Protecting Mondo Steelbooks

Ultron96

Premium Supporter
Sep 2, 2014
Kent, UK
Hi everyone,

Today I got my first Mondo steelbooks, and thought I'd create a thread to ask about protecting them.

They do not fit the SC2 Protective Sleeves that I usually buy for my steelbooks from eBay, and although the Mondo slip covers are almost like protection for the steelbooks, I would also like to protect the slip covers from getting any scratches!

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you do? I would prefer not to use those steelbook bag things, I really hate them.

Thanks! :happy::thumbs:

Does anyone have any experience with the plastic wrap that comes with mondo steelbooks causing damage to the slipcovers/steelbooks?

I've had this problem with regular blu-rays where I would leave the plastic wrap on as a form of protection for a long time, and then when I would eventually open it, the plastic wrap on some blu-rays would be "melted" and kind of fused to the spine of the case.

Until I can get some protective sleeves, I'm keeping the plastic wrap that came on my steelbooks on as a way to prevent scratching of the slipcovers. I'm slightly worried that when I finally open the wrapping, that the wrapping will have stuck to or been melted onto the slipcover.

The problem you describe with Blu Amaray plastic is the same as DVD plastic - they are often accidentallty glued to the case on the packing line, not melted later.

Reactions: Shaitani
I sprinkle a thin layer of sand over my Mondo babies, it keeps them on the edge!

On a more serious note, I have found the SCF1's fit excellently :D

Reactions: K.i.T
These fit the slip cover that is already on them and the steel together?
Hi @Jawcrc !
I just received some of the SCF1 and yes they fit perfectly with the slipcase and the steelbook.
Sorry @Jawcrc, I didn't see your post! As @wongsifu said, the SCF1s fit Mondos with the slipcover ON absolutely perfectly... As well as they fit other lenticular slip releases :thumbs:

@Ultron96. Thanks that's good to know for the lentis however since I'm fairly new to collecting steelbooks I don't have any of those yet. Hopefully soon though.
Once you get one Asian release with a full slip or lenti slip you'll get hooked ;) I didn't know about them until about them until just under a year ago and now I can't stop collecting them! Look up Plain Archive, Blufans, Nova Media and KimchiDVD steelbooks, they're beautiful :thumbs:

Yeah I have a few film arena coming in the next couple days. And I have novamedia full slip captain winter soldier already.

The problem you describe with Blu Amaray plastic is the same as DVD plastic - they are often accidentallty glued to the case on the packing line, not melted later.

I did not know that. I was wrongly assuming it was melting, sounds like the packing line messed up big time on those.

Have you or anyone else experienced any steelbook releases that have this glue problem?

Not that I know of; but the glue that (unnecessarily) attaches the J-Cards to the Steel is often very difficult.
Yea I had to open up my Dracula Untold steelbook because I got worried when I felt the bump of the glue behind the card.
Sounds like it's relatively safe to leave most steelbooks in their original plastic, just making sure to watch out for these glued j-cards/quarter-slips.

Yea I had to open up my Dracula Untold steelbook because I got worried when I felt the bump of the glue behind the card.
Sounds like it's relatively safe to leave most steelbooks in their original plastic, just making sure to watch out for these glued j-cards/quarter-slips.
Wreck said that after the glue gets hard over time, you can sort of take a lighter to it to soften it up to take it off.
(Carefully of course...)

Wreck said that after the glue gets hard over time, you can sort of take a lighter to it to soften it up to take it off.
(Carefully of course...)

Haha, that's not going to happen. I don't think I'm capable of NOT leaving a huge black discoloration around the glue spot if I did that.
Maybe heating a spoon on the stove and then pressing that against the glob of glue might work more safely?

Reactions: C.C. 95
Haha, that's not going to happen. I don't think I'm capable of NOT leaving a huge black discoloration around the glue spot if I did that.
Maybe heating a spoon on the stove and then pressing that against the glob of glue might work more safely?
You get the general idea! Just heat it up somehow! Spoon idea sounds good!

Reactions: Shaitani
The glue is easy to remove, i use this stuff HERE
Have used it loads of time, it does not damage the steelbook in any way, but completely removes all the glue

The glue is easy to remove, i use this stuff HERE
Have used it loads of time, it does not damage the steelbook in any way, but completely removes all the glue

Many thanks for the Idea and link, i have been using a lighter fluid to remove the glue from the steelbook, but i'm hesitating to use it on the J-card, will that stuff be good for the j-card.

You can altough put your Mondo in SCF3 full enclosed, I just test it's OK ;-).

He is RIGHT, tested that SCF3 too with the Mondo Plastic wrap still on, it was tide but it go in( don't try this if you don't want to damage the plastic wrap of the steelbook), removing the plastic will make it definitively go smoothly in.

However some J-card like the one from Halo legends steelbook does not fit in perfectly > not recommended with cardboard-like j-card.

Many thanks for the Idea and link, i have been using a lighter fluid to remove the glue from the steelbook, but i'm hesitating to use it on the J-card, will that stuff be good for the j-card.

He is RIGHT, tested that SCF3 too with the Mondo Plastic wrap still on, it was tide but it go in( don't try this if you don't want to damage the plastic wrap of the steelbook), removing the plastic will make it definitively go smoothly in.

However some J-card like the one from Halo legends steelbook does not fit in perfectly > not recommended with cardboard-like j-card.

Yes it also works a treat on the J-Card, its really good stuff :thumbs: