Passengers (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Sep 23, 2013
Release date: May 8, 2017
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Zoom - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Amazon) - £24.99 (Zavvi) - £22.99 (Zoom - Hmv)

Unboxing on HDN main page by cooey

Immagine.jpg

Immagine2.jpg Immagine3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3D is already out the door. Sony and LG both confirmed no new models with 3D support. All TV manufacturers shifted their focus on 4K and HDR.

Sorry for off-topic :)

So what are people supposed to do with their 3D collections? I'm willing to bet that some manufacturers will support the format, they'd be stupid not to. It's clearly not a particularly expensive technology to implement into TVs and they would scoop up all the sales from people like me that want to tell Sony and co where to **** themselves.

Again, I won't be forced into upgrading to a technology I don't need and didn't ask for.

• Thanks
Reactions: Leafs17
So what are people supposed to do with their 3D collections? I'm willing to bet that some manufacturers will support the format, they'd be stupid not to. It's clearly not a particularly expensive technology to implement into TVs and they would scoop up all the sales from people like me that want to tell Sony and co where to **** themselves.

Again, I won't be forced into upgrading to a technology I don't need and didn't ask for.

No one asked for VHS, LD, DVD, Blu-ray, UHD. It was all forced upon us and most of us adopted and adapted accordingly.

No one asked for VHS, LD, DVD, Blu-ray, UHD. It was all forced upon us and most of us adopted and adapted accordingly.

But the trouble is that UHD and 3D could and should run side by side - they provide different viewing experiences (based on personal preference) rather than those earlier advancements that were all about improving resolution and so there was no downside to the older technology falling away.

@ChrisIW, in 2014 Daily Mail reported some 1.5m 3D tv's sold in UK - from 2010-2014. And the price was roughly 25% more than a regular TV.

Since 3D never really caught on, it's completely normal they are getting rid of it. And, of course, you are probably going to be able to buy a brand new 3D TV in 5 years but it will be by some 3rd world country brand. Unless the manufacturing process becomes much more expensive, then they'll all stop producing 3D TV's.

Well obviously you're going to say that as you're not losing your preferred format :rolleyes:

Some of us don't want to "get used to it".

You will have to get used to it. There will be no other choice. You have to go with the flow or you can get stuck in the past which is never a good thing :)

Reactions: lgans316
You will have to get used to it. There will be no other choice. You have to go with the flow or you can get stuck in the past which is never a good thing :)

Once again, it is very easy for a known critic of 3D to say that all that. It easier said than done when you have a sizeable collection of 3D films that you enjoy and wouldn't want to part with easily. I know you don't mean any offence - and I appreciate the smiley that emphasises that - but it's not nice to have something you like casually brushed aside as irrelevant just because you're in the minority.

Also I get a bit sick of hearing people say 3D never really took off. It's been around for a few years now - long after the first moaners started saying it was dying out - and a quick look at Amazon shows well over 500 blu ray 3D products, so it's not like there's been a lack of releases. There are so many ongoing releases that just suit 3D perfectly (sci-fi, super-hero, animation, big SFX blockbusters) that it would be a great shame if the format does eventually disappear and those types of film will never be as enjoyable as they could have been had 3D still been around.

Once again, it is very easy for a known critic of 3D to say that all that. It easier said than done when you have a sizeable collection of 3D films that you enjoy and wouldn't want to part with easily. I know you don't mean any offence - and I appreciate the smiley that emphasises that - but it's not nice to have something you like casually brushed aside as irrelevant just because you're in the minority.

Also I get a bit sick of hearing people say 3D never really took off. It's been around for a few years now - long after the first moaners started saying it was dying out - and a quick look at Amazon shows well over 500 blu ray 3D products, so it's not like there's been a lack of releases. There are so many ongoing releases that just suit 3D perfectly (sci-fi, super-hero, animation, big SFX blockbusters) that it would be a great shame if the format does eventually disappear and those types of film will never be as enjoyable as they could have been had 3D still been around.

3D will be around as long as studios keep making 3D films. I love home 3D. I find it better compared to cinema 3D and love the immersion and depth it gives you. It's still fairly niche though. Sky gave up on their 3D channel but you can still access 3D content on demand. It's not dying, it's just being scaled back to a more realistic level. Look at DVDs. They're still massive for a lot of people even though Blu-ray has been around for ages. The majority of people and families can pick up something cheap and spend money on other, more essential stuff.

UHD/4K is new but will still stay fairly niche too. Most people wont upgrade their sets and players for what is essentially very little amount of content. Those that can will. Ultimately until the BBC or terrestrial channels get on board then most people wont bother upgrading. the greater the content the bigger the uptake but people have become more selective in what they spend their money on in today's climate.

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW

I wish TV manufacturers would make glasses-free 3D TV's but that doesn't seem to go anywhere at the moment.
I have a few 3D films myself and I personally don't like watching 3D content because it hurts my eyes but some people enjoy it.

I was sad when VHS was replaced by dvd's. My dad still has a huge collection of VHS tapes which are now obsolete and I personally spent a fortune on dvd's which are, in my eyes, also obsolete now (minus certain special ones).

Technology has to go forward. If it doesn't, we start going backwards. I hope everyone of us gets what they really want.

Reactions: lgans316
@ChrisIW, in 2014 Daily Mail reported some 1.5m 3D tv's sold in UK - from 2010-2014. And the price was roughly 25% more than a regular TV.

Since 3D never really caught on, it's completely normal they are getting rid of it. And, of course, you are probably going to be able to buy a brand new 3D TV in 5 years but it will be by some 3rd world country brand. Unless the manufacturing process becomes much more expensive, then they'll all stop producing 3D TV's.

3d tv has nothing to do with the take up of 3d tv's being bought; it has been put on a backburner untill the tech is ready for tv's to not require the glasses (passive & active), and also for the film makers to have cheaper access to actually making 3d films without worry of adding to its potential loss at the cinema. The film was really good, a great start to the year. If the steelbook could just reflect a more eye popping image from the movie !

Last edited:
3d tv has nothing to do with the take up of 3d tv's being bought; it has been put on a backburner untill the tech is ready for tv's to not require the glasses (passive & active), and also for the film makers to have cheaper access to actually making 3d films without worry of adding to its potential loss at the cinema.

Hey folks, let's please bring back the discussion to this movie's release. Feel free to take the 3D discussion to the appropriate section. Thanks.

Check the post above yours from Apollon.
Am well aware of the post in question, just wondering were you come into playing the devils advocate ? If people understand the issues regarding 3d, then they can move on and discus the issues regarding the steelbook of the film; eg :- the art, dembosing, is it very collectable etc. Many thanks though for pointing out the elephant in the room.

Am well aware of the post in question, just wondering were you come into playing the devils advocate ? If people understand the issues regarding 3d, then they can move on and discus the issues regarding the steelbook of the film; eg :- the art, dembosing, is it very collectable etc. Many thanks though for pointing out the elephant in the room.

Not playing anything. I am the devil's advocate! :smuggrin::rolleyes:
You could've sent me a PM. We've spammed enough of this thread with non-steelbook related posts.

• Thanks
Reactions: neo and lgans316