Release date: April 25th, 2016
Purchase link: Planet Earth (live)
Price: £19.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally took a look at an episode of this series. And I was really kind of annoyed by it. It felt like 90% was super slow motion footage. I think they fell in love with the (at the time) revolutionary slow motion cameras that had been developed and just overdid it. I bet if you sped up all the super slo-mo scenes, this series would be 120 minutes!:LOL: It is a beautifully shot series- but it almost became comical how often it would go into super slo-mo.

I finally took a look at an episode of this series. And I was really kind of annoyed by it. It felt like 90% was super slow motion footage. I think they fell in love with the (at the time) revolutionary slow motion cameras that had been developed and just overdid it. I bet if you sped up all the super slo-mo scenes, this series would be 120 minutes!:LOL: It is a beautifully shot series- but it almost became comical how often it would go into super slo-mo.

Really ?

Have you watched BBC "The Hunt" that is also a super slo mo fest. But gorgeous due to the colour grading etc.

I think Super Slo Mo is the best thing ever ... most things in nature are too quick for our eyes to digest. Slow motion really lets us analyze things.

Really ?

Have you watched BBC "The Hunt" that is also a super slo mo fest. But gorgeous due to the colour grading etc.

I think Super Slo Mo is the best thing ever ... most things in nature are too quick for our eyes to digest. Slow motion really lets us analyze things.
I agree that it is neat tool for those needs. But, as with all good things, I think there can be a tendency to overuse it.
I mean, the episode of PE I saw- they were super slo-mo'ing things that didn't need it at all.
This isn't a real burr under my saddle - just more of an observation.;)

I agree that it is neat tool for those needs. But, as with all good things, I think there can be a tendency to overuse it.
I mean, the episode of PE I saw- they were super slo-mo'ing things that didn't need it at all.
This isn't a real burr under my saddle - just more of an observation.;)
Come on you have to be fair to Dave! The guy was almost 80! Needed to be in super slo-mo so he has time to describe it!

Zavvi Customer Relations Executive has replied to me
This is what the reply was

Hello Paul,

Thank you for getting in touch about your recent experience with Zavvi.

I am very sorry that the item you received differed from the description on site.

As detailed within the Terms and Conditions that are agreed to by placing an order with us, section 14, Limitation of Liability details the following:

"Whilst we will try to ensure that material included on the Website is correct, reputable and of high quality, we cannot accept responsibility if this is not the case. We will not be responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of such information or for any technical problems you may experience with the Website. If we are informed of any inaccuracies in the material on the Website we will attempt to correct this as soon as we reasonably can."

This error within the product description has been removed from our website.

As detailed within the Consumer Rights Act, any errors that are present in the description, the customer has to be informed before the goods are paid for and dispatched, customers will also be given the option to cancel their order.

Unfortunately this error was not something that we was aware of prior to dispatching your order, therefore it could not inform customers about this error.

As detailed above, due to this error you are within your rights to request a cancellation of your contract, this can be fulfilled in the form of a free return. Once returned to us, a full refund can be processed and the sale contract cancelled.

If you wish to cancel the contract of sale in line with the aforementioned Consumer Rights Act 2015 due tot his error, please let get in touch and I will arrange for some free returns information to be sent to you.

Kind regards,

Martin Seed
Customer Relations Executive

I have replied to Zavvi reminding them this has happened before with the Wicker Man Steelbook and on that occasion StudioCanal provided the missing content for customers who pre ordered when description of goods listed the missing content

I said to them if StudioCanal can provide missing Content why can't Zavvi request the BBC to do the same considering Zavvi told me it was the supplier who provided the details of the steelbook that it included Planet Earth the Future

I'm not letting either Zavvi or the BBC walk away from this by ignoring it

Zavvi Customer Relations Executive has replied to me
This is what the reply was

Hello Paul,

Thank you for getting in touch about your recent experience with Zavvi.

I am very sorry that the item you received differed from the description on site.

As detailed within the Terms and Conditions that are agreed to by placing an order with us, section 14, Limitation of Liability details the following:

"Whilst we will try to ensure that material included on the Website is correct, reputable and of high quality, we cannot accept responsibility if this is not the case. We will not be responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of such information or for any technical problems you may experience with the Website. If we are informed of any inaccuracies in the material on the Website we will attempt to correct this as soon as we reasonably can."

This error within the product description has been removed from our website.

As detailed within the Consumer Rights Act, any errors that are present in the description, the customer has to be informed before the goods are paid for and dispatched, customers will also be given the option to cancel their order.

Unfortunately this error was not something that we was aware of prior to dispatching your order, therefore it could not inform customers about this error.

As detailed above, due to this error you are within your rights to request a cancellation of your contract, this can be fulfilled in the form of a free return. Once returned to us, a full refund can be processed and the sale contract cancelled.

If you wish to cancel the contract of sale in line with the aforementioned Consumer Rights Act 2015 due tot his error, please let get in touch and I will arrange for some free returns information to be sent to you.

Kind regards,

Martin Seed
Customer Relations Executive

I have replied to Zavvi reminding them this has happened before with the Wicker Man Steelbook and on that occasion StudioCanal provided the missing content for customers who pre ordered when description of goods listed the missing content

I said to them if StudioCanal can provide missing Content why can't Zavvi request the BBC to do the same considering Zavvi told me it was the supplier who provided the details of the steelbook that it included Planet Earth the Future

I'm not letting either Zavvi or the BBC walk away from this by ignoring it
Atleast your getting replies. My advisor went to ask for more info a few days ago & I've heard nothing back!

Whilst not wishing to upset anyone or rock the boat, and even though I sympathise with those buyers expecting the DVD of PLANET EARTH: THE FUTURE to be included inside the steelbook, can't say I agree that it should have been.
Why do I say that?
For a few reasons:-
1) To my knowledge this steelbook was never advertised with the content of the digipack Special Edition from 2010 (i.e. 4 x BD50, 1 x BD25 & 1 x DVD - 660 minutes) and everywhere I looked the listing was for a "Five disc set - 5BDs" or, in other words, the Standard Edition from 2007 (5 x BD25 - 563 minutes).
2) To my knowledge reference sites such as BR.com have always listed the content as 563 minutes or the same as for the Standard Edition.
3) To my knowledge listings everywhere for this steelbook have been for 5 DISCS (5 BDs).
4) DVDs are rarely included in Blu-ray steelbooks in the U.K.
5) To my knowledge the DVD included in the Special Edition Blu-ray set did NOT include PLANET EARTH: THE FUTURE but rather SECRETS OF THE MAYA UNDERWORLD and GREAT PLANET EARTH MOMENTS.
PLANET EARTH: THE FUTURE was ONLY included in the DVD collection and was on disc 5 of that collection.

Zavvi clearly cocked-up in their listing with mention of PLANET EARTH: THE FUTURE which I repeat was NOT included in the Special Edition let alone in the Standard Edition.

That being said it shouldn't be a problem for anyone seriously thinking of returning this for a refund.

Last edited:
Zavvi have now removed all reference to the steelbook including
Planet Earth The Future

For anyone that needs the original website description
Here is a screenshot of the website description before they removed the description showing it includes Planet Earth The Future
View attachment 235958 View attachment 235959

Whilst not wishing to upset anyone or rock the boat, and even though I sympathise with those buyers expecting the DVD of PLANET EARTH: THE FUTURE to be included inside the steelbook, can't say I agree that it should have been.
Why do I say that?
For a few reasons:-
1) To my knowledge this steelbook was never advertised with the content of the digipack Special Edition from 2010 (4 x BD50, 1 x BD25 & 1 x DVD - 660 minutes) and everywhere I looked the listing was for a "Five disc set - 5BDs" or, in other words, the Standard Edition from 2007 (5 x BD25 - 563 minutes).
2) To my knowledge reference sites such as BR.com have always listed the content as 563 minutes or the same as for the Standard Edition.
3) To my knowledge listings everywhere for this steelbook have been for 5 DISCS.
4) DVDs are rarely included in Blu-ray steelbooks in the U.K.

its clearly seen in the description they had for the release as seen in the screenshots

@virkia I'm sure your comments are accurate, but none of that is relevant, as Zavvi's product description clearly said: "Also includes: Planet Earth - The Future".

It doesn't really matter what other sites have or have not said about this release, as the customer isn't required to do extensive research on the net and / or elsewhere to verify whether the information provided by the exclusive retailer is accurate or not.

Reactions: leelee17
I have had more replies from Zavvi both yesterday and today

Zavvi did try to get the missing Planet Earth the Future Disc

Customer Operation Team in regards to sourcing the Planet Earth, The Future Disc.They have advised that we have attempted to arrange for the The Future Disc to be sourced and send out to customers who ordered the Steelbook, however they have advised that this was logistically not possible.

I replied to this message yesterday and got a reply this afternoon
I have had a solution in regards to my order:D

My solution they might not do for others so when I explain next week what that was it does not mean they will be willing to do it for all

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles
Got my reply from Zavvi:

Thank you for getting in touch about the DVD.

I am very sorry, we were provided with incorrect information and Planet Earth - The Future will not be sent. This was a content issue on our site that has now been resolved. I apologise for any disappointment caused.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Zavvi.com Customer Service Team

I kind of quoted @paulboland talking about the UK and EU consumer rights acts and such, and I also said:
I expect Zavvi to figure out an appropriate solution rather than "We told you this item included something that it did not include, you bought it because of this, your mistake.

Lets see how that goes.

Reactions: Ranavalone
My solution with Zavvi was delivered today :thumbs::D

13174062_10208759296640333_1851692999031976953_n.jpg 13174051_10208759296760336_7441836449577286466_n.jpg 13165826_10208759297200347_6030890339534023478_n.jpg
I asked Zavvi as a gesture of goodwill to provide me with Planet Earth DVD Special Edition as it contains Planet Earth the Future Disc as a solution to the missing disc

You can try requesting this is you want with Zavvi but do remember all Zavvi are obliged to do is offer you a full refund or a partial refund
Zavvi did try with the suppliers to provide all customers who pre ordered the missing Planet Earth the Future Disc but was unable to get the supplier to provide the Discs

You can try what I have done but it does not mean they will do the same for all customers

The Steelbook as you know can hold 6 Discs
Planet Earth the Future DVD in the steelbook with the 5 other Discs
13102799_10208759296960341_8286021186962455805_n.jpg

Zavvi customer service can be very good they not always bad :thumbs:

My solution with Zavvi was delivered today :thumbs::D

View attachment 238573 View attachment 238574 View attachment 238575
I asked Zavvi as a gesture of goodwill to provide me with Planet Earth DVD Special Edition as it contains Planet Earth the Future Disc as a solution to the missing disc

You can try requesting this is you want with Zavvi but do remember all Zavvi are obliged to do is offer you a full refund or a partial refund
Zavvi did try with the suppliers to provide all customers who pre ordered the missing Planet Earth the Future Disc but was unable to get the supplier to provide the Discs

You can try what I have done but it does not mean they will do the same for all customers

The Steelbook as you know can hold 6 Discs
Planet Earth the Future DVD in the steelbook with the 5 other Discs
View attachment 238576

In the middle of fighting that battle. Last communication was them asking for me to ship my steelbook back for a refund.

Give over. Zavvi are awful when it comes to customer service. One good deed does not wipe out the misery people experience when dealing with customer service. Had you not got in contact armed with basic rights and some important knowledge you would most likely have not got very far which is what most people will end up with.

I am certain there are many members here who don't even bother getting in touch with CS instead choosing to sell on ebay or the market here rather than bother with Zavvi.

If Zavvi have such good CS why didn't you bother posting this information before your dvd boxset arrived.

I'm sure your trying to help others here but that part of your post is an insult to those who have to go through their so called customer service.

In the middle of fighting that battle. Last communication was them asking for me to ship my steelbook back for a refund.

I wouldn't expect anything less from them, their doing what they are legally obliged to do.

When you return it unless you've been provided with a prepaid return label you'll probably have to get in touch again for the postage to be returned. It is quite vague what paulboland has provided as to how he got his copy, I would guess the main reason he did was because his ticket had been escalated to the Customer relations executive / Customer Operations Team who were able to make such a decision for him. Maybe Paul can clarify this himself.

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles
I wouldn't expect anything less from them, their doing what they are legally obliged to do.

When you return it unless you've been provided with a prepaid return label you'll probably have to get in touch again for the postage to be returned. It is quite vague what paulboland has provided as to how he got his copy, I would guess the main reason he did was because his ticket had been escalated to the Customer relations executive / Customer Operations Team who were able to make such a decision for him. Maybe Paul can clarify this himself.
Zavvi admitted it was their mistake to not inform customers before payment was taken as I had pointed out to them in regards to Comsumer Rights UK Law
If you just accept their auto replies they will try the partial refund or return reply as that is what Zavvi do and we all know that
Some auto replies straight away I accept because it's what I expect
If I'm not happy with the standard reply I don't give up until I get a responce I'm happy with
I keep at them but I was polite but firm till I got a solution I was happy with
I said I will explain what I did when I got delivery simply because I wanted to make sure I got delivery first before I explained what that was

I could have kept quite and said nothing
I have provided my solution it's up to others to keep at Zavvi and try to get the same or just accept a partial refund or return for a full refund

Reactions: terry44
Zavvi admitted it was their mistake to not inform customers before payment was taken as I had pointed out to them in regards to Comsumer Rights UK Law
If you just accept their auto replies they will try the partial refund or return reply as that is what Zavvi do and we all know that
Some auto replies straight away I accept because it's what I expect
If I'm not happy with the standard reply I don't give up until I get a responce I'm happy with
I keep at them but I was polite but firm till I got a solution I was happy with
I said I will explain what I did when I got delivery simply because I wanted to make sure I got delivery first before I explained what that was

I could have kept quite and said nothing
I have provided my solution it's up to others to keep at Zavvi and try to get the same or just accept a partial refund or return for a full refund
I was offered - and I accepted - a partial refund. More out of principle than anything, as I wanted to keep the steelbook and wasn't that bothered about the missing content per se, just the fact that I had received something less than I was expecting and felt I had paid for.

Good on you for suggesting a solution. I have done the same in the past when I have felt particularly strongly enough about something and I don't feel I'm getting a fair recompense. I have been pleasantly surprised at how easily such suggestions get accepted at times.

Like the old adage (or a certain mobile phone retailer commercial at the moment) - if you don't ask ...

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: paulboland