Lost The Plot Ninja
Apr 27, 2012
Derbyshire ,England.
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Pacific Rim: Uprising

Tagline: Rise Up

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Steven S. DeKnight

Cast: John Boyega, Scott Eastwood, Cailee Spaeny, Jing Tian, Rinko Kikuchi, Burn Gorman, Idris Elba, Adria Arjona, Zhang Jin, Charlie Day, Madeleine McGraw, Karan Brar, Ivanna Sakhno, Mackenyu Arata, Wesley Wong, Levi Meaden, Rahart Adams, Zhu Zhu, Nick E. Tarabay, Dustin Clare, Daniel Feuerriegel, Lily Ji, Shyrley Rodriguez, Ellen McLain, Sam Kalidi, Jamie Slater, Yingying Lan, Chen Zitong, Yongchen Qian

Release: 2018-03-21

Runtime: 111

Plot: It has been ten years since The Battle of the Breach and the oceans are still, but restless. Vindicated by the victory at the Breach, the Jaeger program has evolved into the most powerful global defense force in human history. The PPDC now calls upon the best and brightest to rise up and become the next generation of heroes when the Kaiju threat returns.

Some interesting news on the fate of Raleigh Beckett (Charlie Hunnam) from the first film...

slight spoilers:
In an interview with Collider, Director Steven S. DeKnight commented:
“There was a version that was shot where what happened to him was explained and talked about. We tested it, and people had more questions with it in than without. We also decided we didn’t want to lock ourselves into anything like, ‘Oh, Raleigh’s dead,’ or ‘Raleigh’s retired,’ which seemed a little cheap.

We wanted to leave it open for the third installment of the movie in case we needed Charlie Hunnam back.

The only reason Charlie Hunnam’s not in this movie is a scheduling problem. He had his dream project, a remake of Papillion—we had just finished the script with him in it, and it was announced he was doing Papillion, his passion project, and unfortunately the dates were exactly the same as ours, right in the middle of when we would shoot. So very sadly he couldn’t be a part of this one, but hopefully in a future installment he will be.”

So I guess I hope this does well so we can see a 3rd with Hunnam back! :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and FN-2187
Some interesting news on the fate of Raleigh Beckett (Charlie Hunnam) from the first film...

slight spoilers:
In an interview with Collider, Director Steven S. DeKnight commented:
“There was a version that was shot where what happened to him was explained and talked about. We tested it, and people had more questions with it in than without. We also decided we didn’t want to lock ourselves into anything like, ‘Oh, Raleigh’s dead,’ or ‘Raleigh’s retired,’ which seemed a little cheap.

We wanted to leave it open for the third installment of the movie in case we needed Charlie Hunnam back.

The only reason Charlie Hunnam’s not in this movie is a scheduling problem. He had his dream project, a remake of Papillion—we had just finished the script with him in it, and it was announced he was doing Papillion, his passion project, and unfortunately the dates were exactly the same as ours, right in the middle of when we would shoot. So very sadly he couldn’t be a part of this one, but hopefully in a future installment he will be.”

So I guess I hope this does well so we can see a 3rd with Hunnam back! :thumbs:

I had figured that this was the issue with the film- it seemed as if his exclusion was an afterthought rather than any reason motivated by the plot.

Also- this movie did not win me over. I tried to like it- but it just.... didn't get to the point where I could enjoy it.

Saw this last night. Went in with low expectations but throughly enjoyed it! Started off a bit shaky but once they arrive at the shatterdome, it picks up the pace. The story as well I thought was a fun continuation of the first film and wasn’t nearly a case of ‘more of the same’ and i’m Not even ashamed to admit it but there was a moment during the finale when I cheered at the on screen action lol. Even the little kid in the same screening was cheering and having a dirty little laugh during the film keeping in spirit with it lol.

I said to my brother last night jokingly that the film had a slight Police Academy feel to it.
Pacific Rim : Citizens on Patrol anyone?

Saw this last night. Went in with low expectations but throughly enjoyed it! Started off a bit shaky but once they arrive at the shatterdome, it picks up the pace. The story as well I thought was a fun continuation of the first film and wasn’t nearly a case of ‘more of the same’ and i’m Not even ashamed to admit it but there was a moment during the finale when I cheered at the on screen action lol. Even the little kid in the same screening was cheering and having a dirty little laugh during the film keeping in spirit with it lol.

I said to my brother last night jokingly that the film had a slight Police Academy feel to it.
Pacific Rim : Citizens on Patrol anyone?
AWESOME! :woot: BEST mini review I've read for this film! :woot: Glad you enjoyed it @bigrob :thumbs:

Pacific Rim: Uprising is a perfect example of when bad trailers happen to good movies. I love, love, love the first film. Uprising made me a skeptic before the trailers even arrived due to its horrific pre-production (GDT left the project, it was delayed, canned, rebooted, etc.), but then those trailers showed up with the bright colours, awful music, and Power Rangers/Transformers-esque scenery and I was officially worried that Pacific Rim had changed for the worse.

So, after a week of it being in theatres, I finally watched it and, well... it was good. Quite good, actually. Definitely not the trainwreck I was expecting. Steven S. DeKnight did a fine job taking over for GDT -- something that I wasn't sure he'd be able to do considering this was his first time directing a film.

John Boyega was good as the new lead. He was believable as Stacker's son and had good chemistry with the rest of the cast. Scott Eastwood was the usual Scott Eastwood -- a half-decent, half-wooden performance. Cailee Spaeny was surprisingly really good! I hated the fact that Uprising was going to have kids, but she was actually a great addition to the cast.

From here, I'm going to put the rest in spoilers just in case...

I still don't really like that there's kids. In the film, there's mention that there's always been these teens around because it's easier to drift together when you're younger, yet not once did we see anyone under the age of 20 in the first Pacific Rim. Apparently Jake Pentecost was a recruit once before and his dad booted him out... yet not once during the first film does Stacker or Mako mention Jake.

And while the new cast members are anywhere from decent to great, the original characters were essentially b**tardized in Uprising.

It's nice that Raleigh receive a shout-out, but MAKO MORI DIED IN A FREAKIN' HELICOPTER! As soon as I saw her in the helicopter, I knew she was going to die... and I was not happy about it. So yeah, one of the heroes of the first film dies in a helicopter. Directly after that, Jake is standing in front of a hologram of her in this weird "hall of dead Jaeger pilots" shrine. I would like to think that if she were to die, Raleigh would want to pay his respects or something. *shrug*

And then we have Newt. I'm on the fence with what they did with him. I mean, it makes sense that his mind would become infected by the precursors during his Kaiju drift in the first film, but I missed the fun, off-the-walls Newt. He seemed off right from the start, so when they revealed 'Alice', I wasn't surprised at all. Also, wouldn't Hannibal Chau become infected after drifting with the Kaiju? You know, since he did it before Newt. I don't know... it made sense to the story, but at the same time I didn't really like it. (Especially how the film keeps him a villain at the very end)

Gottlieb was awesome in this, though! He was his same wacky self and that butt-kicking scene in the elevator was great! I'm glad they kept one character their same ol' self.

I know Raleigh wasn't back because Charlie Hunnam left the project when GDT left, but where was Max Martini's Herc Hansen? I have no idea why they had this Marshal Quan instead of Herc. Also, Liwen Shao saves the day with Scrapper at the end? Hmm...

That should've been Mako at the end with Scrapper. 100%.

I also spent the entire film missing the Pacific Rim theme music, so I was SO relieved when it kicked in 3/4 through the film. It's too bad that Ramin Djawadi didn't return. I missed his music throughout the film.

It may seem like I'm complaining a lot, it's just that... I love Pacific Rim so much and while this was a hell of a lot better than Transformers or Power Rangers, it still wasn't on the same level as the first Pacific Rim. I can't help but wonder how much better this sequel would've been if GDT had stayed on. Overall, though, I really do like this film and I'll definitely buy it and rewatch it. I hope a third, final film happens. Either that or a Godzilla/Kong crossover.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Pacific Rim: Uprising is a perfect example of when bad trailers happen to good movies. I love, love, love the first film. Uprising made me a skeptic before the trailers even arrived due to its horrific pre-production (GDT left the project, it was delayed, canned, rebooted, etc.), but then those trailers showed up with the bright colours, awful music, and Power Rangers/Transformers-esque scenery and I was officially worried that Pacific Rim had changed for the worse.

So, after a week of it being in theatres, I finally watched it and, well... it was good. Quite good, actually. Definitely not the trainwreck I was expecting. Steven S. DeKnight did a fine job taking over for GDT -- something that I wasn't sure he'd be able to do considering this was his first time directing a film.

John Boyega was good as the new lead. He was believable as Stacker's son and had good chemistry with the rest of the cast. Scott Eastwood was the usual Scott Eastwood -- a half-decent, half-wooden performance. Cailee Spaeny was surprisingly really good! I hated the fact that Uprising was going to have kids, but she was actually a great addition to the cast.

From here, I'm going to put the rest in spoilers just in case...

I still don't really like that there's kids. In the film, there's mention that there's always been these teens around because it's easier to drift together when you're younger, yet not once did we see anyone under the age of 20 in the first Pacific Rim. Apparently Jake Pentecost was a recruit once before and his dad booted him out... yet not once during the first film does Stacker or Mako mention Jake.

And while the new cast members are anywhere from decent to great, the original characters were essentially b**tardized in Uprising.

It's nice that Raleigh receive a shout-out, but MAKO MORI DIED IN A FREAKIN' HELICOPTER! As soon as I saw her in the helicopter, I knew she was going to die... and I was not happy about it. So yeah, one of the heroes of the first film dies in a helicopter. Directly after that, Jake is standing in front of a hologram of her in this weird "hall of dead Jaeger pilots" shrine. I would like to think that if she were to die, Raleigh would want to pay his respects or something. *shrug*

And then we have Newt. I'm on the fence with what they did with him. I mean, it makes sense that his mind would become infected by the precursors during his Kaiju drift in the first film, but I missed the fun, off-the-walls Newt. He seemed off right from the start, so when they revealed 'Alice', I wasn't surprised at all. Also, wouldn't Hannibal Chau become infected after drifting with the Kaiju? You know, since he did it before Newt. I don't know... it made sense to the story, but at the same time I didn't really like it. (Especially how the film keeps him a villain at the very end)

Gottlieb was awesome in this, though! He was his same wacky self and that butt-kicking scene in the elevator was great! I'm glad they kept one character their same ol' self.

I know Raleigh wasn't back because Charlie Hunnam left the project when GDT left, but where was Max Martini's Herc Hansen? I have no idea why they had this Marshal Quan instead of Herc. Also, Liwen Shao saves the day with Scrapper at the end? Hmm...

That should've been Mako at the end with Scrapper. 100%.

I also spent the entire film missing the Pacific Rim theme music, so I was SO relieved when it kicked in 3/4 through the film. It's too bad that Ramin Djawadi didn't return. I missed his music throughout the film.

It may seem like I'm complaining a lot, it's just that... I love Pacific Rim so much and while this was a hell of a lot better than Transformers or Power Rangers, it still wasn't on the same level as the first Pacific Rim. I can't help but wonder how much better this sequel would've been if GDT had stayed on. Overall, though, I really do like this film and I'll definitely buy it and rewatch it. I hope a third, final film happens. Either that or a Godzilla/Kong crossover.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233
Definitely the Ninja review I've been waiting for! :cool: :notworthy: I enjoyed the hell out of this! :woot: Hopefully a 3rd film does happen (it better!)

And a Godzilla/Kong crossover would be a dream come true! :drool::drool::drool:
dream crossover.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
From Comic Book Resources:

For the upcoming Japanese release of the anime Godzilla: Kessen Kidō Zōshoku Toshi (Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle), Toho Inc. and Legendary Pictures have collaborated on a promotional poster featuring the titular legendary Kaiju and a crew of Jaegers, including Gipsy Avenger, Saber Athena and Bracer Phoenix from Pacific Rim: Uprising, which releases this weekend in Japan.

godrim.jpg

Illustrator Hidetaka Tenjin (Macross Frontier) created the poster, which brings together the two monster-filled worlds. Tenjin said he wanted to respect the impact of Godzilla while also paying homage to a history of giant robots in Japanese pop culture.

Godzilla: Kessen Kidō Zōshoku Toshi is the second film in a planned Godzilla anime trilogy, and releases in Japan on May 18. The first film in the series, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, released in November 2017 and is currently available for streaming worldwide on Netflix.

• Helpful Post
From Comic Book Resources:

For the upcoming Japanese release of the anime Godzilla: Kessen Kidō Zōshoku Toshi (Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle), Toho Inc. and Legendary Pictures have collaborated on a promotional poster featuring the titular legendary Kaiju and a crew of Jaegers, including Gipsy Avenger, Saber Athena and Bracer Phoenix from Pacific Rim: Uprising, which releases this weekend in Japan.

View attachment 369355

Illustrator Hidetaka Tenjin (Macross Frontier) created the poster, which brings together the two monster-filled worlds. Tenjin said he wanted to respect the impact of Godzilla while also paying homage to a history of giant robots in Japanese pop culture.

Godzilla: Kessen Kidō Zōshoku Toshi is the second film in a planned Godzilla anime trilogy, and releases in Japan on May 18. The first film in the series, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, released in November 2017 and is currently available for streaming worldwide on Netflix.
WOW! :OMG: This definitely has my attention! :woot: Thanks for sharing @tridon! :thumbs:

• Thanks
This film is really depending on Japan right now. It opened there on April 13th. That's the last country to make money off of (and will likely be the highest-grossing one considering Japan loves their Kaiju films).

It looks like this'll be ending its domestic run with an ultra-low $60-million. It's only made a worldwide total of $281-million so far off of a $150-million budget. Things aren't looking too hot for a Pacific Rim 3 unless this thing can make $150-million+ off of Japan.

And that's why I hate how this film ended with the set-up for a third film. If we never get a PR3, we'll have this crappy set-up ending with no conclusion. Independence Day: Resurgence ended the same way -- setting up a third film that'll never happen now due to its box office failure. (n)

• Helpful Post
This film is really depending on Japan right now. It opened there on April 13th. That's the last country to make money off of (and will likely be the highest-grossing one considering Japan loves their Kaiju films).

It looks like this'll be ending its domestic run with an ultra-low $60-million. It's only made a worldwide total of $281-million so far off of a $150-million budget. Things aren't looking too hot for a Pacific Rim 3 unless this thing can make $150-million+ off of Japan.

And that's why I hate how this film ended with the set-up for a third film. If we never get a PR3, we'll have this crappy set-up ending with no conclusion. Independence Day: Resurgence ended the same way -- setting up a third film that'll never happen now due to its box office failure. (n)
Considering how crappy their marketing was, no surprise here... their Power Rangers ft. Transformers themed trailers turned off a lot of people I'm sure...

And btw, they should thank China for $98M out of this $223M Worldwide...

• Thanks
Considering how crappy their marketing was, no surprise here... their Power Rangers ft. Transformers themed trailers turned off a lot of people I'm sure...

And btw, they should thank China for $98M out of this $223M Worldwide...

Yeah, China helped them out BIG time! You're right, though -- the marketing was awful! I actually enjoyed Uprising when I finally saw it, but I spent the whole time leading up to my viewing just not caring because the trailers were horrendous.

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18