Passengers (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Sep 23, 2013
Release date: May 8, 2017
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Zoom - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Amazon) - £24.99 (Zavvi) - £22.99 (Zoom - Hmv)

Unboxing on HDN main page by cooey

Immagine.jpg

Immagine2.jpg Immagine3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this today and was hoping in hand it would be better than the photos.. it wasn't. Feels very cheap, slightly saved by the debossed title. There is no way that it's spot gloss on the ship, I would say it's zero finish on the ship. Also I have a load of scratches on the back of the steel.

Positive note is that I got it with a code for £18.60 and it's a new release with 3D disc and UV so I bet the price isn't much different from the amaray so it was definitely worth buying.. if this had been a one disc catalogue title I would've waited for bargain bin prices for the steel, £5.99 :rofl: shame about the scatches but worth the cost for what you get:)

I got this today and was hoping in hand it would be better than the photos.. it wasn't. Feels very cheap, slightly saved by the debossed title. There is no way that it's spot gloss on the ship, I would say it's zero finish on the ship. Also I have a load of scratches on the back of the steel.

Positive note is that I got it with a code for £18.60 and it's a new release with 3D disc and UV so I bet the price isn't much different from the amaray so it was definitely worth buying.. if this had been a one disc catalogue title I would've waited for bargain bin prices for the steel, £5.99 :rofl: shame about the scatches but worth the cost for what you get:)

oh no :arghh:

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk
Got mine yesterday. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed. I loved the choice of artwork, but the finish is very poor. It has a 'washed out' appearance which almost makes it look like a bit of a knock off from a 1980's VHS. The space scene on the front needed to be really vivid like the example artwork to give it a sense of depth. Debossing is really cool though.

• Thanks
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
Got mine yesterday. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed. I loved the choice of artwork, but the finish is very poor. It has a 'washed out' appearance which almost makes it look like a bit of a knock off from a 1980's VHS. The space scene on the front needed to be really vivid like the example artwork to give it a sense of depth. Debossing is really cool though.

Yeah, shame really...If the Studio / distributor paid 1 Euro more on production costs to uplift the finishing then it would have been a real winner.

So, who's got two open copies of this steelbook and is prepared to take out the spray varnish and give one of them the twice-over and then post comparison pics?

Looks better in the unboxing than in static pics, that's for sure :thumbs:
(unboxing in French but the images are what count)
I'd say that the light effects in the artwork seen when the steelbook is tilted were created by removing sections of the white base layer thus allowing the bare metal to shine easier through the lighter areas of said artwork (an effect that would not have worked nearly so well had a thick gloss finish been applied):-

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
Nice Steelbook but the finish has a lot to be desired. If gloss was out then a zero finish would have been just as good.
A shame but as nearly everyone says; no floating heads makes this a winner.

Reactions: Headhunter
Watched the film last night so thought I would update with my thoughts. I know this wasn't a massive hit with critics, but this type of thing is right up my street so I really enjoyed it. The visuals / audio are a real treat. I loved the whole design asethtic (The bar being a particular favourite of mine). After watching recent titles such as Dr Strange and Rogue One I thought the 3D wasn't used particularly effectively. Considering the large empty locations aboard the ship I never got a real sense of depth from it. I actually thought the best use of 3D was the space scenes used in the end credits.

I will definitely be watching it again, but will probably try it out in 2D.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
happy days. :) received my copy this week and i do like the steelbook. yes, it's mostly matte, but the embossing is nice and subtle, and after reading all of the above, fyi, it does have spot gloss, albeit minor - hopefully the shot below brings this out. :thumbs:

watched this again last night and i actually enjoyed it a bit more the second time around, and will be rewatching. there's issues with the story for me and the script, but the performances are good. (continues, with spoilers)...:
...the whole moral issue about waking Aurora up could have been dealt with in more detail, but on second viewing i like Pratt's section at the beginning when he is on his own a lot. he's not Daniel Day Lewis, but he does a good job of conveying his emotions. Lawrence is never bad, Sheen is excellent, and the arrival of Laurence Fishburne halfway through remains one of those few and far between great surprises that they'd actually managed to keep out of modern trailers, like another A-lister's appearance in another recent sci-fi. and it remains a graphic and set designer's dream.

plenty of pics elsewhere of the steelbook, but that spot gloss:

it's exactly the sort of film i'd buy as a standard steel rather than a premium. and it continues to look georgeous.
giphy.gif