Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Purchase:
Zavvi - £19.99
Base - £14.99
Release: June 1st, 2015
Notes: Empire Online are holding another Steelbook design competition... See here for full details.
We're giving you the chance to design the cover for the Predestination Steelbook Blu-ray. Your artwork will be immortalised in steel - and available to buy from major retailers if you impress the judge, Ethan Hawke himself.

The Oscar-nominated actor will choose his favourite artwork for the Home Entertainment release of Predestination and Signature Entertainment will turn it into the steelbook cover of the film, crediting your name on the packaging.

You'll also win copies of the Blu-ray and a 10 film sci-fi bundle also courtesy of Signature.

front.jpg

back.jpg interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen it at the cinema, but watched the trailers on youtube, and that's where the problem lies.

I've checked some of the scenes in the trailer and compared to the UK disc, and its cropped (left and right sides chopped off), so the image is zoomed in to fill a 16:9 widescreen TV.

Again, didn't bother me as the film & image quality is still excellent, but understandably will annoy some.

Cheers for that. Another forum on the interweb suggests that the UK transfer is actually open matte (i.e. originally shot in 16:9, but released with mattes rendering it 2.35:1 at the cinema), so although we're missing out on the theatrical aspect ratio, we're actually gaining picture top and bottom. What I find more annoying is the fact that we in the UK seem to be getting shafted (again) over special features. I see the US version comes with a meaty making of amongst others, yet we miss out. I'm liking this design, but if we're going to get an inferior product (with no good reason) I may wait for a potential drop in price...

the replay value in it for me is not for a solo show unless a year or more away ... the replay value for me is more about WHO I am wanting to show this flick to. ie. the experience. I'll rewatch movies with friends or fam that I want them to experience then I enjoy seeing their reactions etc. So this movie IMO has replay value if you like that sort of thing. Cause when people figure it out .... priceless.

I understand what you're saying. I guess my approach/rationale when purchasing any steelbooks is I check if I see myself watching it more than couple times to get my money's worth. I consider MY NEED for it primarily before start thinking if my friends and/or family will find it interesting. Steelbook hobby is a premium and becoming more expensive by day and that's why I rarely go to theatres these days. Only time I watch in the big screen (besides when my girlfriend wants to see a romantic comedy) is if the movie IMHO deserves it like Tron Legacy, Gravity, Avengers, Interstellar, GotG - in short titles that has high impact and rich visual effects that takes the watching experience into elevated level which obviously my 55" TV at home couldn't provide. I figure that $15-20 (with snack during the movie) could be spent on the steelbook price tag instead. :happy:

I understand ... I used to be exact same. As I've gotten older I find just as much enjoyment of sharing a good movie with friends and family and experiencing it all over. Most often with "tense" movies or those of the likes of Marvel.

One example is I love recommending "Warrior" to folks .... no one has ever came back and said bad things. Its a great film , much more than just fighting. For many I'm sure they may think of Predestination as a one time watch ... but it does seem the type of sci fi flick that merits rewatches every few years once you forget a bit etc. But alas it might fall into the realm of "The Sixth Sense" with me in the end ... where I literally don't need to see that film but like once every 10 years. Great film, but stays on the mind too much to want to sit through it until I've forgotten a good bit of it.

I've never seen the film, but if you have a little imagination this steelbook kinda spoils the film if I'm right in my assumption
Yeah, I suppose it can be seen as a bit spoiler-ish...

...especially with that slip (which I actually really like).

Just in case zavvis £19.99 price didn't tempt you, I can announce a price INCREASE to £21.99.....:rolleyes:
If that isn't tempting, I don't know what is.
:rofl: clearly they want people to order from Base instead.
That's where I've pre-ordered from for now, but if it turns up on Amazon chances are I'll cancel and go with them instead.

Just in case zavvis £19.99 price didn't tempt you, I can announce a price INCREASE to £21.99.....:rolleyes:

If that isn't tempting, I don't know what is.

Jesus wept! Much as I like the artwork and am intrigued by the film, this is taking the piss. Also, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the lack of any decent extras is a major sticking point. Do I cave in and purchase from Base (cheaper but still pretty steep for a niche film) on the off chance that this is limited quantities and may sell out, or do I wait for a potential price drop and hope there are sufficient quantities available?

I like the artwork, but I may need to change the disk to the american version. The lack of special features is unfortunate.