3DS Pokemon X & Y, easy for kids?

Oct 11, 2011
Poole UK
Hi guys

Just a quick question, my eldest son (seven years old) would like either Pokemon X or Y for his 3DS for Christmas, how easy are they to pick up and play, for kids of his age?

Been a Nintendo gamer since I was about eight, but I've never got round to playing a Pokemon game, so not really sure what to expect.

Thanks for your time.

I think for some challenges it's better for kids who already can read. I mean you could still play it, train your Pokemon and catch some Pokemon but you'll be stuck with that if you don't know where to go and who to talk to. But there's a walkthrough out there which you can buy for the younger ones. :) Sorry for broka engla, hope that was all grammatically ok.

Reactions: Sir Hilary Bray
There are some game mechanics that are.. challenging for the youngsters i'd say.. eg realising which pokemon require happiness to evolve or pokemon that require training in certain areas to evolve.. but that would come with experience mainly.

For the youngsters I'd recommend a Walkthrough Guide. You can buy them in stores or you can view one online. They tend to inform you what to do if you're completely stuck.

Overall, I'd say it's educating and suitable. With experience he will be able to tend to the more challenging aspects of the game.

I would assume that its not highly difficult for kids to play pokemon games. My 7 years old daughter plays it with no difficulties so far. It's not too hard to understand (overallof the game), so i would think it will be fine to get the game for your kid.

Then again, my daughter watched the pokemon shows before, so she enjoys it a lot bevause she knows whats going on.