Projector Screens

Jul 11, 2013
Hi guys,

Need some help with getting a PJ Screen for my setup.

Most of the ones I've seen seem to be 4:3, I presume this means any 16:9 title would showcase black bars like DVD's would have appeared in the past.

For convenience I was thinking of a floor pull up screen. Are these still recommended? How do they compare to the motorized screens in terms of viewing quality?

Any advice, help appreciated.

G

I don't know what your setup is like, but many years ago when I lived in the US, I had a WXGA projector and I painted and matted a screen directly on the wall.

They do make paint specifically for it, but I went a different route and just chose a flat paint (didn't need the extra light reflection of a semi-gloss or anything) extremely similar in color to the projection paint.

I Then painted the screen and added some black material on sliding rods that I could open or close as needed for different aspect ratios. All in all, it cost me about $40 in materials and probably 5 or 6 hours all together, but it was fantastic and I used it for about 3 years until I moved to Japan.

Having it right on the wall was most convenient because, even with the fabric matting, it didn't stick any further out from the wall than a typical painting or poster frame.

Reactions: SteelbookGuy