Purchase links:
Predator
Price: £21.99
Notes: Matte Finish. Limited to 3000 Copies
1 disc editon-3D and 2D version on 1 BD disc

pred.jpg

pred3.jpg pred2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that an embossed 3D logo I see?:LOL:, is the 3d transfer on this any good? if so I might bite at under £15.
Title and 3d logo are embossed on the Zavvi. I haven't watched it yet, but I have read a lot of testimonials from good sources that say the 3D version is better than the 2D versions (different transfer). I hope there is some truth in that! (Meaning, having a great 3d version is great...but also need a great 2d version as well!!).

• Helpful Post
Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
Title and 3d logo are embossed on the Zavvi. I haven't watched it yet, but I have read a lot of testimonials from good sources that say the 3D version is better than the 2D versions (different transfer). I hope there is some truth in that! (Meaning, having a great 3d version is great...but also need a great 2d version as well!!).
Thank's for the info buddy, surprised this hasn't had a remastered steel like Robocop and Rocky, could do with one.:thumbs:

Reactions: C.C. 95
Doesn't this release include both transfers though? I'll probably get it when/if it drops below a tenner, it seems doubtful we'll ever get a decent HD release of Predator, at least this side of consumer 4K releases

Yes, this version is NOT the 'wax museum' transfer.
So, you reckon all the reviewers, e.g., at highdefdigest.com, blu-ray.com, avforums.com, hometheaterforum.com all got their facts wrong in their Predator 3D Blu-ray reviews?

"hugely disappointing transfer from the Ultimate Hunter Edition", "But let us just confirm that this 3D version is taken from the same DNR’d Ultimate Waxfest Edition that horrified us all back in 2010", "The 2D transfer is the identical one from the highly denigrated 2010 release, and the 3D rendering has used this same digitally scrubbed master for its conversion" ...

Reactions: schrute farms
So, you reckon all the reviewers, e.g., at highdefdigest.com, blu-ray.com, avforums.com, hometheaterforum.com all got their facts wrong in their Predator 3D Blu-ray reviews?

"hugely disappointing transfer from the Ultimate Hunter Edition", "But let us just confirm that this 3D version is taken from the same DNR’d Ultimate Waxfest Edition that horrified us all back in 2010", "The 2D transfer is the identical one from the highly denigrated 2010 release, and the 3D rendering has used this same digitally scrubbed master for its conversion" ...
What I do know for certain, is the Zavvi 3D is the version using a modern codec, and this transfer was signed off on by the DP, Donald MacAlpine. What is also true, is both the 2008 transfer and the Zavvi 3D edition both
come from less than great source materials (i.e. They did the best they could).
It becomes a subjective matter of taste, though we know the DP of film prefers the version on the Zavvi 3D.
(Strangely, that is not always a great thing. Example: Michael Mann wanted Public Enemies to look like a videotaped mess). Just check them out and see which one suits you.

What I do know for certain, is the Zavvi 3D is the version using a modern codec, and this transfer was signed off on by the DP, Donald MacAlpine.
Yes, this (and every other Predator 3D) release is based on the 2010 MPEG-4 MVC encoded, heavily DNR'd Ultimate Hunter Edition, commonly known as the "wax museum" transfer.

The first, year 2008 release was a low bit-rate MPEG-2 encoded transfer which had a different set of problems.
Yes, this version is NOT the 'wax museum' transfer.
If you are still of this opinion, I'd suggest reading a few Predator UHE or Predator 3D Blu-ray reviews or comparing the 2008 Blu-ray with this release.