Previously released steelbooks with Mondo artwork

Slinchafi

Vinyl Ninja
Premium Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Slovenia
I know there have been a few, but cannot remember all of them off the top of my head.

The Raid UK, art by Jock:
raid-steelbook.png

And the German release as well:

50174_large.jpg

Although he also did artwork for The Raid 2, I don't think it was commissioned by Mondo.

Ender's Game, art by Martin Ansin:
endersgame-jpg.468546

Was there anything else?

Last edited:
It does get to be confusing when it's not a "Mondo" piece, but the artwork is done by a Mondo artist on the side.

I know. I have it, lol. But this is the "previously released Steelbooks with Mondo artwork" thread. That Poster that the Steelbook was based on wasn't a Mondo print.
ho, didnt know it wasnt a mondo steel...

Do you know if Sharknado UK, Losers UK and Gi Joe 2 were mondo ? i think i heard people saying it was mondo
images

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7a/3c/71/7a3c712fdfd709a22e70df37f95b2d34.jpg
http://www.dvd-forum.at/img/uploade...edition-blu-ray-steelbook-mondo-bild-news.jpg

@runk0002 they aren't mondo. But Losers is art done by Jock who is known to do a lot of Mondo work.

I guess the biggest difference for this thread is art that was previously on something from Mondo that then got put on a SteelBook. Not Artists who have worked for Mondo but also for others.

Sounds like we just need a thread showcasing Artists work on SteelBook. This way one could see all of Jock's offerings including his Mondo work.

Reactions: dfoles and bonakaze
It does get to be a little confusing when it's a Mondo artist doing something on the side.

I wouldn't say Jock is a "Mondo artist" nor would any artist doing a non Mondo print be considered "side work". These guys are artists, and Jock is actually considered a comic book artist. When I met Jock at Chicago Comic Con I felt weird being the only guy who didn't have a comic book for him to sign. You know, there were guys in line who were super geeked about the work he did on one of their favorite books and I'm standing there with a copy of The Raid in my hands. He was still super proud of his steelbooks but even the Con guide listed him as a "comic book artist".

So yeah, it does get confusing. A lot of artists who do work for Mondo also do work for other art galleries, comic book studios, movie & television studios and even advertising. Mark Englert designed a Jurassic World edition of Barbasol Shaving Cream.

Rich Kelly did the Winter Soldier poster for Mondo but also did Dr. Strangelove for Gallery1988 which was released as a steelbook.

Jock's The Raid was Mondo but The Raid 2 was commissioned by the studio.

A lot of great artists out there getting their work on steelbooks and blu-rays but as it is there are only 4 steelbooks with Mondo art that aren't included in the X line; The Raid UK & DE, Ender's Game UK and True Detective.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Jock is a "Mondo artist" nor would any artist doing a non Mondo print be considered "side work". These guys are artists, and Jock is actually considered a comic book artist. When I met Jock at Chicago Comic Con I felt weird being the only guy who didn't have a comic book for him to sign. You know, there were guys in line who were super geeked about the work he did on one of their favorite books and I'm standing there with a copy of The Raid in my hands. He was still super proud of his steelbooks but even the Con guide listed him as a "comic book artist".

So yeah, it does get confusing. A lot of artists who do work for Mondo also do work for other art galleries, comic book studios, movie & television studios and even advertising. Mark Englert designed a Jurassic World edition of Barbasol Shaving Cream.

Rich Kelly did the Winter Soldier poster for Mondo but also did Dr. Strangelove for Gallery1988 which was released as a steelbook.

Jock's The Raid was Mondo but The Raid 2 was commissioned by the studio.

A lot of great artists out there getting their work on steelbooks and blu-rays but as it is there are only 4 steelbooks with Mondo art that aren't included in the X line; The Raid UK & DE, Ender's Game UK and True Detective.
Yeah, as I was typing it, it felt wrong. More like Mondo is the side work.

Reactions: C.C. 95
@blumaster @dfoles

I can chime in a bit, Jock in particular is an artist, he does everything from working with Mondo on prints to working with Image comics and other comic studios on comics like his Wytches and then he also has concept art for movies like Ex Machina, Dredd, Hana, the Losers.

That said I was at SDCC and I had him sign a Wytches 1 comic book and a Pans Labyrinth steelbook all while buying the Wytches Mondo poster at the Mondo booth. So really he is just an artist that plies his craft. Be it Comics, Concept Art, or whatever and even crossovers between the two. If you see the mondo wytches poster the image logo is also on the print along with the mondo logo.

You can tell he likes the steelbooks and I even think he gets into it a bit with how the steelbooks look, which art to use etc and regardless what you bring him, if it is his art he is happy that you as a fan like it.

Reactions: dfoles