'Prometheus' - In theaters June 8, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63940

With all of the announcements of upcoming movies being planned for 3D over the next few years, one would expect that whether or not an upcoming tentpole movie will be in 3D is going to replace the "PG-13 vs. R" question that most filmmakers tend to get. The latest movie that seems to be going that route is Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox's planned Alien Prequel.

UK sci-fi site Shadow Locked had a chance to talk with art director Roger Christian who worked on Star Wars and Alien, and they asked him about the direction Scott might take with a prequel, the two of them having worked together on the original movie. Besides dropping the fact that it will be shot in 3D, he hinted at a possible trilogy in the franchise's future.

He told them: "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D. Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody."

Christian met with Scott, but hasn't confirmed that he might be involved with the new prequel, reuniting the duo for the first time in over 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meredith Vickers
I still think that she was a clone, or a better android (a higher-spec model?) than David. Look at the way she talked down to him. Look at most of the scenes where he deferred to her. Even more telling is the way David addressed her as "Ma'am". To me it sounded a lot like "Mom". Ridley, you sneaky director you, you really are mind-frakking with us (or with me, at the very least!). Also, she addressed Weyland as "Father". A red herring?

Or (far-fetched theory here, so please bear with me) was she a daughter / wife of Weyland who died and he had cloned, and she later found out about it? That might explain some of the resentment that she showed just before she called him "Father". Also, her anger towards David when she wanted to know what Weyland said (and David responded, "Try harder") shows me that she was expressing the childlike need for acceptance (does my Father approve, et. al.)

I had thought about it that way too.

The clone sounds a lot more believable than a robot like David. Talking down to a machine is a normal human behavior IMO. We wouldn't talk as we are the same to things we create, it's just simply how we think. There's definitely some jealousy on part of Vickers towards David, I recall a scene where they refer to him as almost Weyland son(?). perhaps not in those words, but that's the reference I took with me.

So if Vickers is Weyland's daughter of sorts, she's definitely jealous of Weyland's preference for David over her.

I had thought about it that way too.

The clone sounds a lot more believable than a robot like David. Talking down to a machine is a normal human behavior IMO. We wouldn't talk as we are the same to things we create, it's just simply how we think. There's definitely some jealousy on part of Vickers towards David, I recall a scene where they refer to him as almost Weyland son(?). perhaps not in those words, but that's the reference I took with me.

So if Vickers is Weyland's daughter of sorts, she's definitely jealous of Weyland's preference for David over her.

You are right:

There was the orientation meeting with the hologram of Weyland. If I remember right he referred to David as the son he never had. This in turn the camera panned to Vickers who had a very disturbed look on her face with it backed by some sort of jealous feeling.

Also the scene where Vickers asks what Weyland said, towards the end of the scene she says she is going to find out what makes he run or tick (something to that effect) and rip it out. (Sorry I cant remember these things verbatim). This may suggest she is a superior droid or as Horhay said maybe just her being a jealous human who has little acceptance of inferior robots.

You are right:

There was the orientation meeting with the hologram of Weyland. If I remember right he referred to David as the son he never had. This in turn the camera panned to Vickers who had a very disturbed look on her face with it backed by some sort of jealous feeling.

Also the scene where Vickers asks what Weyland said, towards the end of the scene she says she is going to find out what makes he run or tick (something to that effect) and rip it out. (Sorry I cant remember these things verbatim). This may suggest she is a superior droid or as Horhay said maybe just her being a jealous human who has little acceptance of inferior robots.

That is definitely the scene I am talking about.

Personally, I find the clone/daughter theory a lot more plausible than her being a robot. She definitely had her own agenda, but I guess we might have to wait until a sequel of sorts to find out about Weyland's past. Isn't that why they got Guy Pearce for the old man? :p

That is definitely the scene I am talking about.

Personally, I find the clone/daughter theory a lot more plausible than her being a robot. She definitely had her own agenda, but I guess we might have to wait until a sequel of sorts to find out about Weyland's past. Isn't that why they got Guy Pearce for the old man? :p

Exactly! Even more disturbing is when Vickers tells Shaw not to initiate any contact with the Engineers without involving her first. This leads me to the following possibilities:

1) She truly wanted to help her Father gain immortality.
2) She had already begun to resent her Father to the point of wanting him dead. Her words still echo in my subconscious: "A King has his reign and then he dies..."
3) She wanted immortality for herself. Selfishness is most definitely a human trait.

I must say, I'm enjoying this discussion we're having about Prometheus. When you end up discussing the underlying themes and storyline about a movie more than the special FX and CGI, you know that you have a potential winner (and cult-favourite) on your hands.

I just thought of something else. Weyland did not learn the lesson of Prometheus. Quite simply, you do not procure something (substitute immortality for fire) that does not belong to you. There are consequences. I guess he found that out the hard way.

Reactions: bigrob
My gf brought up something that I didn't think about.

Why did Weyland assume he could be saved? I think that it's perhaps the human mentality that whatever you create you should be able to fix.

My personal thought on this, is that if you create something whatever it is, you usually create it with a safeguard or kill switch mind you. I think Weyland thought about this in identical form. Otherwise there he wouldn't have spent trillion dollars in sending them in deep space to find the answers we've been looking for.

I also thought the whole science religion aspect was very interesting, RS really dug deep with this to the point. This is what made Shaw so much more interesting to me.

FYI - this is not a religion thread so keep the bashing to yourself and stay on topic.

Man I thought this movie was brilliant. The conversation going in this thread pretty much sums up all the questions and thoughts I had in my head.

But the one that kills me the most that is in the spoiler below and my thoughts on the movie:

What is happening in the opening scene of the movie when the engineer kills?/sacrifices? himself? Is he the one actually creating life? or trying to kill us somehow?

The other big one that I wanna know is wtf did David ask the engineer before he gets mutilated by him?

The obvious ones are why did they wanna kill humans after creating them and the other obvious one is wtf is it that killed them from leaving that planet and are they actually on the human's side perhaps? not wanting humans to die by their creator?

All in all what an amazing thought provoking film IMO. Very intense at times too. Ridley Scott raises some very big philosophical questions man kind has along with spirituality, religion and curiosity in a unique way. In the end my take away was that he's trying to say is "curiosity killed the cat"... do we really wanna dig that far into our past and origins and wether its worth it. Cant we just enjoy what we have sort of deal.

Man I thought this movie was brilliant. The conversation going in this thread pretty much sums up all the questions and thoughts I had in my head.

But the one that kills me the most that is in the spoiler below and my thoughts on the movie:

What is happening in the opening scene of the movie when the engineer kills?/sacrifices? himself? Is he the one actually creating life? or trying to kill us somehow?

The other big one that I wanna know is wtf did David ask the engineer before he gets mutilated by him?

The obvious ones are why did they wanna kill humans after creating them and the other obvious one is wtf is it that killed them from leaving that planet and are they actually on the human's side perhaps? not wanting humans to die by their creator?

All in all what an amazing thought provoking film IMO. Very intense at times too. Ridley Scott raises some very big philosophical questions man kind has along with spirituality, religion and curiosity in a unique way. In the end my take away was that he's trying to say is "curiosity killed the cat"... do we really wanna dig that far into our past and origins and wether its worth it. Cant we just enjoy what we have sort of deal.

At the beginning of the movie, the Engineer is sacrificing himself to create life. But then that begs the question: is the Engineer doing this willingly? Or better yet, do they know that they are going to die when they ingest that fluid? They could have been lied to by rulers of the Engineers with something along the lines of, "Take this serum and you will rule this world forever". Also, the Engineer's sacrifice did not seem noble to me, in the manner in which he died. He suffered. Anyone could plainly see that. There's a few metaphors in there, which I'll leave for others to explore, but there's a reason why the Engineer suffered so brutally.

Another thing that I have thought of, and it is religious and I honestly don't mean any offence to anyone. In the interview snippet posted earlier in this thread, Ridley mentioned that they considered portraying Jesus as an Engineer and the reason they wanted us destroyed is because Jesus was crucified. The Engineers saw that as the trigger-point of the downfall of Humanity. What if other key religious figures / deities, etc. were also Engineers? I am thinking along the lines of Buddha, the Prophet Mohammed, John the Baptist, Ram and Lutchman from the Ramayan, et. al.

As for the curiosity that killed the cat trait, Humans are inherently curious. This sense of curiosity has invariably led to great discoveries (scientific, geographic, etc.), but it has also had negative consequences. I think that most, if not all things in life, are a double-edged sword.

At the beginning of the movie, the Engineer is sacrificing himself to create life. But then that begs the question: is the Engineer doing this willingly? Or better yet, do they know that they are going to die when they ingest that fluid? They could have been lied to by rulers of the Engineers with something along the lines of, "Take this serum and you will rule this world forever". Also, the Engineer's sacrifice did not seem noble to me, in the manner in which he died. He suffered. Anyone could plainly see that. There's a few metaphors in there, which I'll leave for others to explore, but there's a reason why the Engineer suffered so brutally.

Another thing that I have thought of, and it is religious and I honestly don't mean any offence to anyone. In the interview snippet posted earlier in this thread, Ridley mentioned that they considered portraying Jesus as an Engineer and the reason they wanted us destroyed is because Jesus was crucified. The Engineers saw that as the trigger-point of the downfall of Humanity. What if other key religious figures / deities, etc. were also Engineers? I am thinking along the lines of Buddha, the Prophet Mohammed, John the Baptist, Ram and Lutchman from the Ramayan, et. al.

As for the curiosity that killed the cat trait, Humans are inherently curious. This sense of curiosity has invariably led to great discoveries (scientific, geographic, etc.), but it has also had negative consequences. I think that most, if not all things in life, are a double-edged sword.

agreed.

As for the opening scene explanation posed...
it seems like a way too "impure" way or a way that is just too unlikely to start the human race. It was too painful and full of hurt... not to mention that was the same stuff that was to be used to kill the humans after by the engineers.... but to be honest that was my guess too as I originally posted that it was the creation of humans is whats going on in that first scene.

Im just fascinated with this movie and the discussion here is so thought provoking... I love it!

The title of Prometheus as a metaphor

In your opinion and in the context of this film, what does the title of Prometheus refer to? On the surface, most people would say that it's the name of the ship in the movie. Granted, yes, it's called that. However for me, there's a few more possibilities:

1. Prometheus could refer to Weyland who wishes to steal indefinite life (and give it to himself).
2. Prometheus could refer to David who wishes to be more human than Human.
3. Prometheus could refer to the Engineers who gave the fire of life to Humanity.

In your opinion and in the context of this film, what does the title of Prometheus refer to? On the surface, most people would say that it's the name of the ship in the movie. Granted, yes, it's called that. However for me, there's a few more possibilities:

1. Prometheus could refer to Weyland who wishes to steal indefinite life (and give it to himself).
2. Prometheus could refer to David who wishes to be more human than Human.
3. Prometheus could refer to the Engineers who gave the fire of life to Humanity.

Those are all good possibilities....

I think the explanation that Weyland himself gives is about as good as it gets for the name of the ship.

But from a movie name standpoint... tough call. I really do think its just the obvious... the ships name, lol. But those 3 points you offer are damn good possibilities. If I had to add a 4th maybe Prometheus refers to the place/planet where the Engineers are sabotaged from leaving to go destroy humanity... buts that a stretch.

Reactions: ripclaw
I guess one of the questions that we had has an answer:

On the grand list of Big Questions left by Ridley Scott‘s Prometheus, one item that probably falls somewhere down in the lower third is “what the hell did David say to the Engineer?”

Well, we can’t tell you specifically what the black goo is, or what it has to do with the green goo, or what the sea monkey in Holloway’s eye was all about, but we can answer that burning lower third mystery. (And a burning lower third mystery sounds like something you should really get checked out.)

Here’s how this works: the ancient language being studied by David (Michael Fassbender) is actually Proto-Indo-European (PIE), and the man giving him a hologram lesson is played by Dr. Anil Biltoo of the SOAS Language Centre in London. Dr. Biltoo is also the language consultant for the film, and he has provided a translation of David’s dialogue from his meeting with the Engineer.

The Bioscopist tracked down Dr. Biltoo, who explained that the line we hear spoken by David is really just the opening to a longer conversation between David and the Engineer, which was cut from the final film.

Here’s the line that David speaks to the Engineer, and the consultant’s translation of it:

/ida hman?m a? kja nam?tuh zd?:taha/…/gh??vah-pjorn-?ttham sas da:t? kredah/

A serviceable translation into English is:

‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.

Not much of a revelation, I know. That’s text we might have guessed. But every little detail is valuable in making up the overall picture. There’s a bit more detail and discussion here.

Dr. Biltoo was also evidently complimentary about Fassbender’s effort to learn the full PIE text of Schleicher’s Fable, a work composed in 1868 as PIE was being reconstructed by linguists. A bit of the fable is heard in the film early on, but most of Fassbender’s recital was cut. More material for the director’s cut!

I wonder if we'll get the full conversation in a director's cut or the Blu-ray.

Reactions: Jason Bourne
I guess one of the questions that we had has an answer:

I wonder if we'll get the full conversation in a director's cut or the Blu-ray.

sweet. that answers one of them then.
Pretty obvious answer I guess since that is what Weyland asks's David to ask the engineer

A scene I'd love to see in the Director's Cut is where
the Engineers are interacting with early Mankind, which led to those cave paintings.

Also, did anyone notice the egg that was on the platform (in front of the big head, I think) that looked eerily similar to the eggs that an Alien Queen lays? It was the one where Holloway almost touched it and then thought better of it.

Horhay, to answer (or at the very least, comment) on your points:

The opening scene
It's not made clear that that is Earth, but we may assume that it is. Yes, the Engineer sacrificed himself. Is that one of the (possible) reasons that Humanity is flawed? That we inherited the life from the death of another? Shouldn't the Engineers have realised that their experiment would go wrong because of this?

Meredith Vickers
I still think that she was a clone, or a better android (a higher-spec model?) than David. Look at the way she talked down to him. Look at most of the scenes where he deferred to her. Even more telling is the way David addressed her as "Ma'am". To me it sounded a lot like "Mom". Ridley, you sneaky director you, you really are mind-frakking with us (or with me, at the very least!). Also, she addressed Weyland as "Father". A red herring?

Or (far-fetched theory here, so please bear with me) was she a daughter / wife of Weyland who died and he had cloned, and she later found out about it? That might explain some of the resentment that she showed just before she called him "Father". Also, her anger towards David when she wanted to know what Weyland said (and David responded, "Try harder") shows me that she was expressing the childlike need for acceptance (does my Father approve, et. al.)

The Engineers
They were running from their creation(s) that went out of control. They did not foresee the extent of the danger from what they had created (or Engineered). It wouldn't be the first time experiments have come back to bite you (quite literally in this case!).

What do you think?

My take is this,

The opening scene
I had a discussion on this part the most with the people I saw the movie with, wheter it was Earth or possibly the engineers home planet and if he was an engineer who did not agree with his fellow engineers to kill the humans. We see a spaceship leaving at the beginning of the movie, and we assume they are creating life but if the engineers share our DNA it could likely have jsut been their home planet which would need water and be made up very similarly to Earth in order for them to live.

I was not convinced it that was the creation of man. And like others mentioned I would love to see scenes of the engineers influencing humans throughout history.

Meredith Vickers
I may be in the minority but I do actually think she was human. Why would she be in stasus and David not. We see her sweating (although that could be her superior technology), and I had another point but it just slipped...

The Engineers
I thought that the creations (eggs/cannisters) were no more than weapons to destroy the humans. David and either another character or both from him said two interesting things. "To create llife you have to destroy it" i.e. the engineers experimented with humans (beta models) and were done and ready to move on to the next phase but they either needed earth or couldn't just leave their experiment unsupervised. Could support our similarities with humans if you beleive Vickers was a superior robot. David is an early model with no feelings and she is the later one with feelings and emotions (jealousy and anger) and a need to prove herself a more human trait which David cannot grasp. Althoug I still think she was a natural daughter.

And someone says something along the lines of the engineers being smart enough not to create a WMD on their hime world in case it got out of hand. Those were experimental weapons not experiments for more life.

Prometheus sequel confirmed by Fox

Sequel has been confirmed: http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/8/1/fox-confirms-prometheus-sequel-and-more.html

One of the movies that's definitely going to get a sequel is Ridley Scott's Prometheus. I think we all knew it was coming, especially after how they ended the first film. They left it wide open! But Fox officially confirmed with them that they are indeed moving forward on it, but that they aren't rushing it. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are both signed on to reprise their roles, and they hope to release the sequel in 2014 or 2015.

this film was awesome, the most inportant thing about any film is the story and the plot was great. saw this in 3d and pre-ordered the steelbook, I'm a big alien fan and rumours that this could be first of a trilogy