the character, someone completely different then what they are.
And I guess I had heard how he was SO GREAT in it... and I found it somewhat underwhelming compared to the other actors on this list.

I still think its great he is nominated. But I don't think he should win it. (Which means he probably will, haha)

Nice! What film?

Out of the Furnace. My foot is on the back of the UK steelbook. Although, you would never know it.

It was crazy emotional and he played it well. But (for me) it was just HIM acting that way. Do you know what i mean?
I find the best performances are when you are completely forget that actor and you just see the character, someone completely different then what they are.
And I guess I had heard how he was SO GREAT in it... and I found it somewhat underwhelming compared to the other actors on this list.

I still think its great he is nominated. But I don't think he should win it. (Which means he probably will, haha)

Fair enough. I would love to see Ryan Gosling or Andrew Garfield win it. Especially since Ryan Gosling has been snubbed before.

• Thanks
It's got to be the Gos! :D

source.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: kbr1656 and kaw